Why did God create all of this???

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:23 am
I entered into a discussion in one of my undergrad's with a non-practising ordained minister. I was curious why, under the unproven assumption that He even exists, God created man, the earth, the heavens?

From various religious sites, I have uncovered a few reasons:

Quote:
Because God created the universe first and foremost to bring glory to Himself, and second to have fellowship with His creation. Thus, everything was made because of God's design in making His name BIG. That means that every person, planet, star, galaxy, ocean, tree, and blade of grass was designed to scream out that our God is an awesome God!

Source

God was an egomaniac who needed to make his name BIG. He needed to validate himself so he created the universe.
OK.
What else?

Quote:
we need to understand the purposes for which God created the universe. Atheists and certain religious sects assume God created the earth for mankind to give us a perfect place to live that is designed for our enjoyment. However, nowhere does the Bible indicate that God created the earth for our pleasure or enjoyment. In contrast, the Bible indicates that the earth was established to accomplish the purposes of God.6 What are the purposes of God regarding this creation? First and foremost, the creation is designed as a place where evil can be conquered

Source

So, god wanted to create something that he was proud of, that made his name BIG. He also wanted to have a relationship with (the people of) his creation....but this place he created
1. was not for the enjoyment of what he created, it was for his enjoyment, and
2. it was a place where evil can be conquered. I am reminded that evil exists because God exists. God created everything, therefore he also created evil.

So, the universe and the people of earth were created for his enjoyment....and the heavy burden of conquering evil was the responsibility of those he created and not the creator who created it in the first place.
I wonder though, why, if man is supposed to battle evil, God flooded the world and chose only Noah to ensure life continued on earth, or why God sent plagues through Egypt killing all first born children...there are dozens of example of God killing in the mundane world...

Quote:
My opinion to the question is simply God created us in the physical universe to choose him freely by choice, aka free will.

Source

God created the universe and man, so that we can choose him through free will. Choose him for what? He created us, so that we can choose him? Curiously, an egotistical theme is arising....

I'm curious what some of the resident a2k'ers have to say about this question....I would appreciate some responses that aren't inherently contradictory (ie: God is good, as evidenced by his love....contradicted by his actions toward man on earth....etc)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 11
No top replies

real life

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:12 pm
hi candid,

Are you of the opinion that unless you can fully understand not only HOW God created everything, but also WHY He did so, that it cannot possibly be?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:24 pm
The spirit world and the physical world which we inhabit are orthogonal to each other and there has been a breakdown in communications over the last 2500 years. The closest thing there now is to the ancient religious practices which involved direct communication with the spirit world is what is called EVP ( e.g. http://www.aaevp.com ).

Neither God nor anything or anybody else in the spirit world appears to have any sort of direct causative capacity within our physical realm. It is therefore at least possible that we were created in order to PROVIDE the spirit world with some level of instrumentality in the physical realm. THAT of course would require good communications between the two realms. That DID exist in past ages; it no longer does.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
real life wrote:
hi candid,

Are you of the opinion that unless you can fully understand not only HOW God created everything, but also WHY He did so, that it cannot possibly be?

Nope.
I couldn't care less how it was all done really. If He exists in the capacity he is understood to exist, then it matters not how it was done. Poofism is poofism. If he created all of this, cool.
I want to know why.

1. A family in a neighboring town was murdered by their daughter and boyfriend. The couple slayed her Mom, Dad and 8 year old brother. I know how it was done. But why does a 13 year old murder their family?

2. I have a friend who is an artist. I can quickly see the colors used, the integration of certain waxes and other mediums into the oils that he paints with. I understand the craft. It is very simple....but why does he paint?

3. I have a friend who is an architect. He designs office towers. I know how foundations are laid, I can have loads and other engineering-related factors explained to me...but why has he chosen to design office towers?

4. Hitler engaged in history's largest mass murder and genocide. He killed tens of millions of innocent people. You don't need CSI to explain how it was done, but why did he believe that killing these innocent people was a good idea?

I find the entire creation story fascinating, not because God supposedly created all of this in 6 days, rather, why did he do it?
Killers kill because of hate, vengeance, recreation or as a solution to a problem. Painters paint because it's relaxing, it's an artistic release, it's interesting, it's profitable. Architects design office towers because residential work pays very little, because they can tap into their creative juices, because they can leave a permenant mark on the world. Hitler killed Jews because he believed they were inferior people, because, through eugenetics, he could create a master race, and because they were a scapegoat for many of the social and economic problems in Europe....

Why did God create the Universe? I don't care how he did it...
My inquiry has nothing to do with "because I don't understand it, it can't possibly be". That just doesn't fly with me. Something being beyond my comprehension simply does not stop that thing from being.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The spirit world and the physical world which we inhabit are orthogonal to each other and there has been a breakdown in communications over the last 2500 years. The closest thing there now is to the ancient religious practices which involved direct communication with the spirit world is what is called EVP ( e.g. http://www.aaevp.com ).

Neither God nor anything or anybody else in the spirit world appears to have any sort of direct causative capacity within our physical realm. It is therefore at least possible that we were created in order to PROVIDE the spirit world with some level of instrumentality in the physical realm. THAT of course would require good communications between the two realms. That DID exist in past ages; it no longer does.

To clarify some terms....
Spiritual: God, supernatural phenomena, spirits etc.
Physical: That which God created. The universe, man.

Am I following you here?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:27 pm
Re: Why did God create all of this???
candidone1 wrote:
I was curious why... God created man, the earth, the heavens?
If you were uncreated pure spirit or Being, what would you do? Since you are unmanifest and formless, and presumably all that is, you might want to know yourself, or know your potential. God created the world so that He could know Himself. We are not only the creations of God, we are God since God is the unity and totality of existence. There is no separation between any part of the whole.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:26 pm
How do you know that "god" is a he?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:55 pm
candidone1 wrote:

Am I following you here?

Not totally. God created man and the biological world which we observe; the universe at large is eternal, like God. Creation stories in antique literature refer to the creation of our own local environment including our solar system, but not the entire universe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:20 pm
<listening with an amused grin>
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 12:29 pm
gungasnake wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Am I following you here?

Not totally. God created man and the biological world which we observe; the universe at large is eternal, like God. Creation stories in antique literature refer to the creation of our own local environment including our solar system, but not the entire universe.

OK, so give me the best all-encompassing definition of what constitutes the physical and the spiritual. I don't want to assume anything here....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:38 am
Re: Why did God create all of this???
candidone1 wrote:
I'm curious what some of the resident a2k'ers have to say about this question....

I think that when you do an extremely thorough analysis of a fairy tale, you discover that it's still a fairy tale.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:42 pm
Why did God do it? Maybe he's got a sick sense of humor. Maybe it was done as you might set up an aquarium-or as you might set up a cock fight. Even if He exists, one thing is He never risked His Ass for anybody-but we can risk our asses for each other. He never kicked anybody's ass that had him outclassed-but we can do it now and then. If there is a God He's not precarious and beautiful like we are-He could only be the narcissistic youngest-child of the universe. He's not makin the calls and takin the falls. He's not a high-octane, borne-to-die, rock-and-roll love machine so screw Him and whatever He's got in mind.
0 Replies