291

What BOOK are you reading right now?

1  
Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 03:24 am
@hightor,
Love anything seafaring. Maybe youd like the historical novels about the Bolitho Brothers by Alx Kent (a pen name of a guy name Reeman)
They were age of sail novels .
Im gonna go and see Amazon ad for Jack Tar. I m reading cereal boxes
hightor

1  
Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 03:42 am
...the historical novels about the Bolitho Brothers...

Thanks — I'll check them out for sure. I loved the Master and Commander series.

colinnaa

1  
Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 12:22 pm
@littlek,
I'm reading The Stranger now

I recommend reading it, but not everyone will like it.

Sturgis

1  
Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 01:32 pm
I have a few choices lined up, haven't made a decision yet.

Roberta

2  
Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 03:28 pm
I'm trying to get into The Great Bridge, the story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. So far it's a struggle for me to get involved.
Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 06:26 pm
I have been reading The Last Wish, the first book in the Witcher series, after watching the first season on Netflix.

The book, which is a collection of short stories, has been good so far. Some of the stories are darker takes on some known fairy tales like Snow White and Beauty & The Beast.

1  
Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 07:47 pm
Finding it kind of difficult to focus on reading books. I did manage to reread James Morrow's Only Begotten Daughter in mid-March. First read back in the early 90s. I love that his books are starting to pop up on Audible.

If you're evangelical Christian? His brand of hellfire religious satire could likely be seen worse than the Holocaust.

Call it a miracle or an accident at the sperm bank. But Julie Katz, the half-sister of Jesus, has been born to a celibate father. Soon poor Julie is tempted by the Devil and challenged by neo-Christian zealots-and that’s just the beginning of her fantastic odyssey through Hell, a seceded New Jersey, and her own confused soul. Winner of a 1991 World Fantasy Award.

5/5 on Goodreads.

My next book took me from that point to June 3: The Delirium Brief (Laundry Files, #8) from Charlie Stross. Rated a 5/5 (but closer to 4/5)

One graphic novel/volume: Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens #1) in May.
4/5. Crass adult fantasy/comedy. Pretty dang gory.

Presently drip reading (30% done) All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders.

Borat Sister

2  
Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 11:30 pm
@Roberta,
Love that bridge!
Roberta

2  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 04:15 pm
@Borat Sister,
I'm wondering whether my inability to get into the Bridge book is because I'm from the Bronx, and people from the Bronx never have much to do with Brooklyn. It's too steenkin' far away. But it is a nice bridge.

I recently reread Faulkner's Light in August. That man wrote with such intensity that I had to occasionally stop to catch my breath.

Aside: I think I've done more reading in the past three months than I have in the previous three years.

2  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 05:23 pm
@Roberta,
Light in August is my fave Faulkner book.
Roberta

1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 09:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Mine, too.
Sturgis

1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 04:34 pm
@Roberta,
I take it Absalom, Absalom! Isn't on the radar here...
akaDebacle

1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 08:04 pm
@Sturgis,
I like Absalom, Absolom! as it sets the tone for Yoknapatawpha. However, I never cared much for Quentin Compson, and especially not The Sound and the Fury. Favorites include The Unvanquished and Flags in the Dust (or Sartoris).

1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 08:11 pm
I liked Faulkner's Sanctuary but was surprised to discover it barely relevant to the film about it starring Odetta, which I had seen a few years prior.

Roberta

1  
Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2020 05:18 pm
Another Faulkner that pops to mind is As I Lay Dying.

Hey. Dat man could write.
akaDebacle

1  
Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:38 am
@Roberta,
If pressed, I'd have to say my favorite Faulkner book was his last The Reivers, a sort of a picaresque bilsdungroman. In 1905, eleven-year-old Lucius Priest and two of his family's retainers set out from Mississippi for Memphis in a motorcar (only the second car to appear on the streets of Jefferson, MS) stolen from Lucius' grandfather. Escapades ranged from racehorses to bawdy houses.

The book was published on June 4, 1962, and Faulkner died on July 6th.

Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:04 am
I'm reading 2 books at the moment.

Gone South by Robert R. McCammon. It is about a Vietnam vet on the run in Louisiana after he killed a bank manager in a fit of rage. I have read 2 other books by McCammon (Swan Song and Stinger, both sci-fi), so it is odd to read something of his that isn't too fantastical or supernatural. The book still has some glimpses of horror, though.

Peter and Max by Bill Willingham. It is about a grown up Peter Piper having to confront his brother Max, who has become a monster. The book is a spin-off of Willingham's Fables comic, which is about fairy tale characters living in modern day New York, though it is not necessary to read the comic before reading the book. The Big Bad Wolf, Bo Peep, Rose Red and Beauty & Beast so far make appearances in the book.

hightor

1  
Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:40 am
I think I liked Absalom, Absalom the best, maybe for its historical sweep. But the Modern Library "Snopes Trilogy" — The Hamlet, The Town, and The Mansion — is a damned good read, too.

Currently reading Thomas Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco.