What BOOK are you reading right now?

hamburger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:34 pm
just picked up "dewdroppers, waldos, and slackers - a decade-by-decade guide to the vanishing vocabulary of the twentieth century" by rosemarieostler. a real fun read. here are some of the lost words and expressions :"fire alarm" - a divorced women, "to give the ozone"- to brush off or dismiss curtly, also "to give the icy mitt", "hoover blankets" - newspapers used to keep warm while sleeping outdoors, and another one with credits to president hoover "hoover hogs" - wild rabbits that rural people caught for food,and the final one (from me) "adam and eve on a raft" - two eggs on toast. i'm having fun with this book. "i'm given yer the ozone" ! hbg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:59 am
Interesting book, Hamburger!

I've just re-read Johnny Panic and the Bible of dreams, by Plath, and now I'm in the middle of trying to read Finnegans Wake by Joyce.

0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:27 pm
I just finished the Ya-Ya Sisterhood yesterday...sniff...parts will make you cry Crying or Very sad .
Now I'm starting Battlefield Earth, I never saw the movie, but I'm willing to give the book a try.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:21 pm
I'm now totally engrossed in LIGHT YEARS - Maggie Gee, after searching high & low for a copy, for ages. It's wonderful. Well worth a 2nd read!
0 Replies

OceanKayaking240

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:44 pm
I am currently reading "Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:53 pm
Finished "Red Badge of Courage" - it could have been easily written as a short story.

Just started "All Quiet on the Western Front" to be followed with "Sea Wolf". Don't know when I'll ever get back to "War and Peace".
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:07 am
Hamberger, dewdroppers...sounds like a great book. i'm going to look for it.

Ocean, what is Prozac Nation about?

BillW, I think I've seen Red Badge of Courage in anthology of short fiction.

Drom, "Trying to read Finnigan's Wake" is a good way to put it. I love the Dubliners. So far I have not had the patience for his more abstract works (if that's a proper expression).
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:23 pm
Hazlitt, it runs about 220 pages, typical for its era. And, also typical for its era. Actually, for the 1850's, it used extensive verbage to augment scenes that would be discarded in contemporary literature. It is a long, short story in 4 scenes.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:03 pm
Thanks Bill, I'm always intending to read that story, but so far i've not gotten to it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 05:22 am
I'm reading The Corrections, after listening to the taped version, kindly sent by an A2K friend last year.
As well, I'm listening to a translated talking book of the Dalai Lama's The Way To a Meaningful Life.
0 Replies

Olly

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:24 am
I'm reading Haruki Murakami right now and he has got all the chances to become one of my favorite authors.

What I like about "After the Quake" is that it gives you a freedom of choice to decide what the story is about and interpretate it your own way. Plus, the whole thing is noodle-baking and I like it.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:33 am
"All Quiet on the Western Front" is so, so gory. How anyone can possibly thing that war is honorable after reading this book has got to have their head examined!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:45 am
"Blowback" is done. Though the book focused on Asia, I can see a lot of it happening now in the Middle East.

I may make a post to my 'blog on this over the weekend.

On to. . . .
The Koran.
0 Replies

Olly

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:15 am
I am reading "The Catcher In The Rye" by J.D. Salinger right now.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:52 pm
I'm in the middle of The Liars' Club by Mary Karr
after having finished the biographies of Peter
O'Toole and Peter Finch....
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:24 pm
Shepaints,

The Liar's Club is a wonderful memoir. It was an honest and sad story. She makes wonderful use of metaphor and simile. These things seem to come very naturally to her mind. Often the use of these devices can seem strained and affecting, but I found that her language flowed along very naturally, and all the metaphors and similes seen just a part of her every day speech.

Her second memoir Cherry is good also, but not as good as The Liar's Club.

I wonder if she's written anything else. Guess I'll have to look her up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:56 pm
I agree on The Liar's Club, and oh, I wonder who I leant my copy to.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:13 am
Finished "All Quiet on the Western Front", it was a very good book. It was one that was recommended for me to read in High School, but I didn't. In fact, I didn't really read anything then - maybe the reason I'm reading classics now.

Next, Jack London's "The Sea-Wolf"

Olly, I really enjoyed "Catcher in the Rye" - reminded me of Jack Kerouac
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:45 am
Started "Speaks The Nightbird" Robert McCammon on Sunday and really glad to have a new book from him in my hands, have missed him greatly.

Quote:
After a ten-year absence from publishing, McCammon (Boy's Life) returns with this historical novel of colonial Carolina. In 1699, legal clerk Matthew Corbett accompanies magistrate Isaac Woodward to Fount Royal, where he has been summoned to decide whether a witch is living in the newly established settlement.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:08 am
Just finished The Corrections tonight. The ending has left me feeling rather melancholy. <sigh>
0 Replies