ehBeth wrote:
http://www.womitchell.ca/Black%20Bonspiel%20cover.JPG

not at all what I expected

enjoying it so far

the devil has just arrived in town
panzade

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 09:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Funnily enough, I know what bonspiel is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
That was just me talking about how I like him.

The book that got me was The Reawakening.
panzade

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
An extraordinary account of faith, hope, and undying courage,

Think about the odds of a brilliant writer escaping an extermination camp.
The Reawakening renews ones faith in humanity.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 09:35 pm
@panzade,
Yes.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I still call it my favorite book, when that question shows up. It's even funny in parts.

Time for me to reread it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 02:42 am

"Pure, White, and Deadly". The story of sugar in food, by John Yunkin.
chai2

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 09:03 am
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.

It's a sequel to The Shining. Little Danny Torrance is all grown up.

I went back and quickly read The Shining to get up to speed for this, and shortly into the book I realized I'd actually never read the book, just seen the movie. I knew the book and movie were different, but not this different.

Let me tell you something. NO ONE can describe a hangover the way Stephen King can, no one.

He did it in the Tommy Knockers, and in Doctor Sleep I got sent back to those mornings when death would have been preferable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 09:03 am
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.

It's a sequel to The Shining. Little Danny Torrance is all grown up.

I went back and quickly read The Shining to get up to speed for this, and shortly into the book I realized I'd actually never read the book, just seen the movie. I knew the book and movie were different, but not this different.

Let me tell you something. NO ONE can describe a hangover the way Stephen King can, no one.

He did it in the Tommy Knockers, and in Doctor Sleep I got sent back to those mornings when death would have been preferable, and I actually hoped I would die.
panzade

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 09:48 am
@McTag,
Heard an interview with him on NPR(National Public Radio).
Chilling!
chai2

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 10:33 am
@panzade,
Whenever I've heard him in an interview, I always thought he was a really nice guy.

He really understands kids well. Whenever they are characters in his books, he totally gets the emotions, both good and bad, they go through.
panzade

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 02:36 pm
@chai2,
I was replying to McTag's post chai, but as far as King....
I imagine a writer of his imagination would be sourcing from a child's world.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 07:55 pm
The most exquisite synchronicity:
Last week I wrote on this thread.
Quote:
On Memorial Day I saw a documentary on a paratrooper in the 82 Airborne during D-Day named James Megellas. I was so impressed with his story I ordered his book "All The Way To Berlin"

Well it arrived today and guess what! It was signed by the author!
The day before the 70th anniversary of D Day
You can't imagine how proud I am to own this book written and signed by a truly courageous man. He has been nominated for the Medal Of Honor. I hope he lives to see the day.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/James_Megellas_2009.jpg/640px-James_Megellas_2009.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 08:01 pm
Finished Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow;
Starting Mary Oliver and Dog Songs: Poems
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 07:29 am
@chai2,
Funny you mentioned this - my daughter wanted a book - that damn Fault in our Stars or whatever- you know the movie all the teen girls want to see - any way after reading this, I am walking through the book store and see a book by Stephen King JoyLand - I was going to get the one you mentioned - but saw this book and grabbed it - am reading it now.

Need to get the one you said above though.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 07:29 am
@Linkat,
Gave up reading Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire after finishing the poem.

Started the latest Robert Charles Wilson novel Burning Paradise.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:08 am
Am currently reading this one about a true incident in 1959-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/mountain-of-the-dead_zpse782fe15.jpg~original

Nine experienced hikers in the Ural mountains went missing in midwinter, and when search parties found their tent on a mountain slope they weren't in it, and there were knife cuts where they'd slashed their way out in a hurry.
Their bodies were found scattered around the area up to a mile away, some had no shoes or clothes and had died of cold, and others had fractured skulls and broken bones.
The slope was only about 20 degrees so an avalanche probably never did it, and the mystery remains unsolved.
panzade

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:09 am
@Linkat,
The latest New Yorker has a long article about the author of Fault ,John Green.He's a real phenomenon and the Young Adult category has been changed forever by young fans and social media.
Quote:
The book rose to #1 on the Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble bestseller lists in June 2011 shortly after its title was announced. Green promised that every pre-order would be hand-signed by him, requiring him to sign every copy of the first printing.

He proposed that the general public vote on the color Sharpie he would use to sign the books, resulting in him signing the 150,000 books with a variety of Sharpie colors, each in proportion to the amount of votes received for that color.

However, some people who ordered from international booksellers received unsigned copies because those bookstores, including Amazon UK, underestimated how many books they needed and ordered more after the signing was complete, but Green agreed to fix this problem, telling people with unsigned pre-orders to email him so they could be sent a signed bookplate.
Many fans submitted their book cover designs to various outlets including Tumblr and Twitter, tagging Green in these posts so he could see them.

BTW He needed physical therapy after signing all those books. No lie. Very Happy