What BOOK are you reading right now?

georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Henry James, The American. Have had the book for years., never read it.

Well, I'll say I haven't stopped reading it yet, despite temptation.

I read it a couple of years ago. A bit dated, but still an interesting tale and one that illustrates the distinct self images of Americans (at least upper class east Coast types), compared to European views of them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:49 pm
@georgeob1,
Agree. It's gotten more interesting as I've persevered. I'm not quite to the end yet.
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Didn't he write The Golden Bowl? And wasn't that made into a movie?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:15 pm
@bathsheba,
Yes, I see he did. (I haven't read it, but just checked on google.)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's Wikipedia on Henry James, prolific fellow...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_James

The only other book I've read of his is his travel commentary, "Italian Hours".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:14 pm
Still working on the Groucho Marx letters book. It's not at all what I expected. I knew he was more than a creater of quips, but I'm really marvelling at some of the correspondences. His exchanges with t s eliot were particularly, well, sweet.
verbivore

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 06:15 am
@ehBeth,
Mario Puzo - The Godfather
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 07:08 am
Nixonland by Rick Perlstein...a good read but I could have edited better than whoever did the editing and that ain't saying much!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:46 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KQ1Y65V2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

another wonderful Laurie Colwin to read and re-read and read and re-read
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah, Colwin....

Meantime, I'm just starting Machiavelli's Florentine Histories.
I don't know if I'll make it through, as the translator's introduction almost did me in.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:50 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Ah, Colwin....

Who is this person, Laurie Colwin, who is being aaaaaaaaahed about by osso & ehBeth, while being read by VN? Confused

I have the nagging feeling I've missed out on something very important here!
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:09 am
@msolga,
Search in Amazon, or Barnes and Noble, and they will list the boks and there will be reviews.

So far I glean that this person is prolific and writes about cooking a lot.

I am reading one of Cynthia Moss's accounts of her elephant research.

Fascinating!!!

As well as continuing with Harvey and the other books I mentioned.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:29 am
@dlowan,
Thanks, Deb.

I was curious to know what she meant to our northern American folk. Obviously she's pretty important!

It sounds like you're experiencing a reading fest right now! Good when that happens, isn't it? Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:50 am
@msolga,
She was a food writer for.. I think it was Gourmet magazine.. who also wrote novels, every one of which I enjoyed, with various themes about relationships/marriage. Can't remember if she also had a book of short stories. Anyway, she died young, I think in her late forties, of an aneurysm. I remember being crushed to hear it.

I liked her like I like Alice Munro and a few others, but she wrote differently than Munro.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:09 am
@ossobuco,
More Home Cooking is a collection of essays. About food, but more about life and people and relationships. Another night-table Laurie Colwin. She's definitely a read-again author. I already have two of her books at my bedside as well as an Elizabeth David. You can just pick them up and start reading anywhere.

http://www.nybooks.com/nyrb/authors/8498
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I think Elizabeth David is terrific, too, EhBeth. Very interesting woman, say nothing of a well-before-her-time cooking writer!

Laurie Colwin I am definitely going to check out. I'll now consider her "highly recommended"! Very Happy

Thanks, too, osso & VN!
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
I was paging through the "graphic novel" The Watchmen last night.
Not my cup of tea.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:22 pm
I don't have a book to read right now. I've read all of the interesting ones in my house. Some of my fave series have a book coming out in May or June.
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:45 pm
@wertyiu102,
Quote:
I don't have a book to read right now. I've read all of the interesting ones in my house. ...

Sounds an excellent time to join you local library, wertyiu102! Smile
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:08 pm
Just finishing Sophie Cunningham's (Oz writer) novel, Geography. An account of an obsessive relationship with an older man, places, travel & the distances between people. I'm not good about reading about other people's obsessions Wink so it'll be a wee bit of a relief when I've finished.

Waiting to be read next, is This is All - The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn.
Have any of you read it?