Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:16 am
Ok, so I recently took up an old hobby of mine, breeding guppies. I was never too serious about it before but since they breed so darn easily I've had a lot of fun.

I bought a female guppy that was pregnant but her fry came too soon (I hadn't found a hatching tank) and I lost them all. I found the tank and am raising some fry I bought while waiting for my next batch from my own guppy and want to know if anyone else here breeds tropical fish and has any pointers they want to share.

I'll share what I learn as I give this a new try.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:20 am
Hi Robert.

<bumping this up as I loved my guppies, and am interested in hearing from fish breeders as well>
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:26 am
We had tropical fish years ago when our kids were young.

Swordtails will aggressively eat fry, and Platties will to a lesser extent. I don't remember having much problem with Guppies eating fry. Unless you have a community tank.

How many plants and other hiding places do you have in the tank?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
I keep the fry in a separate breeding tank. I've found that they can kill themselves in the hiding places as well, I lost at least 3 fry from the last batch when they wedged themselves into the gravel.

Now I'll use a little breeding tank.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:37 pm
Floating thick beds of water plants are literally a lifesaver (they can hide a large number of fry). I breed guppies to supplement my other larger fishes diet, and swap interesting varieties with a friend who sells commercially. Very interesting low budget color, and Rope Fish just love them.
0 Replies