What BOOK are you reading right now?

chai2

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Really - to be honest I used to be addictive to it. I had to have a coke each day. One day I went cold turkey. Not that I was overweight, but I lost 5 pounds or more when I quit. And now - I rarely drink the stuff - it seems way too sweet.

It's actually a very interesting book. Coke is fully aware they don't taste any better or worse than other sodas. It's all about branding.

A lot of dirty politics, back room deals, not playing fair etc etc.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Antonio is out of the tub and has his PJ’s on. On my way home from work I picked up a book called Bink and Gollie. The sales girl tried to tell me it was for girls, yeah like boys can't enjoy it too.

http://www.binkandgollie.com/

Quote:
1. Fred is a fish
2. Fred is an extraordinary fish
3. Fred has many longings
4. Fred is a marvelous companion but
5. Fred is not the most marvelous companion.

With that in mind. I'd like to get to know this Fred. Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:12 pm
finished A Game of Thrones a while back, now reading A Clash of Kings, listening to The Magician King and reading some comic books, the Flashpoint series, some of the new DC launch and the Death of Spiderman arc

as an aside, i'm trying once again to read some Orson Scott Card, i listened to Lost Boys a few years back and kind of enjoyed it, but for the most part i can't get into his writing, i'm struggling through The Folk of the Fringe
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm reading Badjelly the Witch to my little boy.
jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Nice! Smile
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 03:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
hehe yes but now he wants a fish Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:01 pm
@chai2,
On Coke and Pepsi, Malcolm Gladwell went into all that in Blink - a book I liked after I got over his self promo moves at the beginning. I'm not even sure he's self promotional so much as always on.

I think Blink is worth a read.
Pemerson

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 11:09 am
@ossobuco,
I'm still plowing through McCullough's The Greater Journey (Americans in Paris). I love it but need a break. The book is so heavy, tires my arms. You would like all the great detail involving art.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:22 pm
@Pemerson,
Snort, when my wrists went bad, I think it was from reading heavy books in bed.
(They're better, but still woopy)

Of course, I still read books in bed. They might have to house me in a jacket if I couldn't do that. That was part of my panic on a2k re my old eye surgery threads. I am a book addict at large.

I have to add I'm reading a book I like.

I know this is a surprise after my last diatribes. Roger gave me this, besides the two books I bombed.
Nelson de Mille's By the Rivers of Babylon

This reminds me of books I was involved with, engaged, forming opinions, decades ago.

But this is better written.
At this point, I'm not just a fluff ready to buy all of the underlying premise (far as I've read). But it is good writing, per me, and very worth a read.

The opposite of the last two books I was whining about.

Me no catchy stupid writing.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Kind of hate to put that Nelson de Mille book in the Goodwill box, but better someone else enjoy it; it was really engrossing all the way through.

Am presently about two thirds through The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields, which I'm liking a great deal. Something of a keeper, at least for a while.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
The Lake House by James Patterson! Wouldnt it be cool to be half bird/half human
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 07:17 pm
Pilgrrim, by Timothy Findley. Bizarre book. I can't say if i'm enjoying it or not. I'm mostly reading it because a book has to be really, really bad for me to give it up without finishing it.
verbivore

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 02:32 am
@Setanta,
Immortals of Meluha -a strange concept of depicting Shiva (God of Hindu mythology) as an ordinary man and the ordeals he undergoes..interesting i would say
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:34 pm
@GracieGirl,
I must have read that one - is it about the kids that are half bird and half human that break away from the government experimental place or some such thing?
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
Ok. Have spent the last 45 minutes going back through this thread to find the person who spoke highly of Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers. I wanted to grovel at their feet in thanksgiving. I can't find that person. Whoever you are, I will be forever grateful. It is one of the finest books I have ever had the pleasure to read.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 03:43 pm
Embassytown by China Mieville

Very much like this author.

I'm only a couple of chapters into it, but it hasn't engaged me yet.
djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 04:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
looking forward to reading it, i really liked Un Lun Dun and his book of short stories, quite enjoyed The City & The City as well

have the New Coruzon series but haven't read them yet
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 04:18 pm
Finally reading Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea.

Still in the mountain-climbing part. Figuring out that he's one stubborn bugger.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
I've just reread a thriller/police procedural set in Chicago. Since it was a reread, I could predict most of what would happen - but like books not only for their plotting but the general scene. In this case, the story is preposterous to start with, so there ya go. But, given that, I still generally liked Holton's writing.

I'm in the midst of book giveaways, and I'd read that one ten years ago. Ok, out the door -

Violent Crimes, by Hugh Holton
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 04:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Finally reading Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea.

Still in the mountain-climbing part. Figuring out that he's one stubborn bugger.

You are still going to read it despite the controversy regarding the possibility the author may have fabricated many of the books claims Beth?