What BOOK are you reading right now?

benconservato

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:56 am
"The Rule of Four" kind of annoyed me. Perhaps I am not into the whole American University thing. All those books like "The Da Vinci Code" "My Secret History" and "The Rule of Four" pale into insignificance, for me, compared to "Foucault's Pendulum".
But that is just my taste, and my opinion. Doesn't make it right or the only opinion.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
I'm in the first 100 pages of the Rule of Four...... it's annoying already, but I've promised myself a nice big lump of inconsequential reading since way before the election and it is fitting the bill.

Joe
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:32 am
Magical Thinking, a book of essays by Augusten Burroughs.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks BigWizz, I will check out Disgrace. I unfortunately (with 6 pages left) left the book at a coffee shop, but returned to find it ok! whew!

rapsuhdee--Are you enjoying Devil? Several folks were reading it on a trip I was on recently...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:48 am
Finished Richard II, starting Henry IV, part 1.
Found my son's copy of "The Hitchhiker's Guide" series lying around and now I'm rereading that as well.
Anyone read "Born Fighting"?
0 Replies

rapsuhdee

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
loislane17 wrote:
rapsuhdee--Are you enjoying Devil? Several folks were reading it on a trip I was on recently...

Well, i've only read a couple of chapters, but so far so good. It gets annoyingly slow sometimes, but overall i'd say a very good non-fiction book. Reads like a fiction.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
Reading "No Full Stops in India", reminiscences and pieces by BBC correspondent Mark Tully whom I knew there in the 70s and is still broadcasting. Well written and easy to read.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
Happy Birthday, Clary! Has it been just a year? I'm sure glad that you joined. Your posts are among my very most favorite.

Your other birthday buddy,
P
0 Replies

bridge

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
i just finished reading HE'S NOT THAT INTO YOU. every single woman needs to read this book... it's hilarious... it's not a bunch of psycho babble- just logic and a good laugh... very light read.

currently i'm reading MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA...so far it's great... i'm having a hard time putting it down!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 12:30 pm
reading BEAUTIFUL BODIES by Laura Shaine Cunningham
There are some really ugly personalities in there...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm
Piffka wrote:
Happy Birthday, Clary! Has it been just a year? I'm sure glad that you joined. Your posts are among my very most favorite.

Your other birthday buddy,
P

Hey we practically share an A2K birthday too! Great minds or what?

Re-reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because in turning out bookshelves I discovered my grandfather's 1902 version and it made me feel 7 again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
Oh, Clary, have I missed your birthday? Well here's my belated birthday greeting to you:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY & LOVE TO CLARY!

I knew you were a Sag, Clary, but didn't know the actual date of the clebration. I hope you had a great day! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:56 pm
...and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY & LOVE TO PIFFKA!

When was this most important day on the birthday calendar? Confused
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
It was just my A2K birthday, Olga, don't get your knickers in a twist! But it's always nice to have some birthday greetings at any time of year!! Piffka and I are proud to appropriate December 17th for the Day of the Year.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:05 pm
Laughing

PHEW! <untwisting her knickers>

OK, then! HAPPY A2K BIRTHDAY!

So, December the 17th, then?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:33 pm
Quote:
Waiting for the Barbarians was great, if you liked that try his book Disgrace it's amazing.

BigWizz,

I loved Disgrace. Coetzee is an unusual writer and an even more unusual thinker. Did you read The Good Doctor, short-listed for last year's Booker? Reminded me of Coetzee. Disturbing, with a whole world unspoken beneath the words.

(PF, I got in by the back door. Laughing )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:38 pm
I'm reading a small novel by Philip Roth - The Dying Animal. It's about facing mortality, coping with obsession & trying to live one's life in a way that's "true" to ones self. Rather confronting, in parts!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:44 pm
I took a break from serious reading and sped through "One Step Behind" by Henning Mankell. My husband is devoted to this Swedish crime novelist so I tried one and enjoyed it well enough.

Last week, I almost finished Jonathan Lethem's last book - the one before his newly released one -- and I loved it until he exhausted me with his tireless brilliance. He should have ended the book 75 pages before he did. I just put it down one night and said Enough. I fell in love with him after I read Motherless Brooklyn and, like most lovers, I was blind to his faults. He doesn't have many but I am no longer young enough to finish a book for finishing's sake.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
" -- and I loved it until he exhausted me with his tireless brilliance. "

I like that, Kara! Laughing
0 Replies

BigWizz

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
Quote:
BigWizz,

I loved Disgrace. Coetzee is an unusual writer and an even more unusual thinker. Did you read The Good Doctor, short-listed for last year's Booker? Reminded me of Coetzee. Disturbing, with a whole world unspoken beneath the words.

I have it somewhere around here, but I've been to busy for the last couple months trying to kill some of the 'bigger' books in my backlog. (Underworld, The Adventures of Augie March, The Gormenghast Trilogy, Mason & Dixon, The Time of Our Singing, & I'm hoping to get to The Idiot by the end of the year)

I was going to start The Good Doctor some time next year, probably after I read Robert Coover's A Night At The Movies Or, You Must Remember This because I haven't read a short story collection in quite a while.
0 Replies