Self Identity and the Effect of Modern Technology

Frank R

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:04 pm
In today's day and age, communication and entertainment technology is becoming a huge force in the global village. This just goes to show that we are all under the sway of today's technology. So, with all of this new technology playing such a huge part in our lives, what effect does this technology have upon our (my and your) self identity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,181 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:07 pm
Is it homework Frank ?
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:19 am
No, its not homework as I am a teacher. I have asked my kids this a few times and they have all answered with numerous answers that were all very good and all made sense and I wanted to know what adults felt upon the subject. I like to compare their answers to the answers of other, more active, adult citizens.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:36 am
In the early 1900's Emile Durkheim practically "invented" sociology by studying the effects of industrialization on Europeans. He showed a statistical increase in suicide. One explanation was the breakdown of the old "guild system" with people finding less meaning in work.

Since the 1970's leading sociologists have published "Durkheimian analyses" on the impact of the technological revolution.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
Frank,

I am wondering how you convey the concept of "self identity" to your students. Its status is controversial with three or more theoretical positions attributable to recent philosophers alone.

Given that it is a truism that technology affects our "lives" in different ways what possible pedagogical purpose is served by complicating this with a nebulous "identity" concept ? For example, as far as "in-group" symbols are concerned it is pretty irrelevent whether those symbols involve owning the latest "technology" such as a video game or mobile phone, or whether they involve "non-technological" artifacts such as a particular style of pants or haircut. As far as "entertainment" is concerned,
technology again seems to be "identity neutral". The mere fact that "fads" can be globally communicated may affect numbers of participants but not the ephemeral nature of the participation.

Perhaps you want an answer regarding "cyberspace" communications versus traditional ones. If so you will immediately be involved in the philosophical issues I mentioned above concerning "self" and "socialization via language". In that case reach for your Nietsche and Foucault. Or alternatively you might be considering the "technology" of birth control and its impact on the concept of "gender roles". If so reach for Butler, but its not for kids !

The only tangible "identity" issue I can think of arising from global communications involves the possible creation of "aspirations" in poorer societies who now have a window on the rest of the world. Yet whether such aspirations could ever be fulfilled is a separate issue perhaps involving identity crises.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:46 pm
I wonder about the accuracy of the term "global village" in today's world. The technology of which you speak is not available to much of the world's population. Its impact on self identity globally is still minimal, imho.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:34 pm
shepaints,

I agree. This is "ecospeak". or the attempt to convey the concept of collective responsibiity for the planet. Most Western kids can now "talk the talk" whilst at the same time willingly indulge in their twentyfive fold usage of the planet's resources compared with their poorer neighbours.
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:54 pm
That is a perfectly well point fresco but you cannot deny that technology is afflicting with, maybe not our identity, but at the very least our culture. Also it has some sort of a bearing upon our behavior among other things. does it not?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:16 pm
Frank,

The problem is that unless you are prepared to try to define terms ...identity/culture/affect,etc....we just get "chat". Points become arbitrary.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
Good points, fresco.

Perhaps the question also needs to be revised to something along the lines of "How does today's technology affect the self-identity of those fortunate enough to possess it?"
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:49 am
Wonder what Marshall McLuhan would say if he were here to extrapolate on what could be considered predictable trends considering the givens?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:28 am
0 Replies