What BOOK are you reading right now?

Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:00 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. A surprisingly entertaining book.

You discovered Walter Moers! I'm so happy. Moers is the closest thing Germany has to Terry Pratchett. Every child in Germany knows Captain Bluebear. Germany's postal office even dedicated a stamp to him!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Kaeptn_Blaubaer.jpg

Any plans to read other books in Moers's cycle of Zamonia books? The City of Dreaming Books perhaps?
djjd62

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:09 pm
@Thomas,
sweet, the city of dreaming books is in the bargain section at my local book store, i keep seeing it and meaning to check it out, thanks for the tip
djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 01:08 pm
@djjd62,
picked up The City of Dreaming Books and Sarah Vowell's Wordy Shipmates on the bargain pile
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:55 pm
@djjd62,
Sarah Vowell's Wordy Shipmates is a great read (as per her usual quality output!) Funny and endearing! More educational then her other works and still just as good.
djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 04:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
i bought on you recommendation (sometime back, on this very thread i believe)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 04:46 pm
I pause in reading Ghosts of Spain - it is still a dense, rich, fascinating book to me; I'm on p 203 now - for spins at reading whole New Yorker magazines for a day or two.

Time for me to mention I do not appreciate eensy weenie page numbers. Publishers must be under 50.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 05:22 pm
@Thomas,
I'm certainly interested in more by Moers. But, I don't know what's out there (except the one you just mentioned).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:42 pm
quite liking City of Dreaming Books

used a gift card today to get Agent to the Stars and Brightest Day Volume 1

http://media.us.macmillan.com/jackets/258H/9780765357007.jpg

The space-faring Yherajk have come to Earth to meet us and to begin humanity’s first interstellar friendship. There’s just one problem: They’re hideously ugly and they smell like rotting fish.

So getting humanity’s trust is a challenge. The Yherajk need someone who can help them close the deal.

Enter Thomas Stein, who knows something about closing deals. He’s one of Hollywood’s hottest young agents. But although Stein may have just concluded the biggest deal of his career, it’s quite another thing to negotiate for an entire alien race. To earn his percentage this time, he’s going to need all the smarts, skills, and wits he can muster.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61FU516t3NL.jpg

Brightest Day is a year-long comic book maxi-series that began in April 2010. The story follows the ending of the series Blackest Night and how the aftermath of these events affect the entire DC Universe.

At the end of Blackest Night, 12 heroes and villains were resurrected for some unknown purpose. The events of Brightest Day follow the exploits of these heroes and villains as they attempt to learn the secret behind their salvation.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:46 pm
@djjd62,
Agent to the Stars will be my next book buy!
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:49 pm
Reading the Giller award winning The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre:

Quote:
Father Duncan MacAskill knows all about temptation, all the devious ways that lonely priests persuade themselves that their private needs trump their vows. His fellow men of the cloth call him the "Exorcist" behind his back because he's spent most of his priesthood as the bishop's clean-up man, the enforcer sent in to discipline the wayward priests and tidy away potential scandal. Tidy away the emotions of the victims too, which is something that has been increasingly wearing away at his sense of justice and calling.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:24 pm
I'm still not finished with Ghosts of Spain, but close - p. 295 of 372. I'm going to miss reading the book; it's been like chewing into a thick pastrami sandwich, rich and dense. I'm going to struggle to give it back to Diane, but of course I will. Meantime, I'll nurse along the last batch of pages. Anyway, easily among the best books - for me and my interests - that I've read in the last decade.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Are we talking fatty, lean, or extra lean pastrami here?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Remember the photo taken by littlek at the (what? Second Avenue Deli?) - that's my metaphor. Or simile, as the case may be.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
Got a Kindle for Xmas - I have already started collecting lots of books for cheap. My classics collection is going up, up, up. Reading some classic Sci-Fi short stories now, also, I have also started Aztec by Jennings - thanks to Deb! That is one heavy book, wish I had waited and bought it on my Kindle, much lighter!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:15 am
Kindle purchases (more than a year, two or even three of reading material) -

The Iliad and The Odyssey - Homer $0.99
Ulysses - James Joyce $0.00
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad $0.00
Night and Day - Virginia Wolfe $0.00
Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky $0.00
Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases - Original Unabridged Version - $0.99
4 Books By F. Scott Fitzgerald - $1.00
The Golden Age of Science Fiction Volume II: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Halcyon Classics) - $1.99
Best of The Sci-Fi Vintage Pulp 1952 --Short Stories by Asimov and Holden (Vintage Sci-Fi 1952) - $1.00
The Complete Works of O. Henry (with active table of contents) - $0.89
The Ultimate Collection of American Short Stories (100+ Stories) - $0.99
House of Mirth - Edith Wharton $0.00
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton $0.00

Total Cost = $7.85
djjd62

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:35 am
@tsarstepan,
very entertaining book, reminded me of some of my fave Alan Dean Foster "man meets alien" books (Quozl, Glory Lane, the Taken Trilogy)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:55 pm
I found an old copy of the foundation trilogy in a dusty cabinet at the cabin.

it's been a long time...

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 06:58 pm
@BillW,
This post of yours may spark my interest..

I finished Ghosts of Spain and am resting in a period of malaise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 07:09 pm
I plodded through Wicked. Had to re-read several sections several times. Plodded.

read at least a dozen books while I was chewing on it

now I'm on to

http://shelflove.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/confessions.jpg

and it is a fabulous read
I hate putting it down

the tulip boom in Holland has always fascinated me

I am loving this one.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:09 am
Currently reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. Anyone read it?
0 Replies