What BOOK are you reading right now?

Gargamel

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:33 am
Cool. I just started Skinny Legs and All. My first time reading Robbins.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:36 am
Gargamel wrote:
Cool. I just started Skinny Legs and All. My first time reading Robbins.

Good times!! Smile
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Nearly finished Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.. Great fantasy, highly recomended Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:27 am
Hey, shepaints & Gautam ...

My local library surprised me by having a copy of A Fine Balance! I now have it in my hot little hands (it's BIG!) & it will be my next read after finishing the book I'm currently reading: Alison Lurie's The Last Resort. I'm looking forward to it.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:33 am
Just picked up Tracks by Robyn Davidson.

This is the book I decided to read after hearing a song:)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:17 am
Enjoy A Fine Balance Ms Olga! It's a great read Smile

msolga wrote:

My local library surprised me by having a copy of A Fine Balance! I now have it in my hot little hands (it's BIG!) & it will be my next read after finishing the book I'm currently reading: Alison Lurie's The Last Resort. I'm looking forward to it.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 01:10 pm
Glad to hear it Msolga. I will be interested to hear
your thoughts on this epic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:18 pm
I'll be comparing notes with you good folk as I read! Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:55 pm
trying to wade through a biography of (ex) british prime minister john major. some pretty fascinating details of his life both before becoming prime minister and when fighting hard to stay in power. it is interesting to note the differences in power between a canadian prime minister - who can rule almost unchallenged - and a british prime minister who - so it seems - has to almost constantly ensure the loyality of his cabinet. a phrase i picked up : the enemy does not sit on the other side of the house, but sits in the rows behind the prime minister.
0 Replies

Sirius Black

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:48 pm
What BOOK are you reading right now?
I am reading The Dark Tower lll by Stephen King.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:08 am
msolga wrote:

Looking fwd to hearing yr thoughts on it !! Keep a tissue handy
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:48 am
"The Tales of Hoffman"
I was reading "The Tales of Hoffman." I found it very unintersting. I just looked for it but I misplaced it. It's around here someplace. I think.

E.T.A Hoffman's biography is much more interesting than his writing where horror or mystery is concerned. I based the decision to purchase the book after reading his biography. It was a mistake. I might research his biography to a great extent because it is interesting. Not the book. Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
Gautam wrote:
msolga wrote:

Looking fwd to hearing yr thoughts on it !! Keep a tissue handy

OK! Laughing
I've brought a box of tissues especially for the purpose, Gautam! I'm starting the book today ... Will keep you posted. Maybe we can have a weep together? Laughing
0 Replies

Sirius Black

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:30 pm
now i am reading the dark tower 4 the wizard and the glass
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:48 pm
Started reading The Years of Rice and Salt today, by Kim Stanley Robinson, same person that wrote the sci-fi Mars trilogy. He provides a fictional account of what life would've been like if the first Black Plague had wiped out the whole of Europe in the 13th century just as the mongol horde was coming, history written by the East instead of the West. It seems a good read, getting piercing insight into the attitudes and religions of the Chinese and Mongols. It seems a good book, anyone who enjoyed the Mars books would like it I think.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
Garath--your Karl Marx quote is wrongly attributed. It comes not from THE GERMAN IDEOLOGY but is instead the last of the "Theses on Feuerbach."

I am reading a bunch of novels by Ward Just, who is a good, not great, living American novelist. Alas, he seems to have peaked some time ago. But he is still publishing and I am catching up on his last 3 novels.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 11:41 am
Now reading Vince Flynn's "Term Limits." It's a political thriller.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:50 pm
The Testament- John Grisham
0 Replies

Lordregent52

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:41 pm
Inherit the Wind
Do plays count as books? I'm in what I think is my eighth reading of Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee. No, not the general Robert E. Lee. It's based on the Scopes trial and I highly reccomend it. My school is going to do a performance this fall, so I'm quite excited about that. High hopes for the part of Drummond, the defense attorney.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:40 am
Funny you should mention plays, I've been rereading Tom Stoppard's plays, starting with Jumpers. It's necessary to read them to understand the wit and philosophy!
0 Replies