What BOOK are you reading right now?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2019 01:52 pm
World Without End, Amen by Jimmy Breslin

NYPD officer having some issues, heads to Ireland. One of the few Breslin fictionals, he usually wrote non-fiction. Written and set in the early 1970s.

Here's the Kirkus review - www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/jimmy-breslin-4/world-without-end-amen-2/

Warning: the book has liberal usage of the offensive N-word
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 08:11 am
I would love to read your reviews of this newly published creation that I am in love with...It's called storybook: bedtime Tales for grave Snatchers with the pen name Tommy Richards...
And I had never read horror books before...
But this one is like watching a movie...
Tommy was just interviewed by Rick Bratton...so please let me know. Thanks
revbish

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 09:05 pm
@Eliusa,
The Reivers by William Faulkner
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 11:36 pm
Stephen King's The Institute. It's one of his better books.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:42 am
@roger,

i've got that one in the on deck circle.

currently working on Howard Stern Comes Again...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 05:34 am
"L'amica geniale" by Elena Ferrante. I'm at the end of tome 2, 2 more to go... It's a saga about two girl friends growing up in Napoli. The books have been a huge success in Europe and a TV series is being made out of them. There's some mystery about who the author is.

Yes it's chicklit, but it's good chicklit.
0 Replies

Rain-Able

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:15 am
@littlek,
Right now I'm reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This book is becoming my favorite.. lots of culture and plot twist.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 04:19 am
@Rain-Able,
The Kite Runner is on my wish list. Do tell if you liked it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 07:56 am
@Olivier5,
Currently reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang, four Nebula awards, four Hugo awards winning author. Contains the short story that was adapted into Arrival.

Previously read...
Charles Stross, The Nightmare Stacks (Laundry Files, #7)
Nina Stribbe. Man at the Helm
Rob Dircks, You're Going to Mars!
Aminder Dhaliwal, Woman World
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 09:43 am
Moving on to the third tome of "L'amica geniale" by Elena Ferrante.

Found this mildly interesting, if you cut through the posturing (James Joyce, really?):

WHAT THE 2020 DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES CALL THEIR FAVORITE BOOKS
https://bookriot.com/2019/10/09/2020-democratic-candidates-favorite-books/
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 06:31 pm
I finally finished The Way of Kings: Book 1 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.

After an exciting prologue, it started going slow until getting real good halfway through. I couldn't stop reading once I got to the last 200 pages, with the main characters getting involved with a major battle.

With that finished, I'm going for a more simple read. I'm currently reading Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall. It is about a young clairvoyant in 19th century France.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 02:52 pm
I'm rereading Sons and Lovers. I very much liked it in college. We'll see if my perspective has changed.
hightor

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 02:58 pm
"The Economist's Hour" by Binyamin Appelbaum

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 03:43 pm
@Roberta,
How's Lawrence holding up? In high school I recall being entranced by the prose in that book, the descriptions of the weather and the countryside. Somehow I don't think I'd find it nearly as captivating today. Have you read much Hardy?
Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 03:49 pm
@hightor,
The prose is captivating. I'm less entranced by the descriptions of the weather and countryside than I am with the depth and complexity of the characters.

So far I'm not disappointed. Some rereads have been a let-down. The book is the same, but I'm not.
hightor

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 03:25 am
@Roberta,
Essay on Lawrence HERE.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 02:09 pm
@hightor,
Thanks for the essay. I read most of it.

I was ultimately disappointed in the book. However, I can see why it appealed to me when I was younger. Now all the confused and contradictory emotions made me a little impatient. However, the passion and strong feelings are there, irrational though they may be.

The writing creates a brilliant picture of place. Not sorry I reread it. Age can restructure perception.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 10:40 pm
@Roberta,
December 1941 by Craig Shirley. The sub-title is, 31 days that changed America and saved the world. I'm curious about his period, because I was born during the middle of the Great Depression in 1935, and I was 6 years old when the war started. The US government put us Japanese Americans into concentration camps, and we were interred at Tule Lake in Northern CA for about three years. We lived in tar papered barracks with no paved roads, and you can imagine how we had to tread through mud during the winter months for meals and the toilets. In the late 1980's, the government sent us an apology and paid us $20,000 per person. No other country has ever apologized and paid reparations like the US. Even with this dark history, I'm glad to have been born in this country. Our grandfather escaped to Hawaii from Japan, because of the economic ruin of the country. The war years produced many movies about the war, and even one about the 442nd Infantry Battalion made up of Japanese Americans that was named, "Go For Broke." The biggest irony being, as we were couped up in concentration camps back home, the 442nd Infantry Battalion became the most decorated unit in US history. They fought in Europe, mostly in Italy, France and Germany. Many also served in the Pacific Theater as interpreters, translators, and spies for the allies. December 1941 should be interesting read for anyone interested in history for one month at the beginning of WWII.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 04:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The sub-title is, 31 days that changed America and saved the world.

Sounds terrible. It wasn't just America who fought the Nazis you know, there was a whole coalition. We had been fighting them for over two years before you got involved.

The biggest ground changer was the Soviet Union's entry into the war, if any one event could have 'saved the world' it was that.

The first two significant, (non naval,) defeats of axis forces Stalingrad and El Alamein didn't involve American troops at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2019 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, the US didn't want to get involved, but we were forced into it when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Even before then, the US was providing war machines to England and Russia under "lend-lease." From my readings, it seems the US was paid back by 2008.