What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@msolga,
JPB sent me a book, I'm sure at some aggravation to herself, a book a lot of us were interested in, and I couldn't get through it - and now I forget the title.

There was this drop it book thing going on - is it still? I forget the name of the group. Back in Humboldt County, you would find books lying around in coffee shops. I've dropped books in several places, but not here in New Mexico yet. I never did get into signing up with stickers to add, or whatever the mechanism was - just left books in places.
djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
there's an internet version of that i believe, you can register books you've left and books you've found on line, i keep meaning to look it up but haven't
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I finished 'The Poisoners Handbook". Its a story about the birth and rise of forensic science in the US (starting in NY state in 1917). The history of detection of poisons from earlier years is presented as scientific discoveries because these earlier attempts were never accepted as scientific evidence in courts of France England or the US of the 18th and 19th centuries

Beginning "The Peaceable Kingdom Lost" - A story of how wwe treated the Indians in Pa just before the AMerican Revolution. It features the Buzzard and PAxton Boys massacres.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@spendius,
Hah, I'd started an earlier book of his. No way I'd buy the da Vinci Code in the first place. I admit I've read some trash in my general readathon about italy and its history, but I don't purposely waste my own time.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:51 pm
@djjd62,
Yes, that's what I'm talking about, didge.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I listened to the Da V Code as an MP3 CD in my truck. It made a ripping yarn when read to me as I drove along. I dont think Id waste any retinal space though. The movie was actually better. Sorta like STephen Kings stuff, lotsa bad books that make great movies.
djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
i've listened to the davinci code and angels and demons (will probably listen to the lost symbol too), not bad as listens, but i'd probably not read them, although i did read his book deception point last year on vacation (bought for $0.50 at a yard sale)

i've read and or listened to worse, nice little diversion stories
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
I think but am not sure that the book I short read was angels and demons - I admit to following potboilers set in italy, much as I've read Goethe, James, and Montaigne and other visitors, and the occasional italians when I was studying the language to no avail, but I have a short fuse, and bad writing annoys me as I age. I've probably read five hundred books on italy, from scholarly to complete schlock. My patience grows shorter while my interest remains.

Hey, folks, here's a website for those who might not be offended -
http://www.onlyinitaly.com/
djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
but I have a short fuse, and bad writing annoys me as I age.

i swore i'd never listen to an audiobook, but for some reason i've found that books like the DVC work better if taken as a sort of radio play, rather than a novel
spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 05:13 pm
@djjd62,
There's only books. You can go back over sentences in books. A bit like wine tasters do when they roll the swig around their taste buds in order to appreciate the finer points of the bouquette.

How could anybody understand Proust by hearing it read. And I doubt anybody could even read Tristram Shandy aloud. The reader would need to be absent a sense of humour. The best writers write to be read and not heard.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 05:26 pm
@spendius,
We can agree, in that I regard books well.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:09 pm
@spendius,
i read more than listen, but i've enjoyed listening to some books i'd never have read other wise, like the harry potter series read by stephen fry

plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:13 pm
@farmerman,
All the material that made up the Da Vinci Code was covered ad nauseam in many other books. It is so popular in France that prior to Dan Brown, there were two made for television French movies.

If you are interested, you would be better off reading Jean Markale on the subjects covered. Unlike Dan Brown, the late Markale wrote well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:24 pm
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ARuq0JH2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fraser is a great historian, I'll read anything by her.
verbivore

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:30 pm
@panzade,
Kim - rudyard kipling
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 04:26 am
I'm revisiting the great classic psychohistory novel by Issac Asimov, Foundation. Even as a teenager, I knew I should have put it done for a later date.

I'm so enjoying it now. Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:29 am
@djjd62,
I know exactly what you mean. I can not read a self-help book. Just can't get into them. A friend wanted me to read something once . . . perhaps one of those John Grey books about Venus and Mars . . . and I found I could listen to it in the car but could not read it.

I bet Stephen Fry's reading of Harry Potter is fantastic.
panzade

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@plainoldme,
An ex gave me Mars-Venus to read and we split up in no time.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@panzade,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:40 pm
@panzade,
Dumbest. Book. Ever.
0 Replies