Similarities between fascism, communism, & radical islam

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 01:37 am
gordon-newspost] Daniel Pipes on radical Islam and its similarities to Communism and Fascism
michael gordon [email protected]
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:55:51 -0700

1. For years, Daniel Pipes -- a scholar running an institute --- has suffered the fate of Steve Emerson, a courageous investigative journalist who had to go underground, warned by the FBI that a radical Muslim terrorist hit-contract on him was out: both faced the efforts of Islamic groups in this country to stop their work or at least publicizing and broadcasting it, and both -- you'll recall -- were singled out in the article by James Woosley, the former CIA director who has spoken out fairly freely about the troubles of American intelligence especially in the war against terrorism, as people, along with Tom Clancy the novelist and Fouad Ajami the John Hopkins scholar as thinking imaginatively . . . "outside the box."

Emerson's work is the more controversial, and I tried to give you a sense of the controversy by sending 4 reviews of his major book about radical Islamic in this country, one critical, another neutral, two favorable. Pipes -- denounced by the pc-cultural enthusiasts dominating the US Middle East Studies Associations (whose fatuities and ideological biases have been exposed at length by Martin Kramer, an impressive scholar) --- is, like Emerson, very much in the media now since 9/11.

2. Here, in this article, Pipes expounds on his views of radical Islam, its similarities to fascism and communism as ideological totalities that appeal to psychologically unhinged people -- including utopian intellectuals, alienated vividly from their own societies -- and its dangers.

It's a theme we've commented on at length, emphasizing the alienation and related psychological dislocations, including abundant resentments and frustrations and hatreds, that underlie the appeal in the Arab world and parts of Islam elsewhere of its militant anti-Western xenophobia and venom and paranoid conspiratorial tendencies. Just as communism and fascism appealed for no reason in particular that has to do with poverty, Islamic terrorism doesn't thrive because of impoverished masses. What it does -- as fascists in Europe before they obtained power were able to do, or Maoism in China before 1949 --- is reinforce the ideological appeal to alienated and unhappy people by providing social services and concrete psychological assistance to its mass followers. And it is a sign of intellectual bankruptcy that Middle East scholars not only in large number in this country -- not least, those at Saudi-financed Institutes -- couldn't see the rapid spread of radical Islam for the menace that it is for all its varieties, but made excuses for it and even lauded it as hailing (get this!) the emergence of a new pluralistic base for effective civil society, something largely non-existent in the clan-tribalistic and sectarian-divided Arab countries ruled by autocrats and -- outside Tunisia and one or two other small Arab states -- failing to provide decent minimal social services.

True, unemployment -- not necessarily the same as poverty at all (the 9/11 terrorists were mainly middle class, fairly well-to-do university students and grads) --- may be a contributing factor to the appeal of Islamic radicalism, just as the Nazis and Communists were able to gain supporters in the Great Depression even in democratic France and the Weimar Republic in Germany (1919-1933, when Hitler came to power).

The key factor that remains is psychological and social: profound alienation and unhinged mental and emotional psyches, not least among university students and graduates as the leaders of these movements (in the case of radical Islam, the terrorist network of bin Laden and Al Qaeda and the 9/11 assault-terrorists.)
---------------------------------------------

From www.danielpipes.org | Original article available at:
www.danielpipes.org/article/449

Militant Islam Is Put In Class With Communism, Fascism
by Sean Higgins
Investor's Business Daily
August 26, 2002

Daniel Pipes' voice is so soft it sometimes sounds like a whisper. Yet the words he uses can startle. America and rest of the Western world, he says, are facing their greatest challenge since fascism and communism:
militant Islam.

Coming from anyone else, such views might be dismissed as alarmist. But
Pipes has been studying Middle Eastern politics and culture all his life. The Harvard Ph.D. is director of the Philadelphia-based Middle East Forum and author of a dozen books.

His most recent book is "Militant Islam Reaches America," due out Sept.
11. He talked with IBD about it.

IBD: When did militant Islam start to become a phenomenon in America?

Pipes: It built up over time, but I would date its emergence as a significant factor - both politically and in terms of violence - to 1990.

1990 saw a couple of murders, such as Meir Kahane (a Jewish radical) and
Rashad Khalifa (an Egyptian immigrant). They were very different cases,
but they both happened in 1990.

There had been prior acts of violence, but this was the time when it became a significant factor. 1990 also marked the founding of the American Muslim Council, one of the most prominent militant Islamic organizations.

IBD: What exactly is the goal of militant Islam?

Pipes: The goal is universally the same - to take power and impose its
strictures on society. There is a debate on how to take power. Some believe violence is the way. Some believe that working in the system is the way. It is an incipient effort in the U.S., but it is, nevertheless, an effort.

IBD: This is a political agenda, but not a religious one?

