What BOOK are you reading right now?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 07:36 am
@Setanta,
Describing 'a cheap shot' as hysteria is in itself hysterical.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 11:53 am
So you admit you took a cheap shot? You're making progress.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:39 pm
anyone reading anything?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
That's a response worthy of a ten year old.

You made a cheap shot by dismissing Lind's experiment without even discussing it. When challenged, you then claimed it was not far reaching enough to have any reasonable conclusions, despite the fact that it concluded that citrus fruits combat scurvy, which they do.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I've just read the first chapter of The Wrong Case by James Crumley. It's out of print so I had to order it online from a second hand bookshop. I'm enjoying it so far, but it's early days.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

anyone reading anything?

Yes, and Terry Pratchett is still on his game with Raising Steam. Steam engines and railroads have been invented, and is the nature of things in Discworld, the learning curve is short and not especially steep
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 01:39 pm
I'm reading a book set in Rome that annoys me no end. Usually I at least like the sense of visiting there if nothing else about a book, but this one may get the boot before I get to the end. It's kaleidoscopically mysterious while getting increasingly boring at the same time. I'll forbear from naming this one.
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 04:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You made a cheap shot by dismissing Lind's experiment without even discussing it.

I guess you can't even see how insanely delusional this is. How sad for you.
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 05:16 pm
@Setanta,
It's a pity Setanta is unaware that this is a literary thread and not one for him to use to satisfy his need to blurt ridiculous and meaningless assertions.

What a troll.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 05:19 pm
@spendius,
They both do it and it is not engaging.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 08:53 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

anyone reading anything?

I'm a slow reader. Barely on the half way point through Night Film.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 10:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm about to start

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/261393978812_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 06:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Sigh...

meantime, I just read an article on a favorite writer of another type (by far), Jo Nesbo.

I've only read two of his. Good mind, interesting man.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/apr/04/jo-nesbo-interview-scandinavia-take-things-for-granted-norway
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:53 am
A Woman in Berlin, 20 April - 22 June 1945, anonymous. Best book I read in years.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:18 am
I'm reading 'The Time Travellers Guide to Medieval England", gosh many cities and towns stunk terrible with no sewage system..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 12:53 pm
@Olivier5,
On your recommendation I'm trying to find it on Kindle offline.
wiki
Quote:
The book purports to detail the writer's experiences as a rape victim during the Red Army occupation of the city.

Two years after her death in 2003 the anonymous author was identified in the Süddeutsche Zeitung by Jens Bisky (a German literary editor) as Marta Hillers. Brisky said that Hillers was a journalist who worked on magazines and newspapers during the Nazi era, and who had also been a small-time propagandist for the Third Reich writing a navy recruiting brochure, but that she was probably not a member of the Nazi Party

A movie was made from this book in 2008 but I haven't seen it.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm
@panzade,
Everybody boils the book down to the red army rapes but that is so reductive... There is much more in that marvel of a diary than just that. It's a little miracle born in hell.
panzade

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 01:35 pm
Amazon is so amazing.
I found O's book in paperback for 11 cents.
Then I bought me some Primo Levi and Homage to Catalan by Orwell.
In total. 5 books.
$23.95...expect delivery in 2 weeks.
Amazing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:31 pm
Currently Steve Krug's latest edition of 'Don't Make Me Think'

Reminds me of the bible, people swear by it but disregard it in their daily actions once they put it down.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 01:24 am
Just picked up "The Samurai", a 'new history of the warrior elite'.

"Take arrows in your front, never in your back"- Samurai doctrine