What BOOK are you reading right now?

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 12:01 am
I just finished reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. This was the best book I've read in a very long time.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 03:14 pm
@Roberta,
...Amor Towles

In much the way that Dawn Powell captured me, Mr.Towles does the same. Sincerely hoping he has a long illustrious career.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 06:42 pm
@Sturgis,
Charged through Paper Girls Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 06:46 pm
still picking away at this

https://n4.sdlcdn.com/imgs/d/w/g/Turkish-Reflections-A-Biography-of-SDL373228284-1-38c30.jpg

I've read some potato chip books in between chapters
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 07:47 pm
I haven't read Arthur C Clark in quite a few years. I bought one he did in collaboration with Stephen Baxter. The Light of Other Days. Haven't started on it yet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 08:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now reading "Outposts" by Simon Winchester. Winchester is one of my favorite authors because he does his homework before he writes his books. In this book, it's about his goal to visit all the countries of the British Empire, to see for himself what effect his country has had on all the far away places around the world. His genius in finding transportation to out of the way places not served by public transportation is in of itself a fascinating story. I try to read a few pages every night being going to sleep.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
Alternating between Schlock-O-Rama: The Films of Al Adamson by David Konow and the audiobook of Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters.

The latter book is an alternative/speculative work of fiction where slavery exists in contemporary times and our black male protagonist works for the US Marshalls, hunting down escaped slaves to be returned to their respective owners.
proexceltech

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:23 pm
Hello,
I m reading 'Think and Grow Rich' Book by Napoleon Hill- promoted as a personal development and self-improvement book. Must read guyz!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 10:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Gave up on Schlock -o- Rama: The Films of Al Adamson and donated it to one of those free popup library boxes by the Prospect Park Q station stop alongside four volumes of Questionable Content webcomic collections.

Flown through the excellent Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters. Prior to that, Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three by Brian K. Vaughan. Got the final two deluxe edition volumes of that series... praise to Amazon.com. Now alternating between Vol. 4 of that series and Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman.
farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Biography of GRANT (book of the same name).
Its very long but interesting. Its a read that doesnt try to demolish the myths about Grant but lets you better understand the circumstances in which they began.
He would be considered an alcoholic today , a High performnce one, but one who enjoyed loong periods of abstemious behavior in which his greatest victories were realized , and these periods of abstention were punctuated by binges of blind drunk drinking from a friday through the following monday
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:41 pm
These Fiery Frenchified Dames, by Susan Branson.
(could not resist that title)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:44 pm
@farmerman,
I'm rereading Alan Furst's The Polish Officer. That I've read it some years ago is no matter since Furst can be a complicated story teller at the best of times, and I can always learn again. He's a favorite writer of mine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 02:54 pm
I got a copy of Go Set a Watchman, yesterday.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Since my previous posting:
Finished...
At the Mountains of Madness H.P. Lovecraft,: a short novel that catapults to my top horror read of all time.
And The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by British writer Mark Haddon.
Also...
Coraline by Neil Gaiman;
The Disaster Artist: My Life inside 'The Room', the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made By: Greg Sestero, Tom Bissell.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 08:41 am
@tsarstepan,
I read I Am Legend. There were three movies based on it. Vincent Price followed the book most closely. At least that's what memory tells me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 09:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I got a copy of Go Set a Watchman, yesterday.

I've just finished Go Set a Watchman, by Harper Lee. While I understand some people feel dismay to learn the original Atticus Finch was a racist, I have to say I was mesmerized by the whole story and will never regret reading it. She seems to consider the people of Maycomb a microcosm of the 50's south, overlooking lynchings and inflicting humiliations on the black folk as a matter of course, in other locales. Turns out, this book is most about Scout becoming her own person. It has been quite a few years since I last got so hooked on a book as to read nonstop until it was done.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 09:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Finished today:
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania By: Erik Larson

Rereading New and Selected Poems: Volume One by Mary Oliver.
Keeping a paperback copy of When It's A Jar: Tom Holt in my backpack to start in the near future.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Since my previous posting:
Finished...
At the Mountains of Madness H.P. Lovecraft,: a short novel that catapults to my top horror read of all time.
And The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by British writer Mark Haddon.
Also...
Coraline by Neil Gaiman;
The Disaster Artist: My Life inside 'The Room', the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made By: Greg Sestero, Tom Bissell.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

I think I read"The curious Incident of the Dog in the night time", did it involve a child with autism?
hightor

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 07:08 am
I'm reading Richard Sudhalter's Lost Chords, a long, well-documented history of white jazz musicians and their role in the development of the music up until about 1945. The books skirts various racial controversies and was severely attacked when it came out by musicians and historians alike who promote a more black-centered view of jazz and its origins. The book provides plenty of examples for the points which the author is making and it's easy to locate referenced tunes on YouTube. The music itself makes the point more effectively than the text.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 11:41 am
just finished

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1180302922l/1022331.jpg

now reading

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1180302919l/1022329.jpg

I heard most of the stories when they were first broadcast. Some of them are a national holiday tradition.

I found the ones that really killed me with laughter were the lesser known ones. Maybe because I can't anticipate the punchlines so easily.

I hurt myself laughing on Thursday night. I couldn't catch my breath and I thought I was going to have to send the dog for help. I've got a few more of the collections around, will have to dig them out and re-read them.
0 Replies