Censorship is Awesome Part II

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 08:52 pm
Dear Moderators,

I knew you'd delete my first thread before you did.

That's how slow and not particularly clever you are.

But please, proceed in shattering the pleasant illusion that strangers can tangle horns and use sarcasm on each other without offending Puritan sensibilities by routinely making your presence felt.

And, if you still have absolutely nothing intelligent to say on the matter, feel free to cover my mouth again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 658 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 08:55 pm
Oh, whatever. We both know I only sort of care.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:06 pm
What'd I miss?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:18 pm
Not much, really. Cjhsa started another idiotic thread meant to provoke a certain contigent and I took the bait. Some of the above is hypocritical because I didn't have anything particularly intelligent to say on his thread; rather, I sarcastically suggested all liberals be killed via firearms, which cj, of course, has an affinity for.

And magically the thread disappeared.

I just can't help feeling that certain posters are chummy with the moderators, report anything slightly "unchristian," and then, poof...

This "free knowledge exchange" just feels slightly disingenuous when there's a hair-trigger trap door threads are at risk of disappearing through, that's all. I know there's the T.O.S. and blah-blah-blah, but let's face it, there are a lot worse things kids can encounter on the internet than a sarcastic Kool-Aid pitcher. And they know exactly how to find such things.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:24 pm
HA! I knew you were Kool-aid - someone tried to tell me you were juice!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:33 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Not much, really. Cjhsa started another idiotic thread meant to provoke a certain contigent and I took the bait. Some of the above is hypocritical because I didn't have anything particularly intelligent to say on his thread; rather, I sarcastically suggested all liberals be killed via firearms, which cj, of course, has an affinity for.

And magically the thread disappeared.

I just can't help feeling that certain posters are chummy with the moderators, report anything slightly "unchristian," and then, poof...

This "free knowledge exchange" just feels slightly disingenuous when there's a hair-trigger trap door threads are at risk of disappearing through, that's all. I know there's the T.O.S. and blah-blah-blah, but let's face it, there are a lot worse things kids can encounter on the internet than a sarcastic Kool-Aid pitcher. And they know exactly how to find such things.

Lol!!!

At, least as often it's the christians/conservatives complaining that the progressive/non-theists get favoured.

We have equal opportunity moaning here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 03:45 am
Stepping into the tarbaby, briefly. Then I'm locking this topic. Not because anyone's asking me to or because of anyone's sarcasm or unChristian stuff (like that would matter one iota to me, BTW), but because I don't have the time for tarbaries. Which is exactly what topics like these are (these appeals to the general membership instead of asking the Mods directly, via the Help Desk), which is why we generally pull them immediately.

But you wanted an explanation.

Yes, we know you were being sarcastic. We are actually bright enough to have figured that one out. Amazing, ain't it? Smile

And the sarcasm is fine. Hell, if it wasn't, 90% of A2K would be pulled.

Did it ever occur to you that your sarcasm was not why the original topic was pulled? Or that perhaps it was pulled without anyone reporting it? No? Well, both things are the case. But if you crave an explanation, it will not be forthcoming here. If you ask on the Help Desk, though, which is the normal channels through which we communicate with the membership, we will be happy to answer yours (or anyone else's) questions.

But we will only (aside from rare occasions such as this) discuss moderation within the confines of the Help Desk (and, by the way, individual moderation is confidential -- if you want to ask about one specific person's suspension history, we are not going to tell you that). We cannot be looking for every single topic or post out there that screams for Moderator attention, or subtly hints at a desire for it. We're not clairvoyant and we don't have the hours in a day.

Just as an FYI, if you care at all, we read an awful lot of topics every single day, from 75k plus people. We pull a boatload of spam (Italian spam these days) and spend a lot of time trying to make it so that it never even gets here in the first place. Plus we've been fielding a number of inquiries about the transition. With the changeover to the .org extension, a lot of people needed new passwords. We did that, too. So forgive us if we don't individually rush in to explain every little nugget of what we do, or wait for every topic to turn in one direction or another.

Thank you for listening.
0 Replies