Was Jesus Christ a rebel?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:16 pm
I heard a lady on the radio today take issue with the idea that Jesus was a rebel.

I'm not sure she understands the meaning of "rebel." She seemed to think it required Him to be militant.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,401 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:23 pm
Leaving aside the problem that there is no evidence that this individual ever existed (evidence outside religious scripture and hagiography), no, there is no reason to see the individual described as a "rebel." The scripture has this individual continually asserting that he observes "the law" (meaning Mosaic law) and no part of his message contradicts the religious principles basic to Judaism. In fact, his "message" appears to be the doctrine of the Essenes, who, if not part of the Jewish mainstream, did not hold beliefs which did any violence to Jewish theology, and who emphasized the observance of the law.

The entire "Passover" episode, with the condemnation of the putative Jesus is one of the most implausible passages in a very implausible story.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:25 pm
What do you mean he didn't exist? His face has been photographed in bushes, pieces of bread, mountain tops, etc... if people recognize him, he must have been real.

Give your head a shake, Set!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:29 pm
Jesus and Elvis have left the planet.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:57 pm
Scuse me, it occurs to me if Jesus went into the Temple of Solomon and started knocking the poop out of the money lenders with a whip wouldn't you consider that a bit militant. This behavior is hardly indicative of the Essenes non-violence policy. That is if he existed at all. Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:02 pm
Well, if he did exist, he was a slippery customer. After all, didn't his corpse go missing?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:09 pm
Maybe he's doing community service for the money lenders for the damage he did.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:34 pm
Something I've never understood.

Whenever the subject of Jesus, meek and mild comes up, the turning the money tables over in the temple story comes up. Like, "See, he wasn't a wussy"

What? So he got annoyed and over reacted once that anyone knows of, and that's proof of being a tough guy, rebel, militant, whatever?

The greatest story ever told...The greatest book ever written...bull...it's not that great a story, and all the stuff on how to live your live had been written many times before.

It's just a couple of hundred pages people, with some, albeit good guidelines to live by, like giving a helping hand and keeping your world.

Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people have been so entranced by this mediocre writing for so long.

I mean, what is it that's so great about this particular book, over others?

As history shows, it's only by politics, and/or luck of the draw, that this particular book ended up being THE book.

Actually, I think the story's pretty boring and extremely shop worn.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:45 pm
Which is older? The Bible or the Koran.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:00 pm
Was Jesus Christ a rebel?

I hope so, I just called my wife a really bad name...but if he is a reb, he will understand.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:06 pm
Sglass wrote:
Which is older? The Bible or the Koran.

The Bible is much older. The Koran makes many references to it including the Muslim belief that Jesus was a prophet, but not a god.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:51 pm
The word satan is variously defined as 'resister' or 'rebel'. The word Jesus means 'Salvation of Jehovah'. That would put Jesus in opposition to the rebel by definition.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:17 am
Chai wrote:
Something I've never understood.

Whenever the subject of Jesus, meek and mild comes up, the turning the money tables over in the temple story comes up. Like, "See, he wasn't a wussy"

What? So he got annoyed and over reacted once that anyone knows of, and that's proof of being a tough guy, rebel, militant, whatever?

Once? Let's not forget what he did to the poor fig tree.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:24 am
I think he was badass. He killed death.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:34 am
Snood you are being arcane.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:49 pm
Here's a nice read:

The Straight Dope: Who Killed Jesus?

They go into some of the theories about why the high priest had Jesus arrested.

(Yes, I know, the only record is that in the Bible....)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:25 pm
So

Dont' you think Jesus (if he existed) set himself up and that he should take responsibilty for his own demise? Always going around and blaming it on the other guy.

That's the trouble with Christianity, they're always looking for someone to nail.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:57 pm
Sglass wrote:
So

Dont' you think Jesus (if he existed) set himself up and that he should take responsibilty for his own demise? Always going around and blaming it on the other guy.

That's the trouble with Christianity, they're always looking for someone to nail.

Killing an innocent person so he can take over all the sin for a particular village was an old tradition in judaism, I don't see how jesus ( if he existed ) is any different from any of the other poor beggars.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:28 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Sglass wrote:
So

Killing an innocent person so he can take over all the sin for a particular village was an old tradition in judaism, I don't see how jesus ( if he existed ) is any different from any of the other poor beggars.
No foolin'!? What's yer source?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:21 pm
Sglass wrote:
Snood you are being arcane.

You might be right. Or you might be obtuse.
0 Replies