What BOOK are you reading right now?

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:49 am
@Linkat,
Was at the library and saw that Stephen King book you mentioned got it. But I also spied another called Above. It is about a teen being kidnapped and kept underground. Reminds me just slightly of Room that someone else mentioned here at one time and that I read. Different enough from Room to possibly be of additional interest for some one interested in the subject.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:50 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
The slope was only about 20 degrees so an avalanche probably never did it, and the mystery remains unsolved.

Big Foot?!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:51 am
@panzade,
Funny - at the very least it gets the teen girls to read more.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:39 am
Re-finished The Shipping News recently. <3 In the middle of The Incredible Lightness of Being by Kundera. I am a bit peeved that I can't read it as he wrote it. It gets sort of choppy and repetitive in places and I wonder if it's due to less- than- graceful translation.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:42 am
Involved in reading for school still. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down is well written and worth reading. Wine to Water is a "dude" book. I hate the writing. Reading a text book on language that is well worth the effort. Glad I picked it. George Orwell's 1946 essay on politics and the English language is scarily relevant.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 04:33 pm
Finished recently:
Robert Charles Wilson's alt history Paradise Burning
Kevin Powers poetry collection, Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting
Grahame Chaffee's short graphic novel, Good Dog

Reading now:
Billy Collins' Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems
Richard Stone's Death of a Black Haired Girl
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 01:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Interesting coincidence: just finished reading Robert Charles Wilson's 1994 novel Mysterium. Frankly, hadn't heard of Wilson before. I'm very favorably impressed. Reminds me somewhat of the best of Philip K. Dick.

Just finishing reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Cien anos de soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude in English.) Fantastic! (In more than just one sense.)
dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:43 am
@Lustig Andrei,
How goes it Andy?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:59 am
Good to see you bavk, Andy! Missed you.

I'm in the middle of Andrea Camilleri's The Potter's Field. I've read a lot of his books and still enjoy them but as a group they blend together in my brain. I read them for their setting, Sicily; the descriptions of the scenery; the descriptions of the wonderful meals; finally, the characterization of the usual Montalbano Mystery mainstays as well as the malfactors in the different books.
The stories are generally fine with me.

I see by the blurbs on the first page that critics call his writing 'tragicomedy'.

Andy, this Robert Charles Wilson sounds interesting.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:31 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

How goes it Andy?

It goes as well as can be expected under the circumstances, Deb. Thankee for asking.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:35 am
@ossobuco,
Hard to make a meaningful judgement based on just one book, Osso, but, yes, I was impressed by Wilson's book. It's science fiction with a different twist -- thoughtful considerations of theological issues side by side with quantum theory.

Apparently Wilson is a native Califrnian now living in British Columbia, Canada.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Andy, this Robert Charles Wilson sounds interesting.

If you're curious, the author mostly deals with science fiction. I especially like the first two novels of his Spin trilogy.

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Hard to make a meaningful judgement based on just one book, Osso, but, yes, I was impressed by Wilson's book. It's science fiction with a different twist -- thoughtful considerations of theological issues side by side with quantum theory.

Many of his characters are thoughtful and smart on many levels. Even the irritating ones. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 03:26 pm
The Glass Castle - nonfiction about kids growing up in a very poor crazy type family. Very enlightening about how some people live or barely get by.

Makes me feel very fortunate and dare I say --- normal --- also great to use to let the kids know how very fortunate they are to have you as a parent.
0 Replies

coreylane

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:16 pm
I am reading the fault in our stars, I have 60 pages to go or so and I really like it, but I don't know if I want to finish it, it's so sad Sad but I shall finish it tonight I'm sure ill b bawlin my eyes out
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:00 am
Quote:
Linkat said: The Glass Castle - nonfiction about kids growing up in a very poor crazy type family.

Sounds like my family..Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:07 am
Finished Ed Piskor's graphic novel Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker;
as well as the groundbreaking protographic novel, The Cage by Martin Vaughn-James.

Starting The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:56 am
I'm reading "The Last Viking" about Roald Amundsen.
I like this quote of his-
"I never read the references a man brings to me when he appies for a position with us in an exploring trip.
I can generally tell, after observing him closely and talking to him a while, if he will be equal to the strain, and I have never been mistaken.
It is important to get the right sort of men, for one weak man will disorganize the rest"- Roald Amundsen
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 10:27 am
I wonder what books Penny has been reading lately.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vjx7it.jpg
Here she was reading Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 08:44 am
I'm reading How We Do Harm by Otis Webb Brawley, M.D.

The reader has to get past Brawley's huge ego but this book is enlightening. It is about what doctors do wrong. One of Brawley's interesting pieces deals with the "wallet biopsy," which demonstrates that doctors are more attentive to the rich.

Brawley is a decade younger than I am, a Black male from Detroit, my hometown, with an interesting family background. He also attended Catholic schools, more by choice than by family persuasion. He credits an English teacher, a Jesuit priest, at the University of Detroit High School, with teaching him to be a critical thinker and credits the classical education he received and the reading he did then with his success in medicine. I loved that.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 04:32 pm
Just finishing The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich. Why has no one alerted me to this wonderful writer before this? Judging from the name, she's obviously of German descent. But the jacket blurb bio also says that she is a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe Indians. Whatever, she knows whereof she speaks in a story set in her native North Dakota.

Next on my list: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I
can't say I just discovered Marquez the way I just discovered Erdrich. I've been aware of Marquez for quite some years. But I just recently read One Hundred Years of Solitude and was absoluely awed by this writer's skill.
0 Replies