socrates, inspired thoughts on corruption.

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:59 am
i read his works about his death. He says he had every chance to leave the state, so he accepted his punishment because he had agreed to the rules.

Today we do not have the option of leaving the "state", every peice of land is "state" owned. what do we do when our globalized and profit motivated goverment becomes corrupt and begins working against its citizens? How do we pursue our happiness then?

We cannot initiate change through the system (corruption at its best). They use their power to maintain their power, through legal means and immoral means.

How do we combat this? What can we do besides go into open warfare against those who would have us imprisoned and killed ?

In the u.s. theres the drug war. marijauna does no "real" harm, hemp is far superior to cotton, hemp seeds and oil supposedly create better products than petroleum does. how is this benfecial to u.s. citizens?
then there is stem cells, and the oil barons refusing to give up their "power" when solar power + electric cars = quite a solution..
(if we spent the money we wasted on the iraq war buying solar panels, lol i dont think we would even need fossil fuel plants!)

in china its the information war. no freedom of speech etc..

Must we revolt "violently" to keep the system free from corruption? Will globalization help as much as it harms? (information networks using the internet for example, to expose corruption) i fear in the near future escaping the system will be impossible, and changing the system even more unlikely, mainly due to technology being so advanced.

I sometimes wonder if humans only predator is themselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 812 • Replies: 1
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:02 am
i spent 20 minutes writing a more , how do i say, "complete" argument, but it signed me out and erased everything when i tried to post it so bleh, i barely tried this time around.

figures. my first try was actually eloquent. i wish i had a computer at home Sad

and if you missed my point, it was having to do with socrates stating if he didnt like his state he could leave, what do we do when we cannot simply "walk-away" from corruption?

bleh bleh and more bleh, i messed it all up!
0 Replies