What BOOK are you reading right now?

cavfancier

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:43 am
"My Life and Loves" by Frank Harris. He sure was one cocky guy.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:17 am
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:24 am
I've just read my first John Grisham novel - The Firm. It was excellent, and I am going to read more by him.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:08 am
Me again. I am also reading "Fast Food Nation," in some ways a modern "The Jungle." I have a nonfiction book for "downstairs" reading and a bedtime book, which leads to a new question I'll now post.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:05 am
bermbits wrote:
Me again. I am also reading "Fast Food Nation," in some ways a modern "The Jungle." I have a nonfiction book for "downstairs" reading and a bedtime book, which leads to a new question I'll now post.

EXCELLENT BOOK!

After reading "Fast Food Nation", I swore off Fast Food(McDonalds, BK, but not Subway or Panera)

I'm now reading Tracks, by Robyn Davidson. Let's just say my preception of Austrailia is changing a bit.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:07 am
I have been working on my EN 101 syllabus for the new semester. My kids are slated to read the first chapter of Fast Food Nation sometime in November.
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:40 am
Larry- True, I read it at the end of The Germany Ideology in one edition, neglected to realise that it was originally written separately. Thanks for pointing it out
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
I saw the play, "Jumpers", years ago. I remember that the wit flew about the stage fast and furiously, too fast for me; I think I'd enjoy reading the play, Clary.

I'm reading McCarthy's Bar, a raconteur's guide to Ireland by Pete McCarthy.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
I was a bit disappointed in McCarthy's Bar (I heard an episode on the radio). I recommend Hokkaido Highway Blues as a funny and interesting travel book, by Will Ferguson. I need some recommended holiday reading - fiction, interesting, not historical, light to carry!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
I have no opinion yet on McCarthy's Bar; it is a little quiet in contrast to a book I just finished, A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain. I'll keep my eye out for Hokkaido Highway Blues.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:05 pm
Right now? Hmm... I recently bought an absolutely beautiful volume of Shakespear's selected works so I'm rereading the Tempest.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
I just went to the bookstore. I'm reading Word Freak (STILL!), but next I'll start a selection of science fiction by EG Poe. That's right. Scifi by Poe. I can't wait!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:15 am
I'm reading 'A round-heeled woman' by Jane Juska; I like its breaking of the taboos round age and sex!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:44 am
um, that sounds intersting, Clary...
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:46 am
Garath--I see you sneakily corrected the source of your Karl Marx quote after I called your attention to your mistake. Never underestimate the deviousness of Able2Know people!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:50 am
Finally back to the Lucia Graves autobiography, A Woman Unknown.

Quote:
"Remarkable … Although many English writers have opened windows on Spain . . . none has done it so intimately or so personally as Lucia Graves . . . A book of high literary distinction and extraordinary humanity." Times Literary Supplement

Lucia Graves, the daughter of the poet Robert Graves, was raised by her parents in postwar Spain. At home she spoke English and was read to from her father's Greek Myths; in her village on Majorca, she spoke Catalan and was steeped in the island's pre-Christian folkways; in various state-run Catholic schools, she received a Franco-era formal education -- a mix of classicism and overheated nationalism -- in high-Castilian Spanish.

link
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
fortune wrote:
Right now? Hmm... I recently bought an absolutely beautiful volume of Shakespear's selected works so I'm rereading the Tempest.

How beautiful? Works of more than one S. play usually have ridiculously small print, but I'm assuming that this one does not. O, what works does it include, Fortune? I adore the Tempest; it is my favourite play of all time.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
(Incidentally, I'm reading Lorca's Poeta en Nueva York, along with lots of work from the end of his life, and enjoying it lots.)
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
Yes, I know what you mean about the ridiculously small print, Drom. This copy, however, I assure you has perfectly sized print. It's quite large, you see, but not too thick. Other than The Tempest it includes:

Two Gentlemen of Verona,
Merry Wives of Windsor,
Twelfth Night: Or, What You Will,
Measure for Measure,
Much Ado About Nothing,
A Midsummer Night's Dream,
Love's Labour's Lost,
The Merchant of Venice,
As You Like It,
All's Well that Ends Well,
The Taming of the Shrew,
The Winter's Tale,
The Comedy of Errors,
King John,
The Life and Death of King Richard II

I do have the complete works of Shakespeare lying around somewhere but this book was just too beautiful to resist. It even smells the way it should!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy
0 Replies