Canada is Bracing for Universal Health Care in USA

Miller

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:57 am
Doctor shortage predicted to worsen
By JOHN MINER, SUN MEDIA

If you think it's tough to find a doctor in Ontario now, brace yourself for what's happening in the U.S. presidential election campaign, warns the head of a Canadian doctors' group.

With all the presidential candidates vowing to extend health insurance coverage to the about 47 million Americans without it, Canada's doctor supply will be raided, said Brian Day of the Canadian Medical Association.

There's no doubt the promise will be kept and have a dramatic effect on Canada's supply of doctors, Vancouver-based Day said in London.

"We have always been traditionally the biggest source of manpower to the U.S.," he said, adding Americans will also be looking for Canadian nurses and other health-care workers.

More than one million Ontarians have no family doctors, including an estimated 20,000 to 30,000 Londoners -- in a medical-school city.

Ontario is short 2,000 doctors, a report last week by the Canadian Institute of Health Information found.

Already, Canada is losing the equivalent of two medical school graduating classes to the U.S., Day said.

"We can't afford to lose those people because they tend not to come back," he said.

The founder of Canada's first private surgical facility, Day has been called "Dr. Profit" and the "Darth Vader" of health care for stepping outside the publicly funded hospital system.

If Canada and Ontario are going to keep doctors and eliminate waiting lists, the hospital funding system must be overhauled, he said.

The big problem, said Day, is that hospitals get a block grant for their operations.

That means every patient who walks in the door is seen as an expense, eating up part of the hospital's budget.

"It is somewhat easier for the managers because they don't have to worry about selling the product," he said. "You don't have to worry about pleasing the consumer."

Instead, he said, hospitals should be paid for each patient they treat, making patients a source of value to them.

"Hospitals would quickly realize that if they open up operating rooms, they would actually generate more revenue and be able to do more . . . You would see change."

Existing restrictions on operating room time is the reason half of the orthopedic surgeons and half of the neurosurgeons leave Canada, he said.

Day said his own decision to open a private surgical facility came when his operating hours were cut from 22 a week to five by the hospital.

DOCTOR SHORTAGES

- More than one million Ontarians, including 130,000 children, have no family doctor despite huge increases in provincial health spending and the introduction of a $2.5-billion personal health tax.

- In London, as many as 30,000 residents are believed to be without a family doctor.

The London Free Press
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 771 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:25 pm
The solution is simple, though it will take a few years to implement:

The Canadian government pays for medical school, with the proviso the graduated doctor stays in the country to practice for some specific amount of time. There are many Canadians, I believe, that would want to be a doctor, and practice in their own communities, to be of benefit to their own people. For example, the Native American population in towns along the U.S./Canadian border.

In effect, for some, it could be a blessing.

Also, the government can "deputize" nurses and send them to some sort of work/study curriculum to become doctors. Women likely make better doctors in many instances. If that was done, there could be a reverse exodus from the U.S. of nurses.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:38 pm
What you have to know about Dr. Brian Day is that he supports PRIVATE health care. He owns a private, for-profit clinic and wants to promote more of the same.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:41 pm
You should also keep in mind that some of these proposals are going to include compensation at something to the Medicare rate. There will be no lines of doctors waiting to get into practice in the U.S.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:42 pm
Hold my hand, Tai Chi.

I'm frightened.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:43 pm
I was scared when he got elected President of the Canadian Medical Association ehBeth. (I'm not getting any younger.)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:57 pm
Okay, I'll admit I have a problem recognizing sarcasm particularly if I can't hear tone of voice or read facial expression, so I have no idea if my response was appropriate. I will just say I get tired of the U.S. pointing fingers at Canada's admittedly imperfect health care system as if it justifies not providing universal health care to its own citizens.

And I still don't like what Dr. Day stands for. (Geez, you don't suppose he's related to Stockwell do you? That would explain a lot.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:59 pm
Isn't Brian Day fairly recently from Britain?

(trying to recall his voice from interviews I've listened to)

Did you vote for Stockwell Day to change his name to Doris Day? it was a Rick Mercer idea when Stockwell Day was pushing the referendum on any subject idea.

Que Sera, Sera.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:03 pm
Yeah, now you mention it, I think he (Dr.) does have a British accent. Must have brought the idea of a two-tier system with him.

Doris...<snort>...yeah, that was great!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:52 am
statistics are a complex science, and there's always a chance i'm missing something here.

it seems to me that 1 in 7 americans don't have health insurance at all. although there might be times when people that don't have health insurance go to a doctor anyway, let's face it- the big money comes from the insured. i'm not sure that giving 7 of 7 americans healthcare would mean there would be 7 of 7 potential doctors working on those 7 americans, but it does seem like if only 6/7 americans can afford insurance, that's 1/7 doctors already out of work.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:27 am
roger wrote:
...There will be no lines of doctors waiting to get into practice in the U.S.

There will be a physician shortage in the US, greater than the one we apparently have at present.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:27 pm
Miller.
Both Canada and USA are having enough qualified Doctors awaiting to heal the ailing population.
If not Indian Doctors are ready to do this job.
But Canada should come out of the fantacy.
By fantacy i mean the infatuation of American way of life which will drive Canada to the level of USA
Ask the people around you.
My comments are based on practical/personal informations.
0 Replies