which version of holy bible is suit for me?

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:42 pm
i am a chinese university student in peking,graduate,i major in internation rilations, i am quite interest in west culture and literature, so firstly i plan to read holy boble,but i dont know which version is suit for me. any advice ,please? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,391 • Replies: 33
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm
Many many people in the west have no relationship with the bible church or Christian religion. As man in my 40's I can say I have never read the bible even though my parents took me to church every sunday for the first 15 years of my life.

I personally do not think you need to read the bible.

Instead, read the rules of cricket and learn about sports played in different countries.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:56 pm
William Wen wrote:
i am a chinese university student in peking,graduate,i major in internation rilations, i am quite interest in west culture and literature, so firstly i plan to read holy boble,but i dont know which version is suit for me. any advice ,please? Rolling Eyes

I am a Chinese university student in Peking. I major in International relations. I am quite interested in western culture and literature so I plan to read the holy bible but dont know which version is suitable for me. Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:59 pm
you mean we can pick the one that suits us? I want the one that says that path to heaven is getting as much pussy as possible....
0 Replies

William Wen

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:02 am
Puzzled
thank you for your answer.a few days ago my tutor told me that if i want to known the west culture and literature deeply,i should learn about Christian religion first.then is my tutor wrong?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:21 am
Re: Puzzled
William Wen wrote:
thank you for your answer.a few days ago my tutor told me that if i want to known the west culture and literature deeply,i should learn about Christian religion first.then is my tutor wrong?

In my opinion yes. However as your tutor it would be sensible to do as he requests.

This is an interesting artical.

http://www.victorious.org/translat.htm

I understand sometimes in China it is difficult to access some sites if that is the case let me know and I will reprint the article here.

At the end of the artical several version recommendations are made.

Quote:

Thank you for your answer. A few days ago my tutor told me that if i want to know the western culture and literature deeply, I should learn about the Christian religion first. Is my tutor wrong?
0 Replies

William Wen

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:11 am
thank you very much!
Thanks a lot! i can read that article. i learn a lot from it
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 05:48 am
i'm particularly fond of the "buggre alle this" bible mentioned in "good omens" from neil gaiman and terry pratchet:

Quote:
The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error,
if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five.

2. And bye the border of Dan, fromme the east side to the west side,
a portion for Afher.

3. And bye the border of Afher, fromme the east side even untoe the
west side, a portion for Naphtali.

4. And bye the border of Naphtali, from the east side untoe the west
side, a portion for Manaffeh.

5. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge.
Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte
fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I telle you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone
withe half an oz. of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott
Stucke here alle the liuelong daie in thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workfhoppe.
@ *"AE@;!*

6. And bye the border of Ephraim, from the east fide even untoe the west fide,
a portion for Reuben.*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty-seven verses
in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty-four.
They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:
"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden
Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the
tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying
Where is the flaming sword that was given unto thee?
26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it
down some where, forget my own head next.
27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:02 am
Re: which version of holy bible is suit for me?
William Wen wrote:

Hi William and welcome to the forum,

So there are many versions of the Bible.

In Islam, we do not have this issue, as there is a one and only Arabic version of the Holy Qur'an.

Greetings.

muslim1
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:45 am
Re: which version of holy bible is suit for me?
muslim1 wrote:
William Wen wrote:

Hi William and welcome to the forum,

So there are many versions of the Bible.

In Islam, we do not have this issue, as there is a one and only Arabic version of the Holy Qur'an.

Greetings.

muslim1

Muslim 1 you are sadly mistaken as are many muslims in your belief.

The Koran's revelations did not come at one stretch but at brief intervals (revelations spoken in Medina came later than those of Mecca) and these were at first committed to memory. The caliphate of Umar, (the second caliph - literally the deputy of the Prophet), and later caliphate of Uthman (644-656), his successor, collected all the verses and the first authorized version of Koran was established. Though this version is considered as the authentic version today, there are other variant versions that are also accepted and recognized by the Muslims. The original version was in Kufic script and contained no vowels or distinguishing, diacritical points that has led to some interpretive differences in the subsequent versions.

http://www.boloji.com/spirituality/057.htm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:17 am
Try a Google search of comparative bibles. Some sites have several versions displayed side by side.

