Obtaining Euro Passport Through Marriage

el pohl

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:31 pm
Say that I'm getting married. Say that I'm mexican, and lets suppose that she is french. So... whats the actual process until receiving the french passport? How much time shall we be together on the minimum?

If someone knows a bit on the legislation on this subject, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 25,865 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Francis

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:52 pm
The news laws about French nationality say this:

Quote:
Le conjoint étranger ou apatride (sans nationalité) d'un Français peut, après un délai de 4 ans à compter du mariage, acquérir la nationalité française par déclaration, à condition qu'à la date de cette déclaration :

la communauté de vie tant affective que matérielle n'ait pas cessé entre les époux depuis le mariage,

Which means that you can get the French nationality after being married to your French wife for four years (and living with her).
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:46 pm
And what if said Mexican national has French grandparents?

Just curious. Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 01:47 am
Grandparents don't matter, fbaezer.

Quote:
Est français l'enfant, dont l'un des parents au moins est français au moment de sa naissance

You have to have at least one French genitor...
el pohl

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:06 am
And what if said mexican has TWO french grand grandparents? :p

- My my, 4 years... I don't know if I can handle that haha -
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
Or if she can handle that... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:54 pm
A lot of people from outside the EU seem to think they can just marry an EU national and pick up a passport. Generally it takes years just to get a long term visa to stay, let alone citizenship! If you are thinking of marrying an EU citizen just to get a passport, forget it!
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:14 am
Yeah well... my dutch residence permit is taking like 6 months, my work visa if everything goes well will take around 2. Problem is, just like what happens with football players playing in euro leagues that don't have euro passports... I'm at a disadvantage here!

If not through marriage, how else?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:06 am
el_pohl wrote:
Yeah well... my dutch residence permit is taking like 6 months, my work visa if everything goes well will take around 2. Problem is, just like what happens with football players playing in euro leagues that don't have euro passports... I'm at a disadvantage here!

If not through marriage, how else?

Citizenship of an EU state is not something you just walk in and pick up like a Big Mac. We are quite fussy who we let in and who we give citizenship to. (Tried getting in the US lately?)

In the UK if you have had ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), and you have resided for 6 years, or 3 as a spouse, you can apply for naturalisation.

These are the requirements (broadly similar in the rest of the EU)

If you are not married to a British Citizen you will need to meet the following requirements to apply for naturalisation:

You must be aged 18 or over and are not of unsound mind.

You must be of good character.

You should be able to communicate in the English language (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic). There are exemptions to this requirement, for example if you are elderly or mentally handicapped.

You should intend to live in the UK or in Crown Service abroad (working directly for an UK Government organisation), or be employed by an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or be employed by a company or association established in the United Kingdom.

If you are not married to an UK Citizen you will need to meet the following residence requirements over the last six years.

You must have been living in the UK exactly six years before the date the application reaches the Home Office; and

During the six-year period you must not have been outside the United Kingdom for more than 450 days (about 15 months); and

During the last 12 months of the six-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days; and

During the last 12 months of the six-year period your stay in the United Kingdom you must have held permanent residence/ indefinite leave to remain (ILR);

and

You must not have been living in the United Kingdom in breach of the UK immigration rules at any time during the six-year period ending with the date that the application is received by the Home Office.
el pohl

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:53 pm
Holy... marrying might turn out to be an easier task. Thanks for the info though! Very well explained.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:06 pm
The immigration people are very strict. They have to really really believe that the marriage is a real one. You don't just get a marriage certificate and walk into citizenship.

You have to get married outside the country. Most EU countries are just the same as the UK.

PS These visas cost MONEY. Count on at least $3000 USD over the three years. Non-refundable if you fail. Plus you need money to live on during that time.

Spouses of UK citizens or permanent residents (mainly those with indefinite leave to remain) may come to the UK under marriage visa category, and are able to work as soon as a visa is granted. You will need to meet the following marriage visa requirements:

* If you have been together for less than four years you are granted a marriage visa for a probationary period of two years. If you are still married and living together at the end of two years in the UK permanent residence (properly known as indefinite leave to remain) will usually be granted.
* If you have been together for four years or more outside the UK you will be granted indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) in the UK without having to live in the UK for two years.
* The UK citizen or permanent resident must have actually met their non-UK spouse. This is to prevent a situation that occurs sometimes in arranged marriages where the husband and wife have never met.
* You must intend to live together permanently with your spouse in order to obtain a spouse visa.
* You must possess sufficient funds to pay you and your spouse's living expenses and those of any dependants without claiming public funds. Public funds cover various benefits paid by the Government if you are currently looking for work, if you are on a low income and if you are in various other situations.
* Accommodation for the couple, and any dependants, must be suitable and available.
* Spouses seeking to come to the UK on the basis of marriage to a UK national should apply for entry clearance before entering the UK.
* If you have a visa valid for six months or less in the UK you cannot change status to a spouse visa.
* Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the main applicant.
* After a total period of three years in the UK if you meet the residence requirements you may then apply for UK citizenship.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
The point I'm trying to make is that if you see marrying an EU citizen as a ticket or route to a residence permit, let alone citizenship, you'll most likely fail. And you will deserve to. Spousal visas and naturalisation are intended to benefit genuine couples who married for love and who have a stable long term relationship. The immigration people can tell the difference. They will interview you separately and ask all sorts of questions to see just how much of a couple you really are. Initially and then over three years. If they think it smells a bit fake, they can revoke or refuse to extend your visa and put your ass on a plane.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:16 pm
Contrex, seriously, never take el_pohl too seriously.
Very Happy

I personally believe he's too young to get married.
Rolling Eyes

Pohl, A2K needs a picture of your wife to be. If she's not A2K approved, we'll tell the EU authorities!
:wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:58 pm
Pohl, I think if that you get work with one of those companies, profit or non profit, that has bases in different countries, including Mexico, that might be a good start - not that I know that, but it might be at least interesting.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:47 am
Well well well, it will be true love contrex! True, meant to be, bang-bang, wild love. It just happened to be that I needed the exact number of days, you know... just to plan ahead...

Fbaezer, you want a picture? Think you can handle that? You'll need to go through my blog first though... mmm... my blog... and then to the healthy those of pictures...

[pohl.wordpress.com]

And after that brief - underthewater - advertisement maneuver, yes definitively Oss! A well known, international company that values mexicans... great, ideal start. Hopefully.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:03 pm
OK, pohl, stamped & approved.

You DO seem to be in love.
Either you are, or the world is losing some damn good actors.

... and man, travelling Europe at your age is so much fun!
I don't know if it's envy or mere nostalgia.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:33 pm
But I didn't even tell you who's my girl! Haha how can you approve? :p

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! Wait...

*beep - beep*

Is my sarcasm detector working? Mmmm... have to double check.

Anyways! Nostalgia huh? What's your story?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:33 pm
I agree fbaezer, it's fun traveling at that age, and you meet so many
great people, and sometimes make friends for life. I have the fondest
memories of that.

el_Pohl, enjoy, see as much as you can, but don't tie yourself down yet,
life has so much more to offer. You always can settle down, afterwards.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 05:32 pm
el_pohl wrote:
But I didn't even tell you who's my girl! Haha how can you approve? :p

Well, it's either the girl with the beer or you're double timing, man.
0 Replies

sciema23

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
hi i can marrie anyone for money

I have euro-pass swedish and polish for more info please email me at [email protected]