How Hard is it to Publish a Romance Novel?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
looks like they're just waiting for you, sozzzzzzzz!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:22 pm
I'm like, all excited! Have to start thinking of the synonyms... sweaty palms... heart racing...

Very Happy

Gotta go now, but will let you guys know what happens. Thanks again!

(And still interested in ballpark figure -- we talkin' three, four, five, or six digits, here?) (Six would be nice! I'm expecting 4-ish.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:26 pm
My friend said she was told to expect high 4 to low 5 to start. it can escalate if you're a sharon sala or similar seller.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:40 pm
A few years back there was a programme about women who wrote for Mills and Boon (and all made a very comfortable living thank you).

They were a really varied crew - middle aged, frumpy, glamorous and tarty....

One of them used to leave the sexy scenes til later if she wasn't in the mood and just write 'umble bumble' and go back to it later! Needless to say, the frumpiest one wrote the raciest books!

They have apparently made a video of how to write a Mills and Boon best seller - I tried to persuade my daughter who has a real talent for writing, to have a go under a pen name!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:44 am
A love story...hmmmm....bet sozobe will have a gala time making love.....scenes (u dirty minded people whay were u thinking ?? Wink )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:06 am
Hmm...I think the best aproach for a pseudonym is the old-fashioned single initial thing...lemme think...

S. Lette
S. O.
Samuel O. (a Victorian convention, writing as a man)
A. Sauze

Or for a full name (if writing as a male)......"Gregory Spot"....heh heh....Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:07 am
Georgia, Gina and Gail would work too....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:17 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm...I think the best aproach for a pseudonym is the old-fashioned single initial thing...lemme think...

S. Lette
S. O.
Samuel O. (a Victorian convention, writing as a man)
A. Sauze

Or for a full name (if writing as a male)......"Gregory Spot"....heh heh....Laughing

I think romantic novels go more for Suzette or other theatrical names - initials are for serious authors :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:35 pm
True enough Vivien, but let's take George, Gina, Gail or Georgia Spot, and initialize the first name...(just looking at my punchline) and what do you get? A good romance novelist name, methinks. Laughing Of course, a full name would be required for publication....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:39 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:44 pm
cav, I daresay that's been done... Wink

I'm really rolling with this! We'll see if it's wasted effort or not, but I've written about 8 pages so far of pivotal scenes (including some dialogue), all of the main plot, character's names, some secondary plot lines, some secondary characters, etc., etc. I plan to work on this a bit more until I have the foundation all laid out, then read a book in the line I'd be submitting to, tweak what I have, write the 2-page synopsis and 1-page query (have found some good query how-tos), and send it off to Harlequin! Will tell them I have 3 chapters ready, and will work on those 3 chapters while I wait for them to contact me and beg to see 'em. Very Happy (The standard seems to be that either you have the whole manuscript ready or 3 chapters.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:15 pm
Very Happy

Sozobe's buying a round of drinks after publication!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:59 pm
Good work soz! Has "Clay Torris" been done too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:08 pm
Rolling Eyes

I feel compelled to note that I haven't actually DONE anything. But I'm having fun, and the idea of 4-or-maybe-even-5 figures lurking at the end of it all is even more fun.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
Sozobe, the standard for nonfiction is as you say.

The standard for fiction is to complete the novel and then, when it is finished, shop it around at the different houses, usually though an agent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
Evidently not with romance novels. They are explicit about wanting people to send just a query and synopsis to begin with; in the query you can say that you haven't started, you have three chapters, or the whole thing is done.

Also don't need an agent.

Definitely a different kettle of fish from "regular" fiction. (This is why I am interested in romance novels vs. regular fiction, tho.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
dupre - harlequin has identified only one or two of their groups as using agents for submission. they've got really good outlines on how they want things handled. they're a bit different from standard houses.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:18 pm
Soz, I'll bet it will be steamy...dupre has good advice. You will need an agent, and contacting a professional editor may be a good idea too, once the book is finished. From what I know, agents work on commision from sales, so you don't pay them until you have sold the book. If this is not the case, someone correct me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:19 pm
Ooh, just saw the latest posts....ignore mine.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:21 pm
Sozobe, if you'd like to use my photo for the cover of your romance novel, that would be fine. Here's one of me during fence repair...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:9imYYAr-EJgC:www.malerevueusa.com/pgaxelii.jpg
0 Replies