That may do for a start.

Also, the bible HAS been translated into Chinese.

Quote:
This is an interesting artical.
This is an interesting article.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:27 am
Hi William, welcome to A2K. Very Happy

I personally think that maybe it might be "easier" if you learn first about Western literature and philosophy, and then read the Bible later. You may want to just get a general idea of what is in the Bible for now through various sources.

The Bible itself is not a book to read like a novel in 3 hours. You may want to read it in small portions and take the time to reflect on it.

I would not say that your tutor is wrong, it is his own opinion, and is just as valid as anyone else's.
0 Replies

William Wen

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:33 am
THANK YOU cello!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:36 am
Wen,

Read the King James version. It isn't the most authoritative, but it is the most common. I'm a Buddhist, but fully concur with your instructor's opinion that a good understanding of Christianity is useful. European values and attitudes from at least the 4th century largely result from Christian thought.

Imagine a Western student trying to fully understand Chinese culture and history without a solid exposure to the writings of Confucius and Lao Tsz. The Christian religion and bible plays a similar in how modern Western culture evolved.

The King James Bible is more than a religious tract, its influence in English literature is profound. The King James isn't a particularly great or authoritative translation of the religions primary documents written in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, Latin and etc. It is noteworthy for its use of the English language. Many of the great novels and poems in English are derived from stories, or even phrases found in the King James Bible.

Read the King James as pretty good literature, mediocre history, and often confusing religion. There are some memorable stories and poetry in the book. It is a collection of materials, most of them short or of moderate length, that evolved roughly between 500 BCE and 500 CE.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:17 am
But note that the King James version is not a text that is useful in learning conversational English or in learning moderate thought on Christianity. It is the version most quoted by fundamentalists and least relied on as accurate (with respect to translation) by Christian scholars.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:14 pm
I completely agree that the King James Bible, as I said above is not an authoritative translation of primary sources. The English language of the King James has been out of fashion for four hundred years, but is still cited for its richness. However, this student's assignment isn't to become a Christian theologian, or to brush up his English usage by reading the Bible.

I believe this is and excellent assignment to help a student from a very different culture gain insight and understanding about the foundations of modern Western culture. European history, literature, and fundamental values all spring either directly from Christianity, or in reaction to it. These days it is fashionable, especially among those who regard themselves as being intelligent modern humanists, to ridicule the religious milieu that gave rise to their cultural values.

Scientific-Materialism as a belief system has been very successful, but is far from universal in Western culture. Critics cite the "coldness" and loss of moral/ethical standards that seems to have accompanied the rise of this new "religion". If the strictures of the old religion are shown to rest on crumbling foundations, what will replace them in give order and meaning to social intercourse? Some believe that in the absence of traditional standards of behavior, that the very foundations of our civilization are in danger of being lost.

Religion, especially religion rooted deeply in a culture's past, isn't easily displaced. We humans tend to be very conservative about giving up the religion (whatever it might be) of our ancestors. Religion was likely one of the first social inventions of our species. It defines and binds us together as an interdependent tribe. From religion spring the Taboos that tribal members must conform to. Our species seems to need ritual and ceremony. Our ancient religions assure us that there does exist meaning in the universe, though we may not fully understand what it is.

With the arrival of the Bubonic Plague back in the 15th century CE, the uniformity and stability of the medieval European Christian church was badly shaken. Old dogmas were questioned and found wanting. New technologies (esp. movable print and gunpowder) and a shift of political power to monarchs, helped fuel numerous schisms. Instead of religion flowing from the top down, an increasingly literate population began to read and interpret religion for themselves. The inherent contradictions in the Christian bible led to a bewildering range of religious belief, AND to a serious of brutal religious wars. The King James Bible became the standard English text in the 17th century, and remains the most popular bible even today long after its faults are painfully evident.

