How Hard is it to Publish a Romance Novel?

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:26 pm
Gus, you gotta tell me which hair products you use. Such lustrous curls!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:27 pm
As long as we're on the subject of romance novels, I'd have to say my all time favorite one was "Ranch Romances". The action was fast and furious and the lovemaking sessions literally took my breath away. I'm glad someone (sozobe) brought up this subject. I am now inspired to dig through my closet and find my copy of the aforementioned book. I'm going to settle down by the fire and get immersed in gunfire and hot babes.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:MWuWIDgQX24C:hometown.aol.com/romanceadventure
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:29 pm
Hey, that looks awesome! Gimme some tips when you're done.

I like that gunslingin' gal. Might be my next avatar.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:36 pm
Sozobe, here's another photo of myself. Feel free to use it on your book cover. Let me explain the story behind the wording on the photo.
Every morning I travel down to my swamp to check on my ducks. Usually, there is a fog in that low-lying region of my property. One of my neighbors snapped this photo of me as I was emerging from the fog. Well, the photo circulated around town and some smart ass came up with the idea to call me "Gus, Lord of the Mist"

Most of my friends on A2K call me Gus, but if you prefer to call me Lord of the Mist, well, that's fine.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5fwb-6rrx7wC:www.jrpowers.net/image_n/Cover.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:48 pm
Gotcha, O Lord.

Were you, like, really cold? Or are you another incarnation of Krishna?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:06 am
Krishna did not have such big boobs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 05:49 am
gasp!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:27 pm
ACK!

Setback, setback!

OK, so things are coming along really nicely, I have the whole story mapped out, and then I've been searching on Amazon to nail down what line I want to submit to and find a good example to read. And I find...

MY STORY!!!

The hook is very very similar, though hopefully mine has a different enough twist. Sad Argh!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:29 pm
I think that's part of why they suggest you read a few - so you can get a sense of what's out there.

Harlequin publishes over 20 of the things a month - so it's pretty tough to come up with something 'new'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:30 pm
If you read the bios of a few of their writers - they started as readers.

Work on twisting your hook a bit more! You can do it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:33 pm
Yeah.

One thing I noticed, too, is that there seem to be themes. Like, marriages of convenience and babies. (Seriously, there's a bunch of 'em with pregnant women on the cover.) Since it's the basic hook that is the same rather than any details (i.e. "marriage of convenience") (though NOT that), perhaps I can see it as a GOOD sign, that it's a brand-new emerging theme.

Yeah.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
OK, I'm feeling better. I found the motherlode, the whole listing of this line on Amazon. There are definite themes (a zillion babies! Accidental pregnancy, sperm donors, amnesia... but they have a baby together, so...) and so far I have seen only that one that is similar. And while it is definitely similar, it's less similar to my story than these baby stories are to each other.

Onward!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:26 pm
Soz, have you been using lines like...

"They grappled lustily and then.... they were one."

or how about...

"She could feel the heat rising, among other things, and she knew, soon, she would be sated. Her heart pounded. Somewhere in the distance a dog barked."

I have always had favorable results using those lines in my novels. Feel free to use them. I will not sue you for plagiarism.

Gus
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:31 pm
Yer so sweet!

BABIES! Everywhere BABIES and pregnant women! In romance novels! I don't get it!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0373762488.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:39 pm
Is that a pen in your pocket or are you happy to see me and really tiny?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:53 pm
Also lots and lots of sheiks. Sheiks, sultans. Sheiks.

(Can you tell I'm starting to go googly-eyed and frizzy-haired? Reading LOTS of synopses, and also reviews, which is helpful -- what people liked and didn't like -- while also doing grants research for my committee. Blububub.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:03 am
I think romances only have plots A, B or C so don't worry Soz!

Forced marriage but then they fall in love, misunderstandings. on opposite sides in war/troubles/feuding families ........

you'll give it your own twist - you have to let us know when you are successfully published.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:18 am
Nice observation on the "pen in the pocket", Soz. I wish you wouldn't have pointed that out. Look closely. It almost appears the thing has a mind of its own and is tentatively sniffing the rail on the crib as if trying to determine if this will be a determent to future activity. Scary stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:31 am
It's a mutant alien of some sort.....scary indeed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 09:59 am
bookmark
0 Replies