What BOOK are you reading right now?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 05:09 pm
@roger,
I agree, rog'. His cowboys all sound like wise-cracking private eyes.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't suppose anyone got 'Rebecoming the greatness we never weren't'?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 09:11 am
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-imXYpwQhRdk/TiySAiYaSZI/AAAAAAAAJH0/d8C2Y0z9RpA/s320/Started-Early-Took-My-Dog-by-Kate-Atkinson.jpg

Kate Atkinson is one of the best writers out there today. Her narrations, characters, and observations are wonderful. It may be surprising that she is writing detective fiction. I am reading another in her series about private investigator Jackson Brodie. BBC has turned her novels into television dramas. I hope they will be shown on PBS.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 10:28 am
@wandeljw,
Thorstein Veblen's Absentee Ownership(3rd time).

Right up your street wande.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 10:38 am
The Brain Thief by Alexander Jablokov
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
"Chase A Rocket Plane" By Bob Brodsky, a friend. It's autobiographical and tells about his experiences since he was a young kid, and growing up, getting into a lot of mischief, and becoming a Rocket Scientist.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:14 am
@wandeljw,
the bbc adaptations (first 3 novels) are quite enjoyable, just re-watched them the other night

really looking forward to more
0 Replies

Simplexity

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 04:36 am
@littlek,
after the explosive antics of mathew reilly's "temple". i'm winding down with the blunt, lawyer talk of "the rainmaker" by josh grisham. dialogue feels old timey, as opposed to lawyer banter. good book so far.
spendius

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 09:49 am
@Simplexity,
Romance & Legend of Chivalry by A.R. Hope Moncrieff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:55 am
streetcar reading

http://bks2.books.google.ca/books?id=_sArGIckh1oC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE72Ohywlx4-bvKhtTfjfuEATIEIKmCMo_B98ntJNmNR6R1RPu4hYsbviwt8lFRHvAiCPr2wHPFA_cAgshVvA0NGCY9FJPsuT6mU45Y0O3gA5QnPuKcqOdw6OEOSKFs-vyfe0kuNr

Quote:
In her study of the married couple as the smallest political unit, Phyllis Rose uses as examples the marriages of five Victorian writers who wrote about their own lives with unusual candor.
mmm yeah not as readable as some of the reviews suggest
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 08:07 pm
"Touched with Fire" by James M. Perry. I started it nearly two years ago, but misplaced it during the move....but re-found it, and now going to finish it.

It's about the five presidents that fought in the Civil War....Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Harrison, McKinley. There is a great deal of spit on the pages of the Grant section, but I have no idea how that got there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 08:15 pm
@ehBeth,
That is one of my liked books.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:46 am
I was reading this article about the way Kurt Vonnegut (r.i.p) once asked his students to review some stories:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2012/11/kurt_vonnegut_term_paper_assignment_from_the_iowa_writers_workshop.html

and I thought,
"Holy cow, for the most part, that is exactly how the folks on A2K review the books they are reading."

and, as I am so often, I was reminded of how valuable this site and you all are.

Joe(ok, fricking group hug, right?)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:55 am
@ossobuco,
Really?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:56 am
@Joe Nation,
I really liked ...

Quote:
Do not bubble. Do not spin your wheels. Use words I know.

can I get a kiss with my hug?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Ah, Vonnegut! Such a treat to wake up, sip my coffee, and read that piece.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 05:45 am
http://www.chrismcdougall.com/images/cover_pb.jpg
Recommended to me by my son Nigel.
He also recommended those thin shoes with toes, but that ain't gonna happen.
spendius

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 05:55 am
@George,
Roget's Thesaurus looking for witty Spoonerisms.
0 Replies

shogg0th

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 06:55 pm
Osamu Tezuka's Ayako!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 07:16 pm
@shogg0th,
I'm starting to reread a book CI said he just bought about the Medici. I remember being irritated in the beginning and am again. He sets up Cosimo in the tower and leaves him while he describes the bricks of Firenze.

It is Christopher Hibbert's The House of Medici, its rise and fall.

I've read him before, about Rome, and this one a bunch of years ago. My memory is like a sieve, as they say, but sometimes pinpointing. Anyway, I remember his books as data that helped me figure stuff out, but not books I somehow liked.

I've read a lot of all this elsewhere, long before I read Hibbert, but I'll read this for now (as in, I don't have a handy novel nearby).