Ohhhh my car

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:48 pm
More of a vent then anything else, but Confused

I push the gas peddle and the car wont go.
I hear the engine gearing up, I see the RPM gage behaving as it should, but nothing..
Until the RPMs get really high, then it slowly takes off.
To get into another gear, I have to rev the car really high in the lower gear, then I can shift.
I was on the highway at 45 mph... it wont go...
damn car.
It couldnt happen at a worse time.
Car has gone ka-put

Of course, we have had this car since it was brand new, and at 79,000 miles we have our first problem.
(sniffle ) Im kinda proud of my little grey machine.

but holy ****. Couldnt it wait until this weekend was over??!

2 photo sessions, 3 cleaning clients and a birthday party.
All having to be rescheduled .
This income was going to replenish my savings account which is at 200.00 measly dollars. THAT wont cover car repair. Aint no way.
Unless the repair gods smile on me, and it is a cheap repair, im up ****-o creek with a paper paddle.

I need a rental and cant afford it.

So..

just

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

None the less, everything else is perfect. Smile

so hows your day?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,340 • Replies: 75
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:57 pm
You need a clutch Shewolf. Depending on the model, it shouldn't be terribly expensive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
03 toyota

(sigh) Im hoping it is cheap.
Not a new tranny or anything horrible like that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:03 pm
I'm betting on clutch, too. If you're lucky, it might just need to be adjusted. Some clutches are adjustable and some aren't.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:14 pm
Possibility 03 Toyota (79K) is still barely under powertain warranty. If not, local shop should be able to do it for under $500.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:18 pm
Should I have Mr. Tea call you tonight?

If you want, PM me your phone #.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:29 pm
Wow, that's kerappy. I would have said transmission but that just goes to show what I know.

Here's hoping it's only the clutch and you get a deal. 79,000 miles isn't much at all, so I'm a little surprised.

Maybe someone in your neighbourhood knows a mechanic who'll do it after work?

Good luck!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:32 pm
She wolf, did a quick search. Quality clutch kit about $220. Plus labor (probably about 5 hours) Depending on specifics.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:23 pm
I just got back from Pep Boys.

They would not take the car as the guy behind the counter said that it is a possibility that it could be a transmission problem and they do not service transmissions. Confused

SO, I have an appt to drop it off ( if it will make it ) at another small local shop just up the street from PepBoys.
It runs on a major Lamar bus route so I can catch a bus if it leaves me stranded no problem..

just... GRRRR.

Uh.. powertrain warranty?
On a toyota?
Never heard of it?

This ( besides a bad spark plug and a dead battery ) is the first issue we have had with this car. So I have never had to look up any possible warranty, nor did I purchase one when I bought it.
No need to really.. I mean, that is why I bought a Toyota.

So, here's to a simple clutch problem and nothing more!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:03 pm
Just to make sure I am not sending you off on a wild goose chase, the car is a manual transmission, yes?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:42 pm
I was just getting ready to ask, Rockhead.

If not, check the transmission fluid level.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:48 pm
Could just be a clogged filter.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:05 am
it is a stick.

and for the record, it gets all fluids changes as they are needed.

It just got the oil + transmission fluid changes about a thousand miles ago.
Not quite 700 miles ago it got a tune up.

I had asked the guy about changing the fuel filter then because MOST filters have a life span of about 70,000 and I figured, since it was in there... might as well have it done. The guy told me that it was a type of filter that was actually IN the gas tank and couldn't be changed for a simple job, that I had to wait essentially.. until it went out. Confused Which.. will cost 3 times as much.

I don't understand all he said, but I get the idea.

It would be a beautiful thing if it was just a clogged filter, and not that it couldn't happen, but I have this thing serviced and cared for strictly. I would think, if it were a clogged filter, someone may have told me by now? Possibly?
I don't run any additives in my gas tank ( ya know the ones that claim to clean your fuel system..) as most of them don't do much anyhow, but I have had the fuel system flushed every 30,000 miles. Not that , that wont stop any clogs from happening..
I dunno... Im mumbling.. Im just thinking it may be something bigger as it is about time for that stuff to start happening.

Good part though, I am 6 payment away from ownership. So I will have an extra 300.00 a month to put aside just for such things Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:43 am
As long as it is a manual, I am certain you have a clutch issue. No easy fix here. Ask around and find a reasonable, reputable shop. If you can't find one, I may be able to assist you from afar.

Good Luck, She wolf.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:59 am
Thank you. Smile

The one I picked was recommended to me by at least 30 people in a group of 1,000+ that I am part of.

Even more then 30 suggested the place based on someone they KNEW having a good experience.
The 30 have actually had service by them and loved it.

It is a toyota/honda only shop so I feel comfortable with that aspect as well.

And frankly, if I have to do with out my car for a month to pay for great service.. so be it.
We live right next door to a grocery store, and a major bus route is only 3-4 blocks away.

I can manage without it, to a certain extent.

Little Bean loves to ride the bus anyway so, I get to take her home from day care today by bus.
That will make her little world. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
well.
were fucked.

And I dont have that. NO WAY no how.

It is the clutch, but the guy says they have to drop the transmission to get to it, and will have to replace several seals (?) to get the job done.
I believe him, that isnt the issue.

The issue is that it will be done by Monday, and I wont have the money by then

So I am off to compare some basic loan rates with the bank, double up on some work over the weekend, and find a car to borrow for two days.

fuckityfuck
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
I'd get a second opinion.

Where exactly did you take it?

Don't tell me "Rising Sun" on Lamar....

The only thing they know is "$1500"
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:53 pm
OUCH!?!
That seems a little stiff, but I'm not in the big city anymore. and I quit working on "modern" cars some time ago.
How many labor hours did they quote? The transmission always must come out to replace a clutch, and unfortunately some shops still see a damsel in distress, and take undue advantage of the hopeful cluelessness.
Doubtful, however of doing much better than 3 or 4 hundred in difference in the same area, and a cutrate job will be worse for you and your daily driver.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:54 pm
WOW! That's a lot of money for a clutch, and I can't imagine any of them beint replaces without dropping the transmission. That doesn't sound like a special situation at all.

I heard of someone doing it with the clutch in place, but I would have to see it to believe it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
One of these days somebody smart is going to create a website something like these airline travel and used car shopping websites where you input your location, make and year of car, mileage and a range of symptoms and diagnostics and spit out a list of local car repair businesses in your area that agree to do the job in various price ranges and length of time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ohhhh my car
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:46:40