What BOOK are you reading right now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 07:51 pm
@farmerman,
I've been to the Serengeti because it's the premier game park in Africa. Your post on The Serengeti Rules caught my eye, and this is what I found:

www.goodreads.com › Science › Natural History
Goodreads
Rating: 4.1 - ‎24 votes
Start by marking “The Serengeti Rules: The Quest to Discover How Life Works and Why It Matters” as Want to Read: ... How does nature produce the right numbers of zebras and lions on the African savanna, or fish in the ocean? .

I'll check it out the next time go to the local library.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:08 am
@farmerman,
I have been to Serengeti too and read in connection with that a few books.
Laurens van der Post, Grzimek, Karen Blixen, Bror Blixen and Beryl Markham.

PS A rhino ran into our car, Scary.
Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 04:04 pm
I just finished A Noble Radiance by Donna Leon. I read it for my book group.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 04:21 pm
@Roberta,
I think I missed that one. I liked some of hers, but don't now remember the titles.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 03:02 am
@Roberta,
I am not so much for her, but my husband really liked her books.
Tried to get them in Italian for him as he would have preferred to read them in original language.
Turned out they are not or were not allowed to be published in Italian.
Too critical.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 03:12 am
@saab,
Serengti Rules is only developed with a glancing reference actually about the Serengeti. Its mostly about the web of life and the deeply intricate relationships among the living members of the web.
The Serengeti is merely a setting that explains how the table is set . Never been to the Serengeti. I have been to the origins of qanats flowing into Libya, the "Scarp" at the North
Nigeria, and the Makadigadi and Okavango in Botswana. At all places I was doing work so I didnt have much free time. Fascinating steamy sunrises and vast views of flat nothingness when all the steam is burnt off.
saab

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:42 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for explaining - so now I learned something again.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 01:17 pm
Aren't there folks that read specific genres? Example, memoirs, biographies, autobiographies, sci-fi, etc. So many books, and so little time, as a button from the now defunct Gotham book mart on W. 47th St. stated.

I recently discovered Charles Bukowski in Post Office. I think he has a cult following, of sorts, even in his death.
Miller

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:16 pm
@Foofie,
I love crime stories, spy stories, and books on mystical poetry.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:33 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I don't need to read further any vampire stuff

I hear you. Was a bit annoyed when I realized the book was about that, but then it's not really about that.

Reading La Violence et la Derision, by Albert Cossery. Quite funny so far.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:34 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Charles Bukowski

I used to be a big fan. Haven't read him for decades.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:48 am
@Olivier5,
True, re not really being about that.

I just picked up, again, That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana. I had stopped midway into Italo Calvino's fairly long Introduction, know the book may drive me crazy or at least get my goat - talk about complexity, and that's just the intro. In italian, Calvino and Weaver say he uses many dialects but especially Roman. No, naturally, in english.

Hmm, the translator from Italian to English is/was a very good one, William Weaver. Author, apparently famous as a writer for many reasons, is Carlo Emilio Gadda. The book's title in italiano is Quet pasticciaccio brutto de Merulana.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Interesting... I should try it. Remembering his minute description of a spawn of starlings in Mr Palomar.

Their flight is fascinating from afar but in the Trastevere, the starlings are hated with a particular passion, for that's where they go to sleep at night, in the trees along the river, during the 3 or 4 months they're in the region. And therefore that's where they ****. Profusely so... Tons of guano spread along the Tiber banks... It stinks to heavens high, literally.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:45 pm
@Olivier5,
I remember the trees, Sycamores I think, on the other side of the river. I've read that starlings (I think it was) tend to burrow in at roof lines and then can't always find their way out. Where did I read that? I don't remember. When are they there, Spring? I may remember guano..

Mr. Palomar, that was Calvino. I haven't read his books, alas. This book is by Gadda, it's just that the Introduction to it was several pages by Calvino, giving me a clue to the complexity of Gadda's writing. That, and what the translator said may be as far as I get with the book itself. Weaver (the translator) said italians call the book Il Pasticciccio for short. I take that to mean 'mess' in English, at least on this occasion. Pastiche.. Among Gadda's attributes are extreme interest in playing with words and meanings. Even if you don't read the book itself, Calvino's intro take on it (that was in '84) is pretty interesting, once I plowed through it. I don't know if that is online anywhere by itself. Maybe.
Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:03 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

I love crime stories, spy stories, and books on mystical poetry.

You read for pleasure. I read to give my brain a vicarious experience. Is that the same thing?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Charles Bukowski

I used to be a big fan. Haven't read him for decades.

He produced so much.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on him.
Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 02:12 am
I just pulled an old Sara Paretsky book off the shelf. Time for a reread. With my memory these days, everything is first run.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:24 am
@ossobuco,
There're here in automn. They tend to stay longer now due to the warming climate, i think.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01122/starlings_1122237b.jpg

Sorry i messed up who the author of the "Pasticcio" was. Never heard of Gadda. Will check him out.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:28 am
@Foofie,
With Henri Miller, one of the few US authors able to write convincing stories on sex.
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 03:38 am
@Olivier5,
finished Stephen Kings new collection of short storiesBAZAAR of BAD DREAMS