What BOOK are you reading right now?

BillW

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 06:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
too old, new things just don't happen well....
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 08:16 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The Year of the Hare : a novel by Arto Paasilinna [translated from the Finnish by Herbert Lomas]

After his car hits a bunny, which ultimately survives, a man decides to quit his job, leave his wife, sell his possessions and spend a year wandering around the countryside of Finland--with the rabbit as his only companion.

Salut, Andy ;-)
dlowan

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:34 am
@Debacle,
A perfectly reasonable course of action.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:02 am
Currently reading "The Famine Plot", very unsettling, hoping its an exaggeration.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 07:56 am
@dlowan,
It's no passing strange you'd hop to that conclusion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:02 am
http://www.georgedimitrisawa.com/images/EMAPB1web.jpg

I'm cramming for a musicality workshop with Dr. Sawa later today - part of our Belly Dance boot camp.
Debacle

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 01:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Let 'er all hangout!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 09:17 am
The new Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child; A Wanted Man.

I'm almost certain that Child is writing the first 6 chapters and then subcontracting the rest of the book out to a an English class at the local community college.

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333623254l/13359067.jpg
Debacle

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 08:45 pm
@panzade,
Lee Childs and Jack Reacher have finally been discovered and made a bit of a splash. I've read the books over the years as and when they appeared. Mainly they're fun reads purely for escapism.

The same holds for Michael Connelly's books. Similar plots, different dustcovers.
panzade

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 04:45 am
@Debacle,
'tis true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:20 am
About his new book:

Hello. I’m Sam Halpern.

You know me from the internet thing.

Have a kid who tells the truth and you’ll never die in peace.

I made my living in medicine, but for about forty years I’ve worked on a novel I call A Far Piece to Canaan. I don’t write for money. I write because I like writing. I’m retired and I have a wife, a dog, a house, and an inside john. I’m all set.

HarperCollins though, they do care about money, so if you want to read my book, you’ll have to buy it. But if you’re looking for more **** My Dad Says, don’t buy it. I don’t want you feeling like you got ripped off. There are enough people in the world looking to screw you; I’d rather not be added to that list.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:56 pm
@panzade,
I really enjoy the Reacher novels. Each a quick and satisfying read.

I also have enjoyed just about every movie in which Tom Cruise has starred and don't care one whit about whether he is a weird Scientologist, but the decision to cast him as Jack Reacher was incredibly bad.

The movie wasn't all bad but if you've read the novels the dissonance between Cruise and the fictional Reacher couldn't be ignored.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 09:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
i just read the glass castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir. I had no intention of reading anything but my daughter had left it around and I was sitting on the couch while my wife had some crappola TV on...the book was next to me..........

a very interesting account of growing up dirt poor in West Virginia in the early 70's with very educated parents who would be considered today to be abusive unfit parents.

Quote:
Jeannette was molested by a neighborhood pervert. Later, when her parents resolved to throw themselves on the slim mercies of Rex's family, they moved to West Virginia -- to a vile hamlet along a river distinguished by having, her father proclaimed, ''the highest level of fecal bacteria of any river in North America'' -- where Jeannette was groped by an uncle. A visit to the zoo ended when Rex and his daughter reached inside the cheetah's cage to pet the giant cat, while a family holiday erupted in flames as prankish Dad set the Christmas tree ablaze with his cigarette lighter.

Along the way, the children enjoyed a characteristically idiosyncratic version of home schooling. Their mother taught them reading and the health advantages of drinking unpurified ditch water, while their father explained ''how we should never eat the liver of a polar bear because all the vitamin A in it could kill us. He showed us how to aim and fire his pistol, how to shoot Mom's bow and arrows, and how to throw a knife by the blade so that it landed in the middle of a target with a satisfying thwock.'' Walls recalls that ''by the time I was 4, I was pretty good with Dad's pistol, a big black six-shot revolver, and could hit five out of six beer bottles at 30 paces. . . . It was fun. Dad said my sharpshooting would come in handy if the feds ever surrounded us.'' Surely it suggests something about our educational system that whenever the Walls children did attend school they turned out to be academically ahead of the local kids, who tormented them for their outsider oddness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/books/review/013COVERPROSE.html?_r=0
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 09:12 pm
Currently reading three books:

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914

Early into this one but it gives lie to the claim that an anarchist assassin started WWI and reveals a lot about the Serbian national character that re-emerged in the regional conflicts in the 90's.

It also appears to suggest that something other than war profiteering by the munitions manufacturers of the time led to the Great War.

The Orphan Master's Son.

How the horrors of living in North Korea are not more an issue of concern is, I would suggest, quite telling.

The world is essentially ignoring the nightmarish conditions of millions.

A Red Sun Also Rises

Should take about four days to finish...I'm on day two...travelling.

Entertaining and perhaps intellectually engaging but that remains to be seen.

Sucker for Alternate Victorian tales.

Debacle

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 09:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Alternate Victorian tales? Have you read any of David Liss, such as A Conspiracy of Paper, The Coffee Trader, etc.?

They're quite readable.
Debacle

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 09:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Tom Cruise is rather height-challenged to be playing Jack Reacher. Someone like the earlier Nick Nolte would be a better match, as long as he didn't botch the script.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:17 pm
I'm reading the earlier versions of Hamlet (Saxo Grammaticus and Belleforest) as well as critical commentary on Hamlet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:48 pm
@Debacle,
I read from Goodwill. Books vary; I sail by heavy on romance..
But there is other stuff, stuffed inbetween, thus my reading The Honorable Schoolboy by Le Carre/Campbell.

I've read many Le Carre's and this one close to halted me.
Boring to the enth degree.

Which sort of makes me like him, he's not a plot plumper for sparks.
panzade

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 06:56 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I've read many Le Carre's and this one close to halted me.
Boring to the enth degree.

It was a difficult book to follow. There were about seven plots interwoven.
I had to read a wiki synopsis to get the whole picture.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 06:59 am
@Debacle,
Quote:
Someone like the earlier Nick Nolte would be a better match,

That is sooo weird! I envisioned Nolte from "Who'll Stop The Rain" era.
I kinda think Lee Child lost his say in who would play Reacher.