Health and Effort

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
I think that there is a limit on the amount of effort a human put forth. When one approaches the limit, one endangers one's health... and if one reaches the limit, one dies. People who overexert themselves at work tend to suffer from a variety of illnesses.. and according to the legend of the Marathon, the person who ran it tried so hard that he died.

What do you all think of this as a philosophical idea? That one will damage oneself by trying too hard? Does this not challenge the Puritan ethic of hard work in America and similar ideals in other countries?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:05 am
*shrugs* It seems to be stating the obvious to me.

Is there really any philosophical question?

Quote:
Does this not challenge the Puritan ethic of hard work in America and similar ideals in other countries?

No where in the Protestant work ethic (which originated in Germany btw) is there anything that says one should work beyond their abilities. There is a huge difference between working hard within your physical and mental limits and working in excess of those limits.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:28 am
Who determines what are the safe limits? I define limits by the very fact that reaching them is self-destructive, but I believe they can easily go by unnoticed or uncared about if hard work is the main focus, because discomfort is taken as a sign that effort is being put forth, and not as a sign of oncoming poor health. For example, someone who is trying to overcome laziness may think they are feeling uncomfortable because they are actually trying for once, but because of this, if they get sick they may pass off the resulting discomfort as a result of overcoming laziness and not as a result of sickness.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
For the record, the man who ran the first marathon didn't die - there are races up to 1000 miles long today, and few people have ever died.

I think the only thing that counts is physical exhaustion, whether it be in the form of fatigue, stress, etc.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon%2C_Greece

I meant the legendary run of the Greek who died after delivering his message.

The mind is part of the body too. You think it doesn't get exhausted?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:09 pm
averner wrote:

Legendary = never happened. :wink: The story is a fable, myth... call it what you will. It's fabricated.
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 02:23 am
Anything too ... (including to hard) is not good.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 03:27 am
averner wrote:

The mind is part of the body too. You think it doesn't get exhausted?

Yea I realised. It's a myth.
0 Replies