Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Churc

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:09 pm
Today's New York Times has an article about evangelical churches using "Halo 3" to attract young people. They reason that kids will come (including those under 17, for whom "Halo 3" is rated unacceptable) and then stay for refreshments and religious discussions, lectures, etc.

Does anyone else see this as "doing evil that good may come"? And does anyone else find it hard to believe in the ultimate success of this strategy? Does anyone really believe that teenagers will go to a church for an entertainment (?) based on Kill Kill Kill,and walk away strengthened in their religious faith - if any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 824 • Replies: 15
No top replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
Christians, like everyone else love to get together for fellowship. There is nothing wrong with this. But i believe it's wrong to use video games or other outside attractions to try and share the gospel. TO me it's like saying " The words of Christ aren't sufficient, so let's hype it up with cool stuff!" And this never works.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:20 pm
Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Churc
Personally, I think there are many non-religious things to do which can perfectly legitimately be used to attract young people to greater religious participation. I see nothing wrong in using secular activities to strengthen the appeal of any religion, Christian or otherwise.

We are human, and there are many routes within every religion to sincerely religious belief and behavior. If music appeals, for example, we use hymns to enhance the religious experience.

My objection here is to the use of "Halo3" to attract kids: it is a most extraordinarily violent video game whose one object is to kill. I don't think that in this case the end justifies the means.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:23 pm
These ministers seem like complete amateurs, don't they know anything about history? The only fool-proof way of recruiting new members is a promise of eternal glory in the afterlife and threats of eternal suffering if you turn your back an walk away.

They tried something new and failed, I'll bet they'll be back to the old routine in no time.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:31 pm
Re: Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at C
Tomkitten wrote:

My objection here is to the use of "Halo3" to attract kids: it is a most extraordinarily violent video game whose one object is to kill.

Anyone who has actually played the game would probably disagree, the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem. Besides, since when did christians feel morally outraged by storys of killing and murder? I mean, the old testament is basically nothing but.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:24 am
It's the same rationale behind why it's alright to let a 5 year old watch "Passion of the Christ".

They understand that fear and intimidation are an effective means to drive throngs of children into the arms of the worst imaginary friend ever.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:38 am
Good to see you back, strike
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:17 pm
Tomkitten wrote:
Personally, I think there are many non-religious things to do which can perfectly legitimately be used to attract young people to greater religious participation. I see nothing wrong in using secular activities to strengthen the appeal of any religion, Christian or otherwise.

Secular activities have their place but religious activities should be considered more important. (Matthew 6:33)

Perhaps the Catholic church is more concerned with declining attendance and cash flow problems than its relationship with God (Psalm 11:5)
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:20 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Tomkitten wrote:

My objection here is to the use of "Halo3" to attract kids: it is a most extraordinarily violent video game whose one object is to kill.

Anyone who has actually played the game would probably disagree, the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem. Besides, since when did christians feel morally outraged by storys of killing and murder? I mean, the old testament is basically nothing but.

Anyone who has actually read the Bible would probably disagree, the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:27 am
Quote-the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem. Besides, since when did christians feel morally outraged by storys of killing and murder? I mean, the old testament is basically nothing but.-Unquote..

I totally agree.

Quote-Anyone who has actually read the Bible would probably disagree, the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem.- Unquote

I totally disagree.... the old testament couldn't be simpler, full of death and destruction... especially if being read by teenagers, if I was trying to con kids into religion of any sort, the old testament would be much more fun to read than these 'bag bag your dead comics ' they read now. Sure give them a insight of what religion is all about.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:33 am
anton bonnier wrote:
Quote-the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem. Besides, since when did christians feel morally outraged by storys of killing and murder? I mean, the old testament is basically nothing but.-Unquote..

I totally agree.

Quote-Anyone who has actually read the Bible would probably disagree, the storyline is far more complex then you make it seem.- Unquote

I totally disagree.... the old testament couldn't be simpler, full of death and destruction... especially if being read by teenagers, if I was trying to con kids into religion of any sort, the old testament would be much more fun to read than these 'bag bag your dead comics ' they read now. Sure give them a insight of what religion is all about.
Your misconception is common among those who don't understand the bible. Death, destruction and human misery, to be sure, but as a consequence of Edenic rebellion, not as God's will.

This is precisely what Jesus was referring to when he said that he came to bear witness to the truth.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:39 am
neologist wrote:
Your misconception is common among those who don't understand the bible. Death, destruction and human misery, to be sure, but as a consequence of Edenic rebellion, not as God's will.

I never understood that logic, why should I suffer for 'the sins of my father'?
If all humans have free will then why should all humans collectively be punished for something an individual did a long time ago?
Or perhaps you interpret that passage figuratively?

I'm not attacking your beliefs, I just don't see the logic.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:27 am
Coolwhip wrote:
neologist wrote:

If all humans have free will then why should all humans collectively be punished for something an individual did a long time ago?

This may be difficult to understand, I realize; but our human condition is not a punishment, but a consequence of the Edenic rebellion.

The bible holds a promise of redemption for all people, including those who have already died, that they will have the opportunity to claim the future that Adam and Eve lost. So, after one has been alive for a few hundred years or so, will he curse God for the pain he experienced in this system, or thank God for his life and his family?

This is all subject to verification, of course, but it is what the bible actually says.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:51 pm
Quote:
Today's New York Times has an article about evangelical churches using "Halo 3" to attract young people. They reason that kids will come (including those under 17, for whom "Halo 3" is rated unacceptable) and then stay for refreshments and religious discussions, lectures, etc.

there is nothing wrong with christians doing things for fun. BUT what i have a problem with, as i stated earlier, is that this is done for the sole purpose of bringing kids to church. The gospel of Christ doesn't need to be added to, to draw people. Jesus' life and teachings and sacrifice for us is enough.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 01:07 pm
neologist wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:
neologist wrote:

This may be difficult to understand, I realize; but our human condition is not a punishment, but a consequence of the Edenic rebellion.

The bible holds a promise of redemption for all people, including those who have already died, that they will have the opportunity to claim the future that Adam and Eve lost. So, after one has been alive for a few hundred years or so, will he curse God for the pain he experienced in this system, or thank God for his life and his family?

This is all subject to verification, of course, but it is what the bible actually says.

I think it's safe to say we differ on some key issues, but I still think religious dogmas take all the fun out of life.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:12 pm
neologist wrote:
anton bonnier wrote:

I totally agree.

This is precisely what Jesus was referring to when he said that he came to bear witness to the truth.

Seen any sheep lately, Neo?
0 Replies