What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 06:17 pm
I finished Art of Racing in the Rain. I'm in book love. This is one I'll reread.
Mattered to me on a lot of levels, plus the author has wit.
0 Replies

GEdisson

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 09:00 pm
@littlek,
I'm reading "Miss Garrote" by Victoria Newhope. It's about a spy girl who was trained according to ninja system from the day of her birth, rat ways (a system of underground tunnels dug under Europe), a clan of the Untouchables, the descendants of Templars, and many other cool things. Very interesting book. I found this book at amazon, read first few chapters and was hooked, so I had to read a whole book. Smile
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 01:44 pm
Is reading Micromotives and Macrobehavior. This is an old book, but man is it ever worth a read. A little bit of brain food, but you don't really have to read it for that as it is enlightening on a much broader scope. Good read.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 01:48 pm
I'm reading Sun Tzu's Art of War.
It's, um, enlightening.
Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:38 pm
@hamilton,
Interesting. I read it two weeks ago, and thought it amounted to fortune cookies for generals. I don't see what all that hype around Sun Tsu is about.
hamilton

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 11:33 am
@Thomas,
well, my copy had interpretations by these people for each verse, and they took it apart pretty well.
the only thing that is hard for me to understand is all that stuff about heaven and earth affecting us.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 01:37 pm
@hamilton,
Heaven is when you get shot by a plane. Eath is when you step on a mine.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:18 pm
Quote:
What BOOK are you reading right now?

InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives by Joe Ehrmann (with Paula Ehrmann and Gregory Jordan)

Even though I'm not a sports fan, I purchased a personalized copy of this book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:32 pm
I'm still just enjoying my (finished) reading of Art of Racing in the Rain.
That one hit me in the pulse. Bothered me in some bits, but I took them as working in the story.

But as I said in an earlier post, this too was an orchestrated book - books just are.
So what was my gripe about the orchestration, contrivance, of Sarah's Key?
One, Sarah's Key, finally offended me, and the other didn't at all, I thought it was wise. All I can say from here is that I thought Sarah's Key was 'using', and Art of Racing wasn't, it was developing.

I may change my tune, but that's my present take.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:32 pm
A Cinderella Affidavit

it's set in bahstin
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 02:42 pm
@Rockhead,
I just started "Oreo" by Fran Ross.

It's about a goil who has a black mother and jewish father. Set in the 1940/50's

Ms. Ross was way ahead of her time in writing this book. She's amazing.

Besides the story line, very clever word play.

Talks about a town having a "tri-quarterly" fish fry. (once a month)

Orea makes her motto...Nemo me impune lacessit, no one attaks me with impunity.

She says "Ain't no nigger gon tell me what to do. I'll give him such a klop in the kishkas!"
StinkyPete

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 03:16 pm
@chai2,
You racists too? You down with the Klan?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:48 pm
@Rockhead,
http://ninoricci.com/wp2009/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Solo.jpg

another great anthology

I'm particularly taken with Nino Ricci's contribution. Will be looking for his books.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:07 pm
@StinkyPete,
StinkyPete wrote:

You racists too? You down with the Klan?

Besides being obnoxious, you're quite stupid as well, aren't you, Pete?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:33 pm
I started to read the first Inspector Van Veeteren novel, Mind's Eye. Got to page 100. A very good read so far.

Went to donate blood at a blood drive after work at Union Square. Needless to say I lost the book sometime then. No good deed goes unpunished. (sigh)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:39 pm
started reading A Game of Thrones on vacation, liking it more than i thought i would
Questioner

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:19 pm
Just finished re-reading 1984 because my month wasn't depressing enough already. Went on to some lighter hack fiction by Simon Green. Entertaining.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 11:35 pm
@djjd62,
You'll love it
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 11:38 pm
Reading "Flashback" by Dan Simmons.

I urge all my friends who are supporters of Obama to read it.

Keep in mind when you do, that he wrote this book more than a year ago. If Obama's brilliant plans proved successful, Simmons would have looked like a dated idiot. Instead he looks like a prophet.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:53 am
Decided to re-read some of Raymond Chandler's marvelous detective yarns from the 1940s. Just read for the umpteenth time The Long Goodbye. Just started on Farewell, my Lovely again. The man was a wonderful writer. Oh, not for the plots; they're boilerplate hard-boiled detective stories. But this is a writer of the first quality. I read him word-for-word and savour his sentences.

Chandler and Dashiel Hammet invented the American detective story (as opposed to the formal murder mystery which, of course, is a British creation [except that they stole the idea from E.A. Poe, an American Twisted Evil ]) Thank goodness the local public library is just a five-minute walk from where I'm living. I'll probably take out another Chandler just as soon as I've finished this one.
0 Replies