Medieval church transported eight miles on a giant buggy

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
http://i7.tinypic.com/53ikv9d.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/2i78cq1.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/4vn3ibb.jpg

Quote:
German church finds new home after making way for coal mine

Oct 30, 2007

Borna, Germany - A 750-year-old German church that was moved to make way for a coal mine reached its new home on Tuesday after a six-day journey by road.

A large flat-bed truck transported the Emmaus Church on its 12-kilometre trip from the almost abandoned village of Heuersdorf to Borna, a town of 22,000 in the eastern state of Saxony.

The journey across two rivers and two railway lines went smoothly and took a day less than expected, according to Regina Messlinger, the engineer in charge of the project,

'We held our breath when we reached the market square, because there was only a finger-width of room between the church and the surrounding houses,' she said.

In the coming days, the church will be moved a few more metres and placed on its new foundation.

The nearly 1,000-ton building was moved to make way for a lignite open cast mine. The cost of the operation, being paid for by mining company Mibrag, is estimated at 3 million euros (4 million dollars).

The operation to lift the church onto the truck took up most of November 23. Ahead of the move, a steel-girder frame was assembled under the church before a hydraulic lift raised it 1.6 metres for the transporter to drive underneath.

Some of the steel supports were removed for the final stage at the market square in Borna, where the clearance was just two centimetres on each side.

The route took the ancient church over the rivers Wyhra and Pleisse and two railway crossings.

Mibrag secured the rights to strip mine in Heuersdorf only after a 10-year battle through the courts. Around 80 per cent of the village's 320 inhabitants have been moved.

Lignite mining and using the low-quality 'brown coal' to fire power stations has become increasingly controversial in the light of concerns over the impact of carbon dioxide emissions on climate change.

© 2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:42 am
http://i5.tinypic.com/4miul2d.jpg

Quote:
Ancient church takes eight-mile £2m journey

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Thursday November 1, 2007
The Guardian

A 700-year-old church has reached the end of a six-day journey during which it was transported on the back of a truck to a new home.
The Emmaus church, which had stood in the east German town of Heuersdorf near Leipzig since 1297, was saved from destruction after locals fought a mining company to keep it.

The 320 residents of Heuersdorf are being relocated to Borna, eight miles away, to allow the company access to 50m tonnes of brown coal lying beneath their town. When their legal fight against the move failed, they said they would leave only if they were able to take their Romanesque stone church with them.

At a cost of over €3m (£2m), the 750 tonne, 19.6 metre high and 10 metre wide structure was lifted from its foundations and strapped on to the flat-bed truck. At a pace of 1.25mph, the church was moved to Borna. It was not allowed to tilt more than two degrees during the journey.

With delays to cross rivers and railway lines, the building reached Borna yesterday, in time for Reformation Day when Lutherans commemorate Martin Luther. Thousands of onlookers lined the streets to watch it being tethered to its new location on Martin Luther Square.
There has been controversy over the decision to continue mining brown coal even though it is environmentally damaging. Heuersdorf is one of several centuries-old communities in eastern Germany being uprooted to make way for mines.

Jochen Bohl, the protestant bishop of Saxony, said the transfer of the town had "torn a hole" in the parish which moving the church would be unable to heal.

The pastor of the Emmaus church in Heuersdorf, Thomas Krieger, said most residents of the town had not attended the church's arrival. "The grief they are feeling was too much for most. They chose to stay away," he said.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:50 am
On a lighter note, suggestions that setting the coals affire underneath were considered to be hellishly elaborate, and the camel readily agreed.
0 Replies