interesting innit?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:45 pm
whoa......
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:53 pm
I knocked off reading when I got to the "could lead" bit.

I consider my time to be a bit more precious than following up on all the "coulds".

Wasn't that the point of On The Waterfront?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:56 pm
spendius wrote:
I knocked off reading when I got to the "could lead" bit.

I consider my time to be a bit more precious than following up on all the "coulds".

Wasn't that the point of On The Waterfront?

You appeared to be so impatient to dismiss the story, I don't think you grasped the gist of it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:31 pm
The point is we haven't figured out the meaning all the sequences of the four bases that form the genetic code.and what they do. What if accidently this bacteria causes a disease and cannot be killed?
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:38 am
We've hardly figured out the meaning behind ALL combinations of the four, but we know enough to make something that works.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:41 am
I'm sure this knowledge will be applied to the development of super weapons of mass destruction....

and then bush will invade micro nesia...
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:50 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm sure this knowledge will be applied to the development of super weapons of mass destruction....

and then bush will invade micro nesia...

Darn terrorist amoeba. They could be anywhere... even in Iraq!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:57 am
creationists will be really pissed when they later discover this new manmade chromosome "evolved" from earlier projects. HEHEHEHEHE
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:07 am
I still don't think the creationists will care though, since you can't see a single bacteria with your naked eye. They tend to not believe in things they can't directly see, except for God of course.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:07 pm
Now let us advance this to the level where we understand the genetic code thoroughly. Say fifty or hundred years from now a scientist takes an egg from a desperate woman and a vial of semen from some college student's jerk-off and alters the genes to produce the perfect genes for a super athletic human immune to all diseases. He/she combines the two chromosomes in a test tube and a super human is born. He/she patents this creature. Is this a patented creature or slave or what? Next,he/she will produce designer soldiers for the Pentagon like the clones in George Lukas's Star Wars movies. Coming next is designer workers for factories. Will they be humans or patented creatures or slaves? Next, will be perfect strippers for strip clubs and skinny walking skeletons for the fashion industry. These are coming and we will facing these issues and slavery would be back again.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:12 pm
An enterprising scientist could patent the perfect organ resistant to disease. The genetic code would be patented. However, if living people develop the same organs without intervention of science would the organs in the people belong to this scientist that patented this genetic code of the organ? See, patenting lifeforms creates more problems than solves them.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:57 pm
the u.s. dept of defense doesn't have to honor patents, they can use intellectual property freely.

it's obvious that medicine should also be exempt. the fact that it isn't is pretty solid evidence that killing people is a bigger priority in this country than healing them. that, and the dollar is a higher priority too- probably higher than killing is. our culture is pretty goddamned sick. but it's a christian nation, after all- jesus said heal the sick, he never said do it for free!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 05:50 pm
If I remember correctly Jesus had a bad tempered rant in the pub about them not appreciating him enough.

talk- what happens when you put a bunch of these "super athletic humans" on the starting blocks in the Olympic Games?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 06:41 pm
spendi

They are 'frankenstein offsprings' of the brilliant scientist. The Olympics is against drugs and artificiality in the make-up of the athletes. They are certainly artificial and may not be accepted in the Olympics but perfect for any military dictator.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:52 pm
Every major scientific advance is met with doubt and a measure of fear. Sometimes fear is justified, but, not automatically, every time.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:14 am
talk72000 wrote:
Now let us advance this to the level where we understand the genetic code thoroughly. Say fifty or hundred years from now a scientist takes an egg from a desperate woman and a vial of semen from some college student's jerk-off and alters the genes to produce the perfect genes for a super athletic human immune to all diseases. He/she combines the two chromosomes in a test tube and a super human is born. He/she patents this creature. Is this a patented creature or slave or what? Next,he/she will produce designer soldiers for the Pentagon like the clones in George Lukas's Star Wars movies. Coming next is designer workers for factories. Will they be humans or patented creatures or slaves? Next, will be perfect strippers for strip clubs and skinny walking skeletons for the fashion industry. These are coming and we will facing these issues and slavery would be back again.

Is that suposed to be an argument aginst developing new technology? These things are up to the politicians, i.e. the people, not the scientists. The scientist's job is to develop new technology regardless of ethics, IMO(the research must be done according to ethics). Then you can debate weather or not to use this new technology.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 11:05 pm
This is a tough area for there are real benefits to this kind of activity but also very dangerous ones far more dangerous than any other technology. Imagine a super intelligent patented franken human who decides to kill his/her franken father/mother as he/she was to be free of the restrictions placed on his/her activities as this creature might not be considered human and will be without rights. He/she could bypass the reproductive process and create a secret lab to grow more of his/her kind and definitely humans could be eliminated or put into a subservient position as they are not as superior in athletic nor intellectual ability. The movie iRobots and Matrix trilogy show robots or machines becoming masters. These franken humans are far more dangerous as they have everything and more what humans have as scientists have removed all the genetic impediments to superior performance to every activity. The X-Men movies illustrate some of the problems with mutants as well as the TV show Black Angel. The franken humans are not mutants but lab perfected humanoids.

The best minds need to get on top of this and a robust and rigorous oversight is needed to prevent the a future catastrophe.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:04 am
talk72000 wrote:
This is a tough area for there are real benefits to this kind of activity but also very dangerous ones far more dangerous than any other technology. Imagine a super intelligent patented franken human who decides to kill his/her franken father/mother as he/she was to be free of the restrictions placed on his/her activities as this creature might not be considered human and will be without rights. He/she could bypass the reproductive process and create a secret lab to grow more of his/her kind and definitely humans could be eliminated or put into a subservient position as they are not as superior in athletic nor intellectual ability. The movie iRobots and Matrix trilogy show robots or machines becoming masters. These franken humans are far more dangerous as they have everything and more what humans have as scientists have removed all the genetic impediments to superior performance to every activity. The X-Men movies illustrate some of the problems with mutants as well as the TV show Black Angel. The franken humans are not mutants but lab perfected humanoids.

The best minds need to get on top of this and a robust and rigorous oversight is needed to prevent the a future catastrophe.

And you really see this as a possible threat? You really, really sound like you've read too many fiction novels.
0 Replies