What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 08:16 pm
@panzade,
That's really funny. I hope you are laughing over that "gift" today!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 12:56 pm
@spendius,
Spendius, there are books to read on audio and books to hold in your hand. I struggled to read Hawking's book on the Universe, although I love that stuff, so I got it in an audio book and finished it with great enjoyment and understanding. Usually, I'll read a "serious" book or a non-fiction one but listen to a fiction work. But (cf: Hawking) there are exceptions.
panzade

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 01:05 pm
@Kara,
I have to agree kara. Hawking's book worked a lot better as an audio. So does C.S. Forester and Raymond Chandler. History books, I have to go back and forth to get the salient points so I prefer the actual book.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 01:11 pm
as I told Thomas yesterday, I am currently reading "Whole Earth Discipline/An Ecopragmatist Manifesto" by Steward Brand.
panzade

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 01:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Brand's carved out a niche. What's he on about now.?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 01:35 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Brand's carved out a niche. What's he on about now.?
in a nutshell, saving ourselves via engineering and technology.
panzade

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 01:52 pm
@dyslexia,
Tip o' the hat
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Works for me, Dys. Engineering and technology are what we are evolving to, not as our masters but as we ourselves and our minds will become. Time to reread Kidder's Soul of a New Machine...
panzade

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:23 pm
@Kara,
Quote:
Time to reread Kidder's Soul of a New Machine.

I enjoyed that
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:41 pm
@Kara,
Kara wrote:

Works for me, Dys. Engineering and technology are what we are evolving to, not as our masters but as we ourselves and our minds will become. Time to reread Kidder's Soul of a New Machine...

I wonder how outdated that book's tech is considering it was published in 1981. Light centuries away in terms of technological progress.
ismbella

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 03:41 pm
I'm reading a book called The Maze Runner. I think it's more geared towards teens, but it's an extremely interesting read.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Kara wrote:

I wonder how outdated that book's tech is considering it was published in 1981. Light centuries away in terms of technological progress.
published 2009
Kara

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, I probably shouldn't have used that book as an example. I was always fetched by the title and it seemed to express more than what the story was about.

A better example would be the discovery the astronomer was talking about today on Science Friday, that the very small difference in positive value that matter holds over anti-matter is greater in effect than had been thought and could explain why we are here. Rather than not here.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I think Tsar's talking about Kidder not Brand. Being dated.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@Kara,
Yeah. Tracy Kidder won the Pulitzer Award in 1981 for that work on early computing. My stepfather worked at Data General sometime in the early 1980's.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:37 pm
Sticking with Hamlet . . . am going to tackle the complete works this summer.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:53 pm
@plainoldme,
Are you this literarily this ambitious out of necessity or out of an actual desire to tackle the complete works of Shakespeare? Shocked
Pemerson

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:44 pm
I'm finishing up Angelology by Danielle Trussoni. Strange book. First I think it's a book of horror, then a book about the science of Angelology as if that actually did exist (maybe still does?). Lastly, it's a love story about a nun who falls in love with the right guy, all the while fighting beautifully horrible angels. It also could be a da vinci code copy-cat book. It's also a fairy tale, one of those fascinating stories of good vs evil. Altogether, a good read, though.

Kara

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, those were amazing and exciting days. I'll bet your stepdad felt the excitement.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:18 am
@plainoldme,
POM, you are obviously not going to the beach... Wink