What BOOK are you reading right now?

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 02:46 am
@the prince,
Eugenides'"The Marriage Plot".....loving it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 05:25 am
"Une million de prisonniers allemands en France" - polishes my French and gives me a better idea about my father's time there.
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 06:37 am
Salman Rushdie The Satanic Verses

0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:39 pm
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:04 pm
@the prince,
the prince wrote:

Shadow of the Wind is one of the best books I have read in my life.

I agree. I have not encountered such vivid characters and settings since reading James Joyce's The Dubliners.
0 Replies

calvinmark

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:51 am
Ya i am loving to read books. Because books us lot of knowledge. Right now i am reading "Kite runner". This is good book you should read this.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 06:06 am
@calvinmark,
Just finished Sam Leith's 2011 debut sci-fi-ish novel, The Coincidence Engine. For a Brit, most of the book takes place in the US yet he hits it off right. Funny, weird, and quite touching. Even the baddies are likable in a thoughtful sense.
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 10:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Sounds fun, Tsar. One reviewer described it as "Philip K. Dick meets Evelyn Waugh" lol.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:07 am
@Irishk,
Just finished a book called "Room" by Emma Donoghue. About a young woman kidnapped, held prisoner and abused by an older man. It's told from the point of view of the 5 year old child she has while imprisoned for 7 years.

I don't read a lot of fiction but this was brilliant. I want to read some of her other stuff now.
Aldistar

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:18 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Robinson Crusoe. It started out pretty good, but now I am near the end and it is getting harder to ignore the preachy parts.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:22 pm
http://thelesseroftwoequals.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/i_am_america.jpg

given the events in the current U.S. election it is disturbingly unfunny
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 04:27 pm
Resolutionby Robert B. Parker, sequel to Appaloosa.

We are not amused. Appaloosa was OK, but I think it was a mistake to make series characters out of those two hapless gunfighters. (There's a third book, too, I understand.)
Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:47 am
@Aldistar,
What do you mean by preachy Aldistar?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:58 am
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JUjahSwpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Well, I'm still reading, half way through, but it's a book I have no trouble at all putting down.
I remember the early tv series, and remember, vaguely, that I liked it. All this time later I don't find the character that funny, charming, real, dry, or much of the other adjectives in the amazon reviews by enthralled readers. I'll grant he's a character all right.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:29 am
@Dorothy Parker,
I had never read it and understood it to be about his being marooned on a desert island and his subsequent survival and deliverence. I did not realize until about halfway through that it was also about his spiritual deliverence as well. By the last quarter of the book it was 99% preaching the gospel of Jesus and about 1% of story. The adventure story was great, I just didn't need the sunday school lesson. Nothing against stories like that, I just wasn't expecting it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 01:37 pm
I can't keep up = I have a list that I've written several from here and also other places. I like all sorts of books so it is helpful seeing some mentioned here with a little background on what the book entails.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 01:50 pm
Adds to my post - I may be forced to try again to get into my third Henry James book. The resistant book is The Ambassadors. It'll be a cold day in July in Albuquerque..

I get it, from reading many books of past years, that one can sail on in the book after engaging. Sometimes I'm recalcitrant.

Between Mortimer and James, I'll try again on James. In the meantime, I'll see if reading to the end of this Mortimer will change my view.
0 Replies

roammer

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:14 pm
@littlek,
"selfish Gene" by dawkins.
Tnx.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
One thing I notice about all Parker's books in hardcover is that they are really short stories. The margins are just a little larger than usual, and so is the font. I mean, good short stories, but short stories. His western series is not up to the rest of his work.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:19 pm
I'm replacing Rompole in my mind, sort of squishy when it didn't plain annoy me, leaving me wanting to throw a book, with Sebastian Junger, author I just learned of and now respect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Junger

I got very caught up in Death in Belmont and even learned some things.
0 Replies