Jesus the swimmer.

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm
I once read that the hebrew word for 'walk' and 'swim' are one and the same. I tried to find the article with no luck, so I was wondering weather some of you hade any knowledge on this subject. It essentially means Jesus didn't walk on water at all (he obviously didn't, but still).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,529 • Replies: 20
No top replies

neologist

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
The few references I can find, on short notice, to the word swim show it do be an activity distinct from walking.

Ex: Isaiah 25:11 "And he must slap out his hands in the midst of it as when a swimmer slaps [them] out to swim. . . "
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:35 pm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5216975979627863972&q=zeitgeist+greatest+story+ever+told&total=29&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:42 pm
jesus wasn't the only/first religious figure to walk on water, obviously it's standard fare when impressing the heathen.

i imagine david blane does it all the time.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:56 pm
jesus wasn't the first of anything he supposedly did. That's one of the things the video I posted shows.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:59 pm
i guessed right then, regarding the contents of the-

OH! it IS zeitgeist! seen it. not the first place i saw the comparison, however.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:08 pm
Yes, this video was posted here on A2K earlier. I can't recall by who, but anyway, that link has expired, so I figured I'd post it again.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:47 am
Sure he did, he knew where the rocks were. Laughing
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:50 am
Oh come on, he levitated across, he did not need rocks. They were there just in case.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:22 pm
the new testament was written in greek with some aramaic. The greek word used in matthew 14( the story of Christ walking on water) is peripateo which means to walk. It is not interchangeable with the greek word for swim.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:43 pm
Kate,

You are an expert in ancient Greek? I am impressed.

(I understand every language except Greek)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
Are you suggesting Jesus swam??? How mundane! I suppose even I could walk on water if it was frozen -- and I have many times.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 07:27 am
No, I guess you're right Nick. He really did walk on water.

Well, I guess thats it for me. I've finally found Jesus.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:10 am
I personally find the mistranslation that changed "young woman" to "virgin" far more problematic.

The religious obsession with sex might have been averted if someone could have just been literate.

Ah, well.

By the way, even if "swim" and "walk" were different words, who's to say the person who did the 8,382,381 rewrite of that passage didn't take it upon themselves to change it outright? Wink
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:57 am
Don't mock my new beliefs stlstrike!

...coming here with your reason and you logic... Heresy I say!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:58 am
If you drive your car on a wet road at speeds above 60 km/h there is a possibility that a thin film of water forms between the road and the tyres. Then you lose all control.

It's happened to me once or twice, and so I have actually driven my car on water. Jesus is outclassed and left in my wet highway dust. :wink:
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:31 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
If you drive your car on a wet road at speeds above 60 km/h there is a possibility that a thin film of water forms between the road and the tyres. Then you lose all control.

It's happened to me once or twice, and so I have actually driven my car on water. Jesus is outclassed and left in my wet highway dust. :wink:

Whatever. General Zod did it on film. That one-ups Jesus pretty substantially.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:41 pm
But in the end, general Zod got his butt kicked, same as Jesus.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
ebrown thanks but i can't take complete credit. I only know a little greek. I'm still learning. But i am an expert with using a lexicon :wink:
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:58 pm
Quote:
I personally find the mistranslation that changed "young woman" to "virgin" far more problematic.

The religious obsession with sex might have been averted if someone could have just been literate.

there is no mistranslation just ignorance on behalf of a few scholars.
there is only one word in the hebrew that is interchangeable for the words virgin and maiden( B@thuwlah) and the verse that some scholars like to argue over is isaiah 7:14 . They claim that the hebrew word for virgin actually means maiden and doesn't prove that Mary was a virgin.Yet in this one instance (vs 7:14) the hebrew word `almah(virgin) is used. and this isn't interchangeable with the word maiden.
also matthew (when he writes on Jesus' birth from the virgin mary) quotes from the LXX which uses the unambiguous greek term for "virgin"
0 Replies