What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:30 am
@farmerman,
I have to catch up with Simon Winchester. Everyone loves his writing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:31 am
@ehBeth,
I've heard some dissenters on Bryson. It seems like 65% of his readers (and would-be readers) find him hysterical while there is a sizeable minority who think he's over-rated/
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:40 am
I love the fact that I read to my kids for so many years because, now, as adults, they are constantly sharing books with me. . . some of which are surprising.

Recently, after dealing with a densely written student paper, I remarked to a colleague from India who teaches business, that wading through the the paper hurt my eyes. He suggested I begin the course with a Hemingway short story. I thought that was a brilliant idea: simple sentences that put Hemingway's message across. In fact, I liked the idea so much that I shared it with my dean and with my daughter.

My daughter then presented me with some of the books she had been reading this summer: collections of O. Henry and Flannery O'Connor.

I've started with the O'Connor: A Good Man Is Hard To Find.
BillW

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:37 am
@plainoldme,
Got new books yesterday - first one I've started is "THR3E". New author for me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:13 am
Im easily amused and find many things funny. I like Brysons books about his US roots and acticvities. I did NIOT care for his trip across ENgland. That was kinda boring.

Ive followed Bryson for years , ever since he did a eulogy for his dad, who was one of the greatest US sports writers. Bryson kind of wrote like his dad , at least initially, hed pack a lot of the "factoids" in his prose and would be distracted (which was pure gimmick in his style).

I like authors who dont get lost in their own descriptive passages. I like the slam bam get to the point style that Bryson, among others, typifies.

In that respect Bryson shares his style with DAve Barry except without the fake references that BArry likes to pepper his writing with.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:42 pm
@farmerman,
" spike & co " - by graham mccann - inside the house of fun with milligan , sykes , galton , simpson and sellers .

i haven't " read " it , but it is enjoyable to kind of pick my way through the book a few pages at the time .

some of the guilty ones :

http://www.rubberpaw.com/old/upload/goons.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:46 pm
I'm still in thrall with Ghosts of Spain (thanks, Diane, for the lend), at page 129 of 374.
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:52 am
@ossobuco,
It's on my list courtesy of the recommendations here.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 04:19 am
@hamburgboy,
were these what the "Goons" looked like? Boy, they mostly looked like Lou Costello except for peter sellers.
I remember on weekend radio on WOR theyd have Bob and Ray, the Goons, and several radio dramas . I was a kid about 8 or 9 and wed all go into my room and listen to this humor. I dont know whethere we "got it " at that age but we had fun.

They did that entire poractice in during the 60's and I had only tv to fall back on. Radio was much better.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
I'm stalled on Robert Heinlein's The Cat that Walked Through Walls.

Finished the John Water's audiobook (at work) about his influences and it's appropriately titled Role Models. I'm not a fan of his movies but he has a sharp, biting, and wise sense of humor.

Started another audiobook at work, The Stars, Like Dust by Issac Asimov. So far, Heinlein seems a little dated by Asimov doesn't to me.

I have to keep in mind that The Cat... is some kind of self-invented Book-Noir in Space so the characters' anachronistic attitudes (marriage, sex, gender roles, etc...) don't bother me too much.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:53 pm
@BillW,
Aztec?

http://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Gary-Jennings/dp/0765317508/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292561566&sr=1-1
BillW

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:03 pm
@dlowan,
ooh, ooh, ooh - I love historical fiction - I think this is a true find, thanks little bunny!
dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:13 pm
@BillW,
Pleased to be of service.
BillW

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:25 pm
@dlowan,
Book is on its way, delivery date - Dec
dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:02 am
@BillW,
Hope you like it.

There's some awfully cruel stuff in there.

And then the Spaniards arrive....

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
BillW

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:12 am
@dlowan,
I just saw the Crystal Skull for the second time a few weeks ago. Getting past the total childish parts, it is based on history - like all other Indiana Jones movies. The will suffice my desire for more information. I understand there are 2 more weeks in the series. Maybe I'll make it a trilolgy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:30 am
I stopped reading Stiff. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I went to a bookstore warehouse sale and had other books to read! Stiff is one you can put down and go back to. Still reading The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. A surprisingly entertaining book.
BillW

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 12:26 pm
Currently reading "Street Lawyer" from Grisham. 100 pages in, it is pretty good.....
djjd62

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 12:33 pm
@BillW,
one of my favourite scenes from the tv show 3rd Rock, had the aliens reading grisham novels to better seem to fit in, they all list different titles, but when one begins to describe the book they're reading, disillusioned lawyer decides to buck the system and help turn the tide for the downtrodden, they all chime in, that's what my grisham's about

BillW

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 01:02 pm
@djjd62,
I love that show.......
0 Replies