Bob Jones Univ.-what a fun place to be

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:35 am
Residence Hall Life

A student must live in one of the University residence halls unless he is living with parents or other close relatives (approved by the Dean of Men's or Dean of Women's office), is 23 years old or older, is married and over the age of 20, or is a graduate student.

New students may request a particular roommate. Returning students may request for a friend to be on their hall or in their residence hall.

For the sake of accountability, students must "check out" when they leave the campus. Students gradually acquire more freedom in this area as they become upperclassmen.

Each night all students meet for prayer, either as a room or together with several other rooms.

Students are required to be in their own rooms and quiet at 11 pm. All lights must be out by midnight.

Students are required to keep their rooms clean and neat. Rooms are inspected daily.

Facilities and furnishings:
Laundry facilities are provided.

All rooms are furnished with twin-sized beds, dressers, desks, closets, cupboards, sink, telephone, and blinds.

Local intranet and high-speed Internet access is available in each residence hall room.

An email account is provided for each student. Due to the flood of objectionable content coming through outside email services, students may use only this filtered campus email system.

All wireless Internet access that bypasses the BJU filters is prohibited. This includes accessing the Internet via cellular phone services (e.g., TMobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc.) and WiMax.

What to Bring
List of what to bring

Students may bring automobiles to campus. However, underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) who are under 21 years old may use their vehicles only to drive home and for extension.

Cell phones are permitted. Students will be instructed in cell phone etiquette.

What Not to Bring
Posters of movie and music stars and fashion models are not permitted. The subjects of personal photos should not exhibit immodesty or inappropriate physical contact.

Music must be compatible with the University's music standards:
New Age, jazz, rock, and country music is not permitted.

Contemporary Christian music is not permitted (e.g., Michael W. Smith, Stephen Curtis Chapman, WOW Worship, and so forth).

Televisions, DVD/videotape players and headphones are not permitted in the residence halls; computer DVD players may not be used to view movies.

You may not possess or play computer and video games rated T, M, A, or E10, or having elements of blood and gore, sensual or demonic themes, or featuring suggestive dress, bad language, or rock music.

Due to space considerations, appliances such as mini-refrigerators and microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms. A refrigerator and microwaves are provided in each residence hall.

Residence hall students may not watch videos above a G rating when visiting homes in town and may not attend movie theaters.

All weapons must be turned in for storage. Trigger locks are required for pistols. Fireworks are not permitted on campus.

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/rhall.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 853 • Replies: 10
No top replies

parados

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:55 am
Quote:
Music must be compatible with the University's music standards:
New Age, jazz, rock, and country music is not permitted.

Good news.. They don't ban Rap or Hip-Hop.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:46 pm
Did you check out their academics. They have a Division of Natural Science. They don't teach astronomy or geology but they do teach physics.

They say this is a list of job opportunities;

Astrophysics
Biophysics
Nuclear and particle physics
Solid state physics
Astronomy
Optics
Engineering
Geophysics
Materials science
Meteorology

This is one of their courses;

Modern Physics
This course investigates the elementary structure of matter, Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, the nature of radioactivity, and the issues involved in estimating the age of the earth.

Let's see, I'm a physicist that believes the earth is 6,000 years old. I shouldn't have a problem getting a job.

http://www.bju.edu/academics/cas/undergrad/divns/physics.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 04:56 pm
Re: Bob Jones Univ.-what a fun place to be
xingu wrote:
Residence Hall Life

A student must live in one of the University residence halls unless he is living with parents or other close relatives (approved by the Dean of Men's or Dean of Women's office), is 23 years old or older, is married and over the age of 20, or is a graduate student.

New students may request a particular roommate. Returning students may request for a friend to be on their hall or in their residence hall.

For the sake of accountability, students must "check out" when they leave the campus. Students gradually acquire more freedom in this area as they become upperclassmen.

Each night all students meet for prayer, either as a room or together with several other rooms.

Students are required to be in their own rooms and quiet at 11 pm. All lights must be out by midnight.

Students are required to keep their rooms clean and neat. Rooms are inspected daily.

I bet they throw the best keg parties in town.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:13 pm
To a degree pretty much all formal education amounts to, among some veryh good things, brain washing, but the latter is nowhere more so than at Bob Jones University. I have relatives who graduated from that mill. They are the most close-minded people I know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:49 pm
should be called BORG JONES UNIVERSITY
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:54 pm
A little trivia - they have one of the best collections of Baroque art in America. Hundreds of paintings, sculptures and drawings showing saints having a moment of rhapsody with God.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:56 pm
Saints?

I thought that was a Catholic thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:57 pm
As much as I despise close mindedness, IMO people have the right to do as they wish. If they want their kids to have that kind of education, far be it from me to tell them what to do.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:04 pm
xingu wrote:
Saints?

I thought that was a Catholic thing.

It is a Catholic thing, doesn't seem to bother the people of Bob J.'s a bit. It's a heck of a collection.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:56 pm
Phoenix, I admire your open-mindedness. I would be very surprised, however, to hear anything like your perspective expressed by a BJ graduate.
I am aware of the close-mindedness I am expressing on this thread. Embarrassed
0 Replies