Argument is war; thus forum becomes battle ground.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 07:02 pm
Re: Argument is war; thus forum becomes battle ground.
coberst wrote:
Argument is war; thus forum becomes battle ground

" Argument consists of the piecing together of evidentiary fact,
in combination with the ordinary rules of logic and rhetoric
. " (author forgotten)

It is the purpose of arguments to shed light, whereas quarrels shed heat.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 04:15 pm
Defining "argument as war" gives it, perhaps, more dignity than it deserves, since when the Three Stooges disagreed on anything they just had a slapfest. So, with the Three Stooges as one example of people disagreeing openly, then it is hard to think of argument as war. I think argument is something much more mundane.

"Argument" should reflect all arenas, not just a forum, I believe. So, a mother and child arguing is not war. Two young girls screaming at each other is not war. War has casualties. Where are the casualties in a forum debate? No casualties; some people choose to leave a thread, with or without a last word.

I tend to think argument is denial (that other people possibly have a different view of the world that might be more correct than one's own view of the world).
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:52 pm
Chill out, you guys are reading way too much into it.

Coberst was pointing out the fact that sometimes argument especially in online forums grows to be motivated more as a mental exercist, a way to prove your superiority over the other person.

He just came on strongly to offer up a fresh perspective and drive the point home.

Frankly, I have no problem with that. Because arguing online is fun. Twisted Evil Yes, it's very much a war, but one without any actual consequences. Just as long as you don't take yourself seriously and believe half the crap that comes out of your mouth. Laughing It gives you a similar adrenaline rush but without the risk of physical harm. Sure it's a waste of time, but so is everything else that you do for fun. Atleast arguing about something intelligent might sharpen your mind a little bit in the process. And in the end, even though most arguers would never admit it, most intelligent people end up seeing the other person's point of view as well thus gaining a fresh perspective of the issue in the process.

And if you're someone who doesn't have fun arguing online, you're in the wrong thread.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 02:31 am
Another way that argument resembles war is that both in war and in arguments there is a great deal of bluff and bluster with little intellectual activity.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 05:48 am
Then you're doing it wrong.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:39 pm
I can see war as argument (between nations), but not argument as war between nations. By adding the "nations," like any correct algebraic expression, it should make sense from left to right or right to left.

So, I don't see how argument can be war, if between nations (where most wars occur), argument is not (necessarily) war, but war is argument.

Between nations, argument is more like shuttle diplomacy, I believe.

Considering the "argument is war" original statement is a metaphor, I can't see how this methaphor can be given any official stamp of approval. It hasn't really been used enough to prove its metaphorical mettle, so to speak, metaphorically.
0 Replies

helen GARY

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 08:41 am
debate is war
The reason you will experience the adrenalin rush when someone responds negatively to your text may have more to do with "how" they phrased their arguments, than the fact that you were disagreed with. Most people never access training on how to communicate assertively, and so, phrase their arguments in ways that are not respecting everyones right to their own opinion. Telling someone that their faculties are faulty because they think differently is an insult. Telling someone that you disagree with them based on "facts, references, etc." allows for them to accept your reference or fact and maybe change their mind.
Also, the actual format of most discussion lends itself to conflict. Usually, in a discussion, someone puts out a theory/statement/opinion, and then someone disagrees. Both parties are presenting their viewpoint and have formulated their thoughts based on the knowledge or experience they have. They probably have differing experiences, and set about proving their point of view.
Maybe starting out by merely offering up the facts and knowledge, each has, first, may foster mutually arrived at conclusions.
0 Replies