What BOOK are you reading right now?

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:25 am
@djjd62,
Someone gave it to me and to my surprise I hadn't read it before.
I think I appreciate it a lot more now that I'm older and the USSR has been dissolved.
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:29 am
@panzade,
i picked up Gulag - A History by Anne Applebaum, a couple of years ago, it's one of those books i tend to read a chapter every now and then, maybe i'll stick it through to the end and then compare it to the other
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:31 am
@panzade,
I'm reading The World Of Harlequin by Allardyce Nicoll, an out of print academic book about the Commedia dell'Arte. I'm really enjoying it.
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/052/The-World-of-Harlequin-9780521291323.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:31 am
@djjd62,
http://www.anneapplebaum.com/gulag-a-history/

http://www.siteground206.com/~anneappl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/gulag1.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:39 am
@djjd62,
A little light reading DJ?

Last night, I finished reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaimen. In a half hour I'll be heading to the library to pick up my reserved copy of Nathan Englander's What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:13 pm
@djjd62,
Thankee
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:21 pm
@panzade,
I remember that one. Just checked, I see I read it in the early seventies, which feels about right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Aha! That sounds interesting, Izz.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Replying to self - my torpor about reading books where expatriates fix up houses in italy or spain is from an excess of reading such over the years before I read the tuscan sun book, dealing with the workers, blah blah.

Thinking about this, my favorite one was actually a wine book, that is, it was named Chianti for a reason. Raymond Flower, credited for good or ill as starting the whole Chiantishire stuff, wrote a book with a fair amount of data about the history of wine, lots of talk about his abode near Panzano, and woven through it a thicket of information about the long history of the chianti region. Some of the best explanations I'd read at that point.

I still have that, I could do a reread and see if I still like it. I could restraighten myself out about the guelphs and the ghibelline entanglements.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
It is, I've been looking for something like it for a long time.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
I won't spoil it, just finished reading to him, if you need to borrow it just let me know Wink
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I won't spoil it, just finished reading to him, if you need to borrow it just let me know Wink

Spoiler Alert: The carrot did it.
jcboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:49 pm
@chai2,
I had to edit out some of the carrot content if you know what I mean Cool Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 07:13 pm
http://janeaustensworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/jane-goes-batty.jpg

Jane Austen as a vampire.
Interesting concept.
Nice light reading in the Wicked vein.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:50 pm
@littlek,
I am reading back issues of The New York Review of Books and The Letters of Samuel Beckett, Volume I: 1929–1940.-Ron Price, Tasmania
---------------------------------------------
MORE ABOUT SAMUEL BECKETT

At the beginning of the Five Year Plan(1937-1944) of the North American Baha’i community, a Plan I am confident that the Irish novelist and playwright Samuel Beckett(1906-1989) knew nothing about---but one whose extension into a series of Plans I have been associated with now for nearly 60 years--- Beckett wrote a letter to the publisher Axel Kaun.

This letter was, wrote another Irish novelist John Banville(1946- ), “one of the most significant and revealing Beckett ever wrote.”1-Ron Price with thanks to 1John Banville, “Beckett: Storming for Beauty,” The New York Review of Books, 22 March 2012.

Was your goal in ’37 in Ireland some
abstract literature, dissolving word’s
surfaces, dealing as you tried to do
with your depression, psycho-somatic
problems, your book and your mother.2

Words are not like music, nor are they
like painting. They rub-up against actual
things and, if they lose their meaning, all
one has is noise. One must struggle with
the faintest pinpricks of light, & darkness
when one communes with oneself, & the
world as one looks for meaning—you did.

You were hospitable, but you had not any
sustaining metaphysics. You were serious,
evoked a complex psychological reality, a
sense of futility and despair as well as an
endless waiting and we too, Samuel, wait.3

1 See, The NYRB above and The Letters of Samuel Beckett, Volume I: 1929–1940 (Cambridge University Press, 2009), pp. 512–520. The freedom and directness, unique in the letters published so far, that Beckett allowed himself in addressing Kaun, may in part be accounted for by the fact that the letter is written in German, a language that Beckett knew well but in which he was not entirely fluent….Beckett was one of the greatest letter writers.
2 Samuel Beckett, Wikipedia.
3 Tim Parks, “Beckett: Still Stirring,” The New York Review of Books, 13 July 2006.; and “Samuel Beckett, infoplease.
Ron Price
8 March 2012
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 05:28 pm
Re-reading (for the second or third time now) Fred Pohl's Gateway, one of the finest sf novels ever written. It was published back in 1977 and hasn't aged out at all over the years.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm reading the same one I was last reading. It's taking me forever to get through it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 11:20 pm
Just started Vernor Vinge's 'Rainbows End' while getting to the end of James Gleick's 'The Information: a history, a theory, a flood' . They are bleeding into each other in my mash potato mind.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 11:32 pm
@hingehead,
I'm reading the same eternally boring book. Only about fifty pages to go.
Frances Mayes, something like book 6.
I could not recommend it less.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 11:33 pm
"Mysterious Island" by Jules Vern. Enjoying it so far, I remember watching the old technicolor movie and loving it.
0 Replies