How Hard is it to Publish a Romance Novel?

dupre

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
One of the most bizarre lines I saw had something to do with him touching her in her secret woman's place. Still get a laugh out of that!

Here's a link to Passionate Pen which lists lots of publishers and direct links to their submission guidelines pages.

Happy Hunting!

http://www.passionatepen.com/romancepubs.htm

If it hasn't been mentioned before, the Romance Writers of America is a fine, well-respected group.

Many cities have chapters which can help with the nuts and bolts of writing.

For any writer I recommend "The Writer's Journey," an amazing, easy-to-use book about plot and archetype characters. It will become your writing bible; you will not regret owning your own copy. Worth every penny and moment you spend with it. It will make you rich beyond your dreams of avarice. 'Nough said.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:56 pm
Goodness!

Thanks for the links!

Part of what I'm up to with this is trying to do something fast 'n' easy, though -- my B.A. is English with an Emphasis on Creative Writing, and I have a pretty good grasp of the basics. I just want to do the bare minimum of research, then type furiously for a few weeks. Razz

This all may well be good practice for something more serious and literary, though, which has always been a dream of mine.

That "passionatepen" link is really great, dupre, thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:57 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
It almost appears the thing has a mind of its own and is tentatively sniffing the rail on the crib as if trying to determine if this will be a determent to future activity.

ROFL
0 Replies

Lucina

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:53 am
getting published
I have my romance novel up to 85,000 words and it has been edited. It is suspense/mystery adventure. Is it best to send in the synopsis and chapters or the whole manuscript? Would it end up in the wastebasket if it was the whole thing?

I have also been told at seminars that the heroine must meet the hero in the first few paragraphs. Is this common or just a "nice if you got it" idea?

thanks

Lu
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
Lucina, there are some great links in this thread with more info. What I have gathered is that different publishers, and different lines within each publisher, have different requirements.

Generally, it seems to be better to send a query and synopsis first. But this varies.

Good luck!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
how's this project goin', sozobe?

on the weekend i picked up a couple of my beloved regency romances at Goodwill (nice light reading for a rainy day) - and doncha know - the heroine in one of them is deaf! They've got every sub-genre covered in these books.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:40 pm
Now that's just spooky!!

I swear, spooky.

I can forward you the email that attests to its spookiness.

But anyway, just thought about it this morning for the first time since, oh, my last post here. There was committee craziness, then house craziness (which is ongoing -- E.G. flies in for the inspection tomorrow), and this morning because of something I can forward to you I thought hey, I gotta follow up on that once things calm down.

Spooky.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:01 am
spooky?
Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:20 am
:-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
pssssssssst, soz ... over here ...

changes in the industry
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:11 pm
I used to catalog the new 'romantic' novels as they turned up (by the boxload) for the local library when I worked there. They ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous to the very raunchy. It was always a hoot to just open one at random and have a read.

It wasn't the worst writing of all time, but it wasn't literature either. And they flew off the shelves along with the 'tasty' murder novels..... Go figure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:21 am
I saw that, ehBeth!

My first thought was, hmm, so maybe they'll be especially hungry and receptive to my killer hook. Like, I see how I can use this:

Quote:
Recycling former writers can only last so long, however, and it cannot make up for all of those who have left. Catherine Coulter, for example, is another former romance novelist who, after writing for Harlequin's Silhouette imprint, broke into the mainstream by writing suspense novels, often aimed at a primarily women. She is now published by Putnam. Sandra Brown, who also paid her dues writing for Silhouette, is now better known for the suspense novels published by Warner Books and Simon & Schuster. Linda Howard is another popular former Harlequin writer who is now published by Ballantine.

Dunno, we'll see. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:43 am
Ooh, I'm glad I found this thread. I've been thinking of writing a nice little romance or two as a way of funding a trip over seas.

Shall now do some research...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
The supplement of The Times had a feature on romance novel writers on August 11 ... but its not online, I think.

It told of Brenda Squires, a psychotherapist who "was one of 200 authors who paid GBP 50 to have their manuscripts assessed by the Romantic Novelists Association (RNA)" (link) "as part of its New Writers Scheme. Drafts are read on an anonymous basis by a team of 30 mostly experienced authors who provide feedback to help bring the work up to a publishable standard". She got pretty fierce feedback, nothing was right. But so she did rewrite after rewrite to process all the feedback and subsequently won this year's RNA New Writers Award.

They stage an annual three-day conference too, drawing "around 250 novelists" and featuring "workshops on topics from how to write a synopsis, market yourself and find an agent through to the aspects of the writing process such as characterisation, plot development and, of course, love scenes." There's a description of the latter workshop, "entitled Sexy Bits":

Quote:
[The teacher] gave everyone in the audience a small packet of chocolate that they were told not to open. "These are to remain on the armrests next to you," she said. "They represent sexual tension." Next came strawberries. We were told to eat them, then write about them. "I want you to describe the sensation of eating them. Engage all your senses, not just the most obvious ones.

"What is the smell like, how does it feel on the tongue, what is the texture like? At the same time, pay attention to what else is going on in the room. Outside noise can add a real intensity [..] what you are thinking is just as important as what you are feeling." [..]

We wrote in secret, but were then asked to read our efforts aloud to our neighbours. "I shall never see you in the same light again", whispered someone to my left.

Heh.

Article also noted that just Piatkus Books, one publisher, alone receives manuscripts from around 1,500 people a year. But then Mills & Boon, "probably the best-known brand", did have "paperback sales of nearly GBP 9 million last year" ...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
Don't eat the chocolate?! Shocked Cruel and unusual punishment!!!

I'd sue! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
Sozlet starts preschool soon and I plan to get back to this then (not exclusively, but as one of a few things), so maybe we can do this at the same time, fortune!

Lemme know how your research goes. Really a wealth of stuff here, thanks again to all (specially ehBeth) who contributed. Thanks for that new link too, nimh.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
Shall do, Sozobe. I have about a week at the beach coming up soonish. Should be enough time to lay some decent groundwork.
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm
A week at the beach?? Darlink! Why have you not informed me of this daring escapade??!
*sigh* I dreamt I was in france last night, and that I couldn't get home because I'd gone to look at Duty Free stuff and by the time I returned I realised that my plane had left, and I'd anticipated it to leave at least an hour later (thinking 15.30 was 4 o'clock), and then I ran out to stop it from going and then this french guy slowed the plane and took me aside and I realised that i'd left my passport at home, and I don't know how I got to france without one but I did, and I thought I'd need to get mum to send it over to me, and this french guy was really nice and cute and helped me though I was stuck, and the plane had gone, and I needed to get back to Australia.
Its a sign. A sign I tells ya! Its calling us fortune!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 06:42 am
At least Scarlett Marsden here wouldn't need to make up a pseudonym if she were to write romance novels ... ;-)
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 06:50 am
*sigh* You don't know the half of it. Smile
0 Replies