Why do they do it?

Olen

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:56 pm
I was building a house, and was at a stage that the entire wall was open, except the door was framed in. No door in the frame yet. Eight out of ten visitors walked past the open wall, and came in through the door frame. After the door was in, five out of ten walked past the open wall, opened the door and came into the house.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 9
No top replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:42 pm
It's the door.

Get rid of the door.

----------
I agree, people are very curious aren't they?
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:16 pm
When groceery stores are re-stocked after they close in the evening or at the low traffic hours, everything is scrambled. While shopping, people find that they had picked up something the didn't want, so put the item on the closest shelf or cooler. The items are far from the place they belong. Some are supposed to be in the freezer but have thawed on a shelf. You find tomatoes in the canned goods and bananas in onions. I have found entire baskets full, abandoned in the aisle. Folks leave their kids in the magazine section while they shop someplace else down the street, and forget they were there. I am always wondering why they do it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
You're right Olen. When our new office/shop was under construction, we always used the doorway to enter. Not sure how we exited, but at least till now, I never had to wonder why we did that. Thanks. Thanks a lot!

Now, how do you know the light in the refrigerator really goes out when you close the door.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:37 pm
Olen -- I'll take a shot at your first question. We all know it's okay to go through a doorway, but we're not sure it's appropriate to go through a "wall," even when it isn't there! Once the door was in, however, some people might have been unsure whether it was okay to open a closed door. Maybe they saw you walk through the "wall" and followed your lead.

As to your second question...Some people are lazy, some are exhausted, and some just have a poor...um...I forgot the word...oh yeah...memory. Smile

And roger, the light MUST go out...that little bulb lasts WAAAY too long!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:44 pm
Listen to Eva Olen. She's smart. We are conditioned to go through doors whether real or imaginary. We are not conditioned to go through walls. Question #2 - Possibly the people realize they don't have enough cash or they change their minds and decide bananas would taste better than onions or they are just pricks. Could be any one of those.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:45 pm
I have no idea. I walk through walls all the time.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:46 pm
I've done that shopping thingie. I was in a store, had a basket of stuff, got tired waiting in the checkout line (only one person on the checkout for about forty customers in line) so I put down my basket and left. I wasn't going to take another 10-15 minute walk around the store putting things back. I wouldn't have left if the other assistants would have opened up some more checkouts instead of standing around doing nothing.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:49 pm
As for the door, we are well-trained. I would do the exact same thing because I am thinking the door-way would be the first area cleared of debris and how do I know if the unfinished wall area has nails sticking up somewhere or something dangerous I could trip on ... I can just hear it now "what the heck are you doing coming through the wall?" after I trip and fall into the cement that is still wet!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:58 pm
My house has never actually finished being 'done'. When I was little, my father use to yell 'Don't go near there! There's - nails, screws, carpet tacks, live wires, varnish/paint/caulk/compound drying" Everytime I see anything under construction, I always take the 'better safe than sorry' approach and walk around or walk through as I normally would even if it looks perfectly harmless.

This is especially true around my families homes - the women say 'Cover it up or rope it off so no one goes over there' and the men say 'Any idiot can see I'm doing something over there, if they get hurt that's their problem!'

Besides, I wouldn't want to get yelled at Wink
0 Replies