Pipes: It conforms to the goals of Islam, but the key question is do you, as a Muslim in the U.S., accept the basics of American civilization, including its Constitution, or do you want to change it? Some will say the first and some will say the latter. The latter are adherents of militant Islam.

IBD: How much of a debate is there within the Muslim community about
this?

Pipes: There is strikingly very little debate. There is the occasional protest and there are certain individuals who are dedicated to a nonmilitant approach, but by and large one of the dismaying and problematic factors is that militant Islam dominates the Muslim discourse in this country.

IBD: Are the political efforts of these Muslim groups similar to, say,
Christian conservatives?

Pipes: There is no similarity whatsoever. They are unrelated phenomena.
The Christian groups essentially want to practice their religion their way. The militant Islamic groups want to impose their views on everyone else. Christian groups have no state sponsorship. Muslim groups have substantial state sponsorship. Christian groups work entirely through the system. Militant Islam is conspicuously violent.

IBD: What is it about militant Islam that appeals to its adherents?

Pipes: It is a massive way of saying "no" to modernity and to Western life. You can say "no" not just to government policies, but to an entire way of life.

IBD: Is this something that could attach itself to the anti-globalization, anti-IMF movement?

Pipes: Yes, but I wouldn't restrict it to that. It is much larger than that. It is a worthy successor to fascism and communism. It is the international threat.

IBD: Some people draw a connection between the growth of militant Islam
and poverty. Is there a connection?

Pipes: They are unrelated. As one wag put it after noting the origins of the Sept. 11 suicide terrorists last year, the key to becoming a suicide bomber is to be affluent, educated and privileged. This has to do with culture and ideology. Look at Saudi Arabia. It's hardly a poor country.

IBD: Is this something being directed from Islamic countries oversees?
Or is this a local phenomenon?

Pipes: A mix. There was seed money coming from abroad, and still
continuing. But I wouldn't see the local leadership as the pawns of foreign states. They are making their own decisions.

IBD: What do they do to advance their agenda?

Pipes: A variety of things. One is conversion. Lobbying to increase immigration is another. Third is to lobby to privilege Islam in a variety of ways. Fourth is to raise money for militant Islamic groups abroad. The fifth way is to intimidate those who would be critical, such as myself.

IBD: Their argument is that they are operating legally within the system
and that you are simply fear-mongering. How do you respond to that?

Pipes: I am operating legally within the system as well, but I am not threatening anyone. The fact is that militant Islam has a long history of using violence. These people are taking advantage of that. There are so many examples of violence in this country by militant Islamic elements. I am not fear-mongering.

IBD: Is this something that law enforcement is taking seriously?

Pipes: Nope. Robert Mueller, director of the FBI, gave an audience to the American Muslim Council. Outrageous. These are people he should be looking at in terms of arresting them, not breaking bread with them.

IBD: Would you see the cases of John Walker Lindh or Jose Padilla as examples of effects of militant Islam in America?

Pipes: Absolutely, yes. There is a big difference in Lindh's case between his mother converting to Buddhism and his becoming a supporter of militant Islam. Buddhism is not a threat to anyone.

For that matter, the faith of Islam is not a threat. Unfortunately the faith of Islam can be a way of becoming a supporter of militant Islam. That is threatening.

My view is that Islam itself is not the problem. It is the interpretation of Islam today that is the problem.

IBD: Where do you see militant Islam in, say, five to 10 years?

Pipes: There are some scholars who argue that militant Islam is on the
decline. I find that argument unconvincing. I think it is still on the increase. I think it has a ways to go before it peaks.

From www.danielpipes.org | Original article available at:
www.danielpipes.org/article/449
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:23 pm
all extremist groups have a great deal in common.

Once you decide that another group is 'lesser' because of politics, religion, race, colour, whatever, then it opens the door to atrocities. You deny human rights to those who do not believe as you do - the label you give yourself is almost unimportant, except that it defines your 'enemies' and those in danger from you. A simplistic but pragmatic view.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 03:51 pm
Oh gods, here we go again. Pipes likening Islam to Fascism is like Hitler likening Judaism to to Aztec ritual. Rolling Eyes
Those who wish to know more about Mr. Pipes should venture over to the Politics forum. The amount of publicity this man is getting, and the support he is receiving are truly frightening.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:09 am
HobitBob
HobitBob, I make a practice of posting various points of view on a topic for the purpose of stimulating conversation, which may or may not reflect my own views. If I had an opinion about Mr. Pipes, I would have preceded my post with my own point of view about him. I have none so far as I'm still exploring him and his ilk. Like most opinion makers, he probably operates with a mixture of true facts and biased opinions. We each have to use our intellect to discover our own truths.

----BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 11:07 am
(bookmark)

Of course there are similarities; the thing is whether those similarities are relevant for political counteraction and what kind of political counteraction (i.e. if radical Islam is to be treated the way Communism was in the Cold War witch hunt).
0 Replies