Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 09:03 pm
"I bet you could feel more comfortable with your period."

"You could throw away that old diaper and do stuff like this."

[action]Jumps in slow motion[/action]

"Does your diaper let you do this?"

[action]places legs behind head[/quote]

"Does your diaper absorb like this?"

[action]Pours blue liquid.. watch it absorb[/action]

I don't watch TV but I occasionally find myself in a room with a TV on and I wonder how anyone can stand the advertisements for feminine napkins and such.

The awkward subject (that isn't so bad outside of dinner time) isn't what makes me hate these commercials. It's the cheese factor.

I suspect most guys just try to ignore them. I know a few women who turn off the TV when they see them but I'm wondering if anyone out there pays attention to/ enjoys these ads.

Anyone? I hate 'em. They use tired old advertising techniques and I have yet to see a well done ad of this variety.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,544 • Replies: 92
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 10:54 pm
Mostly, I just laugh at them, just like I do for all the different types of beds being advertized these days.

Ever notice that the guy on the ordinary mattress is lying as far away from a pudgy middle-aged woman in a cotton floor length nightgown while the guy sleeping on the new foam, select your number, folding gizmo of a bed is snuggled up with a sexy young woman in a slinky satin nightie?

Getting back to the other "pad," one reason they are so limited in how they can advertise the things is probably due to the censorship issues with use of specific words for body parts and functions.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:02 pm
Hey, it's not like I expect the ad to be informative or anything, but doesn't the "empowerment" ad style ever make women pissed off sometimes?

It's kinda liek a one trick pony. Use "you deserve it" and then imagery that is supposed to indicate "freedom".

I dunno, I'd do a "Gives you wings" ala Red Bull or something. Just to mix it up.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:21 pm
Not for me. There are some months when I'd pay a handsome ransom for the supposed freedom of not having to be chained within 20 feet of a bathroom during some days....

That's why I laugh at the silly gals in their skin tight white jeans as they do jumping jacks and splits and I mutter "just wait a few years 'til the hormone power struggle kicks in."

For myself, I'm looking forward to jumping aboard the ultimate freedom train once menopause kicks in.

:::taps foot impatiently:::
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:23 pm
I know.....waaaay tooo much information....

Aren't you glad you asked? Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:29 pm
But that's exactly my point. The difference between one product and another is not really freedom despite the efforts to portray it that way.

I still say they should do the Red Bull campaign.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:43 pm
From personal experience, I'd have to disagree. Some products are much better at absorbing and retaining then others based on the fibers used and how it is constructed.

It's just that as you age, there are some days when absolutely nothing gives a sense of freedom.

I think it is a case of having had to experience it to understand. I'd try to explain in greater detail but I'd have to get rather graphic and it would gross you out. Wink

You'll have to remind me of what the Red Bull commercials are all about. I think it is a brand of beer, but not sure. For most commercials, I barely pay attention to them. It's just noise while I do something else until the show comes back on or I channel surf until it comes on.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:50 pm
It's an energy drink with a mediocre "Gives you wings" campaign.

redbull.com wrote:
Fans of stylish entertainment will find here a selection of the popular Red Bull cartoons.
They demonstrate the stimulating effect of Red Bull on body and mind in a spirited, fresh,
ironic and witty way. To be precise: Red Bull gives you wings. Action!

Red Bull TV commercials
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:55 pm
<sticks head in door and listens to conversation... whoa!.... I'm outta here!>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:58 pm
Come on guz, don't you want to trade in that antiquated diaper you use for this sleek winged combination PDA/feminine napkin?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:03 am
While we're on the subject, I haven't heard much about Toxic Shock Syndrome lately. I guess the propaganda campaigns against that disease were successful. Are warnings still printed on the stancher boxes?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:32 am
Yes they are, and the usage advice is still pertinent whether or not you're avoiding TSS.

Which propaganda campaigns do you refer to?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:06 am
I'm refering to the propaganda campaigns about TSS that came out around the mid-eigthies, early nineties, after some deaths thereof were widely reported.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:22 am
What was the propaganda? That it wasn't caused by tampons, that it was contaminated manufacturing practices, that scented tampons were the cause, that using too high an absorbancy or not changing them regularly was a contributing factor?

Not sure what you are referring to as the propaganda. Are you saying there are other hidden causes or blame to be placed for TSS?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:27 am
This appears to be a fairly balanced website if you're looking for information on TSS.

http://www.toxicshock.com/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:07 am
I want one that makes my coffee in the morning, and lets the cats out....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:08 am
And, if I can't do the splits or whatever now, I doubt a tampon will help...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:24 am
LOL... silly rabbit.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:07 am
Maybe the tampon industry should go for the "truth in advertising" approach and show the real difference between 'heavy' and 'light' days.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:22 am
Butrflynet- I seem to remember that toxic shock became a problem when the very heavy duty tampons first came out. Problem was, that since they were SO absorbent, women were not changing as often as they should. That gave the bacteria a chance to proliferate. I believe that the super super size tampons were eventually taken off the market.

As I recall, I rather liked them! Very Happy
0 Replies