What BOOK are you reading right now?

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:59 pm
Bohne wrote:
Actually haven't finished the last one, but started Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, yesterday.

Quite funny

Yeah - Pratchett! I haven't even heard of that one. Old or new?
Equus

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone

I usually only read light fiction. But someone gave this to me, and its 700 pages intimidated me so I put it aside until recently. But I was surprised to find it fascinating once I started it. I'm about halfway through. This is biographical fiction about the sculptor Michelangelo. The book covers his whole life. The movie with Charlton Heston covers only a small piece of the greater story told here.
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:43 pm
What's the book's first sentence Equus?
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:25 pm
Equus wrote:
The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone

I usually only read light fiction. But someone gave this to me, and its 700 pages intimidated me so I put it aside until recently. But I was surprised to find it fascinating once I started it. I'm about halfway through. This is biographical fiction about the sculptor Michelangelo. The book covers his whole life. The movie with Charlton Heston covers only a small piece of the greater story told here.

I absolutely loved that book. You either do or you don't. The guy was absolutely driven.

I am reading a book by Ben Macintyre "Josiah the Great", The True Story of the Man Who Would Be King. Talk about fascinating! A little different from the Hollywood version.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:59 pm
just finished re-reading neil gaiman's "neverwhere"

started reading "american gods" by the same author

listening to "the talisman" by stephen king and peter straub
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:10 pm
Somehow the new site is bumping up plenty of old threads I've been missing so far. This is one of them.

I'm currently reading a book by the philosopher Daniel Dennet, Freedom Evolves. It's about the question how our traditional concept of free will is consistent (or not) with the new discoveries of neurologists in brain physiology. After exploring the subject from various interesting angles, he concludes that free will continues to be a valid concept.

I'm making very slow progress reading this book, but in this particular case that's a feature, not a bug. Dennet's writing is readable, logical and captivating -- not a common combination among philosophers -- but every ten pages or so, I have to lay the book aside and think -- and than I find related things to think about too, which leads to yet other thoughts, and so on.

This, of course, is by no means the worst thing a book can do to you, so I'm more than happy of progressing on a 20 pages a day basis.
djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 04:57 am
@Thomas,
Somehow the new site is bumping up plenty of old threads I've been missing so far. This is one of them.

probably people tagging favourites, that's what i've been doing
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 05:00 am
@djjd62,
Cool about the tagging/ voting doing what it's supposed to do.

I just finished Daniel Gilbert's "Stumbling on Happiness." SO good. Highly recommended. Starts stronger than it finishes but fascinating throughout, IMO. (Hmm, could probably get a sig line out of it...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:02 pm
Funny, I just decided to look up this thread.. under, duh, books, and found it easily, since it was listed first, and maybe that had something to do with tags (I don't know.)

So, I'm reading December Heat by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza, in english translation, my third book by him. It's one of a police procedural series set in Rio, specifically the Copocabana, Ipanema, and Peixoto areas. Our protagonist is not your usual policeman, something of a routine mode for police procedural protagonists, but slightly different with emphasis on a certain quiet psychological exploration. I like the books for more than the usual reasons of sense of place and decent writing ability - I actually like his writing for itself, presuming the translation is related.

To quote the San Francisco Chronicle, "Full of startling twists and clever misdirection. Garcia-Roza is an eclectic expert at literary sleight of hand, flashing cards from the decks of Robbe-Grillet, Poe, Hemingway, and even Mickey Spillane." Well, I've only read Hemingway and Spillane. I just like the writing.

I should add it seems to me an excellent translation by Benjamin Moser.
The other two books I've read by Garcia-Roza are Southwesterly Wind, and
The Silence of the Rain.
rhachis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Cities of the Plains
by Cormac McCarthy
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:18 am
@littlek,
Quote:
Bohne wrote:
Actually haven't finished the last one, but started Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, yesterday.

Quite funny

Yeah - Pratchett! I haven't even heard of that one. Old or new?

At least five or six years old.
It is funny, but useful, too.
Some of the recipes sound really good!
Bohne

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:19 am
@Bohne,
O and in between I started 'For whom the bell tolls'
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@littlek,
HAROLD BLOOM'S. compendium--"Genius"--A mosiacof One Hundred exemplary creative minds-- It is a wonderful book
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@littlek,
The Covenant - and I can't understand much of it just because it has a lot of Jewish remarks and phrases and I'm not Jewish. However, I will finish it and ask a friend to explain. :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
I'm reading Michael Pollan's 1997 book, A Place of My Own (The Education of an Amateur Builder).

I like it a lot and have several quotes already to put on a couple of my old threads, Wee Houses, and Tiny Houses. He gives his own observations, obviously, through the process of building a little writing studio on his property, but he also gives a lot of other people's points of view on such an endeavor: Thoreau, sure, but much more.

I bought the book originally because I'm interested in small housing, easy on the land, and I've also built my own studio, now about fifteen years ago, from near scratch, taking down three of the exterior walls of our old garage, adding beams, windows, doors, etc.

Plus I like design in general, and site design, as in working out what goes where on the land, and why.

Pollan is very thoughtful, so much so that if I were married to him I might be forced to scream, "enough already" every once in a while... but I'm mostly appreciative of his thoughtful discourse.

I'd recommend it highly to anyone with similar interests.

http://www.amazon.com/Place-My-Own-Education-Amateur/dp/0385319908/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222296694&sr=8-1

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:01 pm
The Divine Sarah by Arthur Gold and Robert Fizdale.

A hair-raising tell of derring-do.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:01 pm
@Equus,
I have read this several times. It really is very interesting.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:07 pm
I am working my way through the Harry Dresden Files by Butcher. I am on the fifth one right now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
Started Howl's Moving Castle last night - a fabulous young-adult book!
djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:50 am
@littlek,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/UnUnDun%281stEd%29.jpg

a pretty cool tale, two young girls on an adventure in a london that's nothing like the one they grew up in

the story has an alice in wonderland meets harry potter kind of vibe, the author may be setting himself up for a series, as he mentions other cities that mirror their real world counterparts, Parisn't, No York, etc

Publisher's site
Un Lun Dun
Wikipedia
Un Lun Dun
0 Replies