I bet you could be more comfortable with your period

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:39 am
money shot?

thank god gus was not wearing rose-tinted glasses.

just WHAT craven will say when he comes back and sees what we have done to his thread I don't know.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:21 am
dlowan wrote:

just WHAT craven will say when he comes back and sees what we have done to his thread I don't know.

He'll jump up and down, do the splits and sell us specialty computers with wings so we can have freedom from runaway thread hijacking. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:28 am
Will he put his feet behind his head?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:34 am
Here's a pitch for truth in advertising: "Tampons and pads....to absorb that crap that comes out of you creepy wimmins once a month...and our brand is the best. Since you don't die despite the fact that you lose so much blood, we think you should at least be comfortable." I nominate that for "worst slogan ever". C'mon, top that, I dare ya Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:36 am
Actually I can think of atleast one which is "worse" but I dare not open my mouth !!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:39 am
Oh dear, Cav - what a challenge!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:27 pm
dlowan wrote:
OK, Ok, Mr de Kere and other mins - your ideas for how the things SHOULD be marketed? Seriously! How they gonna do it?

I have already said what I'd do.

I'd lose the clichés. The empowerment and freedom nonsense. I don't expect the ads to actually be informational (gee, how informational are beer ads?) but if they wanted to go that route they could include stats about the density of the fibers, how well it absorbs.

I make fun of the wings but I actually think they is the type of thing that is good in ad campaigns. I haven't been using them long so I can't say whether it's a gimmick or not but that would be a differentiating factor. Dunno, if they make one with velcro they can tout that as well.

What makes me think the ads are substandard is not the complete lack of relevant information. Advertising has long been this way. It's long been based on the abstract element of human nature. Feelings, image etc. When people get tired of "image" based advertising then they create the ad industry equivalent to the un-PC movement. "Imageless". They'll do dumb crap like Sprite's commercials in which they'll peddle the image of not being swayed by having an image. Ok, I gotta say that one is pretty good. It's stupid but it goes over most people's heads so it works.

With the ads in question I'd cut out some of the more cheesy "empowerment" stuff. I have long suspected that the ad insustry is not as adept at marketing to women as it is to men but they have to be able to come up with something better.

Dunno, maybe gimmicks? I was kidding about the PDA but maybe an alarm? It'd go off when it sensed a leak.

[size=7]I swear upon my much maligned testes that Ise kidding.[/size]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
Yeah, that'd go over well. Teenage girl sitting in social studies -- *beep* *beep* *beep* -- blushes crimson, raises hand and asks to go to the rest room, grabs purse on the way out.

Yup, would sell great. Very Happy

Meanwhile, what's this about you USING wings?? Whatever for? (Dare I ask...)

I think the thing with these products is more just that they do the bare minimum that works. This is one of those industries that they don't have to do a heckuva a lot, and people will still buy 'em. I mean, "Don't Squeeze the Charmin'" worked pretty well, but you don't generally see cutting-edge toilet paper commercials. Toilet paper is gonna get bought, no matter what.

So while I hate the commercials, it doesn't really affect what I buy. I tested a bunch back when this was first pertinent, decided on what worked, and stuck with it. Have almost entirely ignored the commercials.

I expect it's an allocation of resources thing -- they've done studies and found that even the most brilliant campaigns wouldn't sway most people's choices, so they stick with the bare minimum.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
Wait...maybe the freedom thingy isn't so bad after all: "New pads with wings...giving you the same freedom as your bra."

I was also wondering why Craven was using pads with wings...although they do make good makeshift Swiffer cloths...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:16 pm
Soz,

Not a beep beep. I was thinking more like a car alarm.

Still kidding. Ya gotta read the fine print.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
oh gawd, velcro. they tried that. in the 80's i think. they were horrid. ripped skivvies all to bits.

sozobe - you've gotta do some more product testing - things have changed over the past few years. the basics are the same, but there has been a tiny bit of fine-tuning. tiny.

menopause. menopause. menopause.
it is my mantra.
it is my hope.
for sanity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:14 pm
Car alarms? So everybody would ignore them?

Maybe a weeny vibrating thingy - like you can do with pagers?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
There ya go! Put technology to good use.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:16 pm
I CAN read the fineprint, Craven - only it ain't convincing me.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:17 pm
Hmmmmm - we would wanna be convinced the batteries were well insulated...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Where, exactly, would the weeny vibrating thing GO? Shocked (That could prove very popular indeed...)

ehBeth, I have done some product testing, but it's overwhelmingly from reading packaging in the No Men Allowed aisle rather than ads. (Excellent punishment for minor husband infractions -- make 'em pick up some feminine hygeine products for ya.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:23 pm
omigawd. how to say this?

errrrrr, dlowan - i believe there is already a whole industry built around vibrating thingies. insulation and all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:31 pm
yes, yes. I know. But - it isn't all bad, that idea, is it? Beth - the BATTERY isn't inside you in the appliances of which you speak....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:33 pm
No? Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:35 pm
[size=7]Pssst, beth, industrial strength ones plug into the wall I think.[/size]
0 Replies