The scientific-materialism that has created the bounties and problems of the modern world tends to sneer at an institution based upon faith and denial of what seem to be evident truths. This has sparked a reaction and movement back to what is perceived as being a more "godly" time by significant numbers of people living in the United States. Some are as radically manic as any Radical Islamic Jihadist, but most Americans avoid extremes. Americans who virtually never go to church, or even read their Bible will describe themselves as practicing Christians. The wild and "immoral" behavior of pop stars and celebrities (politicians included) disgust large numbers of our population, but their disapproval only shows up in media coverage of the radical, charismatic churches.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
To answer the question directly as asked, I would recommend the Harper Collins Study Bible -- New Revised Standard Version (with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books). It is an annotated re-translation from the earliest available sources and discusses differences from other versions within the annotations.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:48 am
Wen, I would concur with your tutor that reading the bible will give you insight into western culture.

Many here who have no time for the bible will say it doesn't, yet much of our values, laws, and how we view the world are loosely based on it.

That said, much of our values, laws, and how we view the world have other sources of influence as well, so don't take the bible as any where near authoritative on western culture.

Only the new testament is relevant (as far as I can make out). And I would skip the book of revelations, which doesn't affect the culture at all, except for people being paranoid about the number 666, and armageddon, oh, and hell...well, damned, I guess it does have some effect on our culture. Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:15 am
What JPB said - but I would (later) read more than one translation (a literal translation as well as one which paraphrases).

Since you perhaps don't have access to wikipedia:

Quote:
Differences in Bible translations
Bible translations: Approaches.
As Hebrew and Greek, the original languages of the Bible, have idioms and concepts not easily translated, there is an on going critical tension about whether it is better to give a word for word translation or to give a translation that gives a parallel idiom in the target language. For instance, in the English language Catholic translation, the New American Bible, as well as the Protestant translations of the Christian Bible, translations like the King James Version, the New Revised Standard Version and the New American Standard Bible are seen as literal translations (or "word for word"), whereas translations like the New International Version and New Living Version attempt to give relevant parallel idioms. The Living Bible and The Message are two paraphrases of the Bible that try to convey the original meaning in contemporary language. The further away one gets from word to word translation, the text becomes easier to read while relying more on the theological, linguistic or cultural understanding of the translator, which one would not normally expect a lay reader to require.

Inclusive language
Traditionally, English masculine pronouns have been used interchangeably to refer to the male gender and to all people. For instance, "All men are mortal" is not intended to imply that males are mortal but females are immortal. English language readers and hearers have had to interpret masculine pronouns (and such words as "man" and "mankind") based on context. Further, both Hebrew and Greek, like some of the Latin-origin languages, use the male gender of nouns and pronouns to refer to groups that contain both sexes. This creates some difficulty in determining whether a noun or pronoun should be translated using terms that refer to men only, or generically to men and women inclusively. Context sometimes, but not always, helps determine whether to decode them in a gender-insensitive or gender-specific way.

Contemporary language has changed in many cases to reflect criticism of the use of the masculine gender, which has been characterized as discriminatory. Current style guides, such as APA, MLA, NCTE, and others, have published statements encouraging, and in some cases requiring, the use of inclusive language, which avoids language this approach regards as sexist or class-distinctive.

Until recently, virtually all English translations of the Bible have used masculine nouns and pronouns both specifically (to refer to males) and generically (when the reference is not necessarily gender-specific). Recent examples of translations which incorporate gender-inclusive language include the New Revised Standard Version, the Revised English Bible, and Today's New International Version.
0 Replies

William Wen

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:23 am
Asherman,i quite agree with you though i am not a Christian.i think many problems in contemporary china are caused by tha fact not many chinese have a religion and rapid economic development .from 1960s to 1980s,china experienced a period when abandoning traditional culture such as Confucius and God(lao tian ye in chinese )chinese once believed in.
but i think things are better these years.in the past four years i l studied in Tingtao university where is far from my vellage ,every time i came back to my hometown,i found more and more my villagers became christian.it is a trend .government do not intervene at all.there are four churches in my home town now.
0 Replies