What BOOK are you reading right now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 08:00 pm
I just got myself a Kindle, because my roommate and several others had it on the cruise I was on last week.

I need some suggestions on what to include as my first reads. Anybody?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:58 am
Last week, I started to read the David Sedaris' short book of short animal stories, Chipmunk Seeks Squirrel for my commute to and from work.

While at work, I am going a different route with the audiomemoir from Sarah Silverman, the pottiest of potty mouth comediennes, withThe Bedwetter.
George

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:25 am
Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual
by Philip Matyszak

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:52 am
@George,
http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/0293-1/%7BADBB5957-D9AD-49FB-A261-4DE9BE67BC83%7DImg100.jpg
djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:55 am
@ehBeth,
i didn't like Son of aWitch quite as much as i enjoyed Wicked, but still a good read (or listen in my case)

i liked it more that the next book A Lion Among men
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:04 am
@djjd62,
I had a horrible time with Wicked. It was all I could do to finish it after a couple of months (and finishing a stack of books in the meantime). Son of a Witch is going much better.

A colleague is a huge Maguire fan so has the full collection - is loaning them to me and Set to read. Lost is next on my list. So far, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is still my favourite of the group.
djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:12 am
@ehBeth,
i haven't read any of the others, i do have a digital copy of What The Dickens i want to read someday soon
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:44 am
@djjd62,
I wish Set would comment here on the Maguire books. He kept saying that the first one he read was bizarre - then kept on reading the books as they came into the house Very Happy
panzade

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:23 pm
Quote:
Lee Child has been hailed as the writer to rival Ian Fleming. He is British, but his hero has been compared to James Bond, in an updated American version, and in the criminal world, not the world of espionage

His books are spare, and pacey. Plots good, plenty of imagination and excitement. Morality with violence. Quirky, anarchic.

McTag reviewing my addiction of the moment: Jack Reacher series. He wrote that on another thread.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Finished Sarah Silverman's audiomemoir. Read by hers truly. It was quite funny and a good look into understanding the mind and mindset of a standup comedian who will be working the comedy circuit until her 70's if not longer.

I have three library audiobooks waiting for me and my workday tomorrow.
Revisionist fiction:
Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policemen's Union;

Vietnam War memoir:
Tracy Kidder, My Detachment;

Western fiction:
Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses.

I only will listen to one audiobook at a time. Which one shall I start listening to this Wednesday morning?
Aldistar

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I have read almost all of those books and enjoyed them all for the most part. I enjoyed "Wicked" very much, "Son of a Witch" not as much and "Lion Among Men" was pretty good (better than Son of a Witch but not as good as Wicked).

Confessions of an Ugly Step-sister is my favorite, very good.

Mirror, Mirror was a bit disappointing.

0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 05:18 pm
Right now I am reading:
The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire - by Jack Weatherford

Very interesting!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 03:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Michael Chabon.
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 03:59 am
The Slap, written by Melbourne author, Christos Tsiolkas.
Compulsive reading, I'm ripping through it at quite a pace.
There is far more depth to the novel than the (quoted) plot description below suggests.
It is as much about contemporary Australian society, a study of different attitudes, from the points of view of the various characters..

Quote:
The Slap is a multi award-winning novel by Australian author Christos Tsiolkas.

Plot summary:
At a barbecue attended by a group of family and friends, an adult slaps an unrelated young child. The child is three year old Hugo who has been misbehaving throughout the barbecue with no restraint from his parents, "the steely-eyed Rosie and the wimpish Gary".[1] The adult is Harry, cousin of the barbecue host and adulterous businessman, and whose slightly older son, Rocco, is being threatened by Hugo. This event sends the large cast of characters "into a spiral, agonising and arguing over the notion that striking a child can ever be justified. Some believe a naughty boy should be taught some discipline, others maintain the police ought to be brought in to investigate a common assault"[1] with a range of positions in between. ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slap

Video of ABC book program discussion & extract from the novel:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday/s2493453.htm
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 05:00 am
@dlowan,
Thanks bunny. You reading anything good these days?
Kara

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 06:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, you will have started on one of your audiobooks by now, so I'm late in suggesting you begin on All the Pretty Horses. It was good...not as good as Blood Meridien...but a great read.

I wanted to download The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet on iTunes, to listen to on my iPod while walking or driving, but found it was almost $33.00.
No way.

I'm listening to Unbroken by Laura (something) and it's a remarkable story but either the writing or the narrator doesn't work for me...too golly-gosh-geewhiz about the protagonist's adventures.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 06:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
C.i., I was given a Kindle for Crimmas and "knew" I wouldn't use it. I'm not yet ready to move away from the tactile pleasures of real books. I fooled around with it, anyway, (it's wireless) and got the FT Weekend on a subscription, which is excellent reading. From the FT, I picked up a whole list of book recs, only to find that most of them aren't out in the US, yet! The Kindle is clunky to use but maybe I'll find a place for it in my armamentarium of tech devices.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 07:03 am
finished Book 2 – The King of the Vagabonds of Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and have decided to plunge into Cryptonomicon before continuing the rest of the books, after which i plan to read Anathem

Quicksilver, Vol. I of the Baroque Cycle

Book 1 – Quicksilver
Book 2 – The King of the Vagabonds
Book 3 – Odalisque

The Confusion, Vol. II of the Baroque Cycle

Book 4 – Bonanza
Book 5 – The Juncto

The System of the World, Vol. III of the Baroque Cycle

Book 6 – Solomon's Gold
Book 7 – Currency
Book 8 – The System of the World
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 07:21 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Thanks bunny. You reading anything good these days?

My kindle has me whirling between wondrous pleasures!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 11:51 am
I recently finished reading The Man Who Loved China by Simon Winchester. It's about a British eccentric biochemist, an academic at Cambridge, who writes about China's history of science and their discoveries by living in China to do his research.

What attracted me to this book is my introduction to Simon Winchester when I read "The Map That Changed the World" by Simon Winchester some years ago about the biography of William Smith, the geologist who designed the canals of England, and helped in the exploration of coal.

I highly recommend both books; they are well researched, and they are both very educational.