What BOOK are you reading right now?

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:02 am
@msolga,
No...wanna tell us about it?

I am just getting near the finish of TC Boyle's book about Kinsey; "The Inner Circle"....it's been a great way of finding more about those folk.
msolga

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:28 am
@dlowan,
Geography or the new one, Deb?

If you mean the new one, I'm yet to start reading it!
wertyiu102

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:35 am
@msolga,
i did!!!! I cannot find interesting books in the library!
msolga

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:42 am
@wertyiu102,
Goodness me! A library full of boring books! Wink Laughing
spikepipsqueak

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 01:14 am
@msolga,
wertyiu102, without knowing your tastes, try THE SPARROW by Mary Doria Russell. That was the last book a librarian recommended to me that blew me away. It might do the same for you.
littlek

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:43 pm
Rereading The Pearl by Steinbeck, this time as a teacher. I don't remember when I read it before.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:55 pm
@littlek,
reading Umberto Eco's Travels in Hyper Reality and, a book Diane leant me, David Hewson's The Garden of Evil, set in italy. I think I've read Hewson before, not sure. Which is to say, I think I remember the woman pathologist if not the book protagonist. Diane found it important, re moral choices. I'm not far enough into it to see that yet.

I'm a little jaded. I've probably read 1,672 novels set in Italy and have developed a level of blur plus a certain fix pulse.
Will report.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:58 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Geography or the new one, Deb?

If you mean the new one, I'm yet to start reading it!

Geography, then.

But..one presumes you know somrthing about the new one?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:00 pm
@dlowan,
Boyle, I like Boyle.
I have abandoned, for the moment, Nicolo Machiavelli and his florentine histories. The introduction pooped me out.
Realistically, I have to be out of police procedurals and new yorkers to get engrossed with Machiavelli, but it can happen.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:07 pm
I'm reading a book about how we are all controlled. I won't say what it's called because I don't thing reading it would do you all any good.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:12 pm
@msolga,
hehehe
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
Hmm.... Well, I like sort of fantsy/ adventure books, Not romantic, but with a slight hint of love... So I don't like Twilight at all, no offense to the many people who do.. First 5 pages of Twilight, then I gave it back to my friend. My favorite series are 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians' By Rick Riordan, 'Septimus Heap' by Angie Sage, and 'Harry Potter' by J.K. Rowling. The first 2 series can be read over and over. The thing is, they probably aren't real, and never will be. Playing outside with my friends, who have also read Septimus Heap, I like to act out like Jenna Heap. Her character in this story makes me read on, as with the character of Beetle. All must read books, by the way.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:24 pm
@msolga,
I am only interested in familiar books. Someone close to me has to say that it's a good book, also, I hate books that take a long time to get interesting, I like when that happens in the 1st or second chapter. Also, most of my fave. stories have names I like, like Annabeth (Percy Jackson) and Jenna (Septimus Heap). Smile
raprap

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:32 pm
Not ten minutes ago I just finished "Knockemstiff" by Donald Ray Pollack, a series of short stories about the damaged individuals from Knockhemstiff, Ohio.

Knockemstiff is a real place not too far from Chillicothe where the author grew up. The stories are just fictional enough to make them believable to those who know the area (like me) and unbelievable to those who don't, but loe to laught at dismal hillbillies.

Pollack is a first time author and he's crafted a good read but one that could aggreviate a depression.

Rap
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
But..one presumes you know somrthing about the new one?

That is a reasonable presumption for one to make, Deb! Wink

Especially since I have now read 130 (of the 800+ pages) of this is all The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn. It is about about adolescence, for adolescents, according to the reviews. (Though the back cover includes the statement: "Not suitable for young readers".Go figure ...)
It is written from the point of view of 19 year old Cordelia, for her as yet unborn daughter. She's a passionate writer & chooses the old Japanese pillow book as her mode of communication. Basically it is the story of her teenage years. (Written by a 70 year old male author!)

Anyway, whether the target audience for this book is teenagers or not, I'm finding it a very interesting read, so far. But then, I've spent most of my adult life working with adolescents & find this a fascinating stage of development, so this could well explain my interest.

This might tell you more than I can at this early stage:

Quote:
.... (the)first-person narrator, is 19 and pregnant. Because her vocation is poetry and writing is necessary to her life, she compiles what she intends to share with her unborn daughter when the child is 16: the narrative of her own life from just before her 16th birthday to the present, interspersed with the 'pillow book' she has assembled in these years. A 'pillow book', on a Japanese model, is defined here by Ivan Morris as a 'notebook or collection of notebooks...in which the author would from time to time record impressions, daily events, poems, letters, stories, ideas, descriptions of people, etc'. The narrative thread is thus accompanied by abundant deviations, digressions, interruptions, pauses, during which we gather insights into the hidden, true, complex Cordelia, in whose house of self are many rooms. What Cordelia the young writer intends as a way of being contemporary with her child is also in practice a kind of teaching and initiation. This story shall the woman teach her daughter. Cordelia loves her Shakespeare, and allusions to him are recurrent and plentiful: the novel is about many things besides Cordelia, one of them that a life lives on in language and writing and is recoverable. Which, as things turn out, is just as well.

The book is immense, in size, ambition, scope and reach. The torment, joy and intensity of sexual learning can rarely have been caught so vividly. Here is not only Cordelia's sexual, emotional and mental history in these years, recorded in intimate, self-interrogating detail, but also the life behind the life, where language quarries deeply to bring private order out of turbulence. This is 'all' of Cordelia, and only a vast book can contain it.

http://www.aidanchambers.co.uk/books/thisisall.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:56 pm
@wertyiu102,
Hi there, wertyiu!
I hope you've found something good to get your teeth into by now. It is a truly terrible predicament, I know ...: wanting (like mad!) to get stuck into the next fascinating book, but not being able to find it yet! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 07:39 pm
@msolga,
I'm back to Umberto Eco and Stories of HyperReality after a visit to contemporary Rome in the police procedural, Garden of Evil by David Hewson.
Hard to say if I recommend that one - if you're an italy nut like me you may enjoy it, as I did, for the virtual bath of imagery about the centro storico, old Rome. I've photographed the off-the-tourist-track neighborhood that is the immediate set place for the book. On the other hand, the book seemed to go on and on and on. On the other hand, again, the central construct was interesting, whether or not I bought it.

0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:41 pm
@msolga,
I won't have my fave. series to read until next month!!! My favorite series have a book coming in April, May & SEptember!
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:58 am
@wertyiu102,
Well, goodness, then .... you might have to read something completely new (gasp) till your favourites are available, wertyiu!
Might I humbly suggest a bit of poetry? You might even find you like it! Wink
wertyiu102

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:36 pm
@msolga,
I do like some poetry... I mean, guessing at the answers is really fun

Maybe I will re read some books, but only the not-so-boring ones. Maybe I will search the web for interesting books. I also like a book called the scarecrow and it's master Or something like that.... I read it 3 yrs. ago
0 Replies