the contemplative life

Gilbey

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
I believe that the contemplative life is the most effective way to reach our true potential as human beings, to contemplate the existence of life, the origin and existence of the universe,the big philosophical and scientific questions, some people say that you cannot live life and understand life simultainiously, but I believe that "life understood is life lived", and the way to do this I believe is to contemplate what we know, as much as we can.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 577 • Replies: 3
No top replies

agrote

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:19 pm
I'd agree that contemplating stuff has plenty of benefits, and it's definitely something I try to devote myself to as a philosopher-in-training.

But I don't know what you mean by "our true potential as human beings". What makes understanding or knowledge our "true potential" or the best aim, or whatever.

Why isn't winning a strong-man competition unlocking your true potential as a human being?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:36 am
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:50 pm
What I mean when I say "true potential as human beings", is that the brain, and for that matter the mind is the most naturally advanced aspect of nature itself, so by the brain/mind, as much as we can, I think therefore we will be able to reach our true human potential, in the most advanced way possible, I hope you understand what it is that I am trying to say, but I find it rather difficult to explain, but I can see it in my mind perfectly.

I believe that our true human potential lies within the mind, what do you think?
0 